BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-07-2011, 02:31 AM   #1
sonicbimmer19
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 and F32

Squeaky noise from window

Hello all,

I have a e88 (128i convertible) and the squeaky noise coming from the back window of the driver's side is driving me nuts.
With the top down, it's worst. But I don't hear any noises when I roll the back window of driver's seat down.

So, I googled it and the problem seem to be easier fix than I thought. I thought I had to go through taking the window out and stuff, but what I found on the internet is that the sound is coming from rubber seals around the window and all I need to do it lubricate it with silicone or rubber spray.

But I was unable to find specific and detailed instruction on how to do it. Is there difference between silicone and rubber sprays? Where do you get one? (I couldn't find any on Pepboys website) and what exact parts of the seals/rubbers around the window do you apply it? How much do you apply?

Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated. The noise is literally driving me crazy.
I am still under warranty so I can just take my car in but I guess it's never a bad idea to learn.

Thanks in advance guys!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 08:54 AM   #2
shodanusmc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135 Vert

It could also be the window regulator. Mine did it, was replaced under warranty, and problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 03:44 PM   #3
sonicbimmer19
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks Shodanusmc.

This morning I ordered "1Z Gummi Pflege" from Autogeeks.
Gummi Pflege is specifically made to use on rubber seals around your car and these used to be available at BMW dealers but not anymore. People on the internet said this usually does the job of making the squeaky sound go away.
I really hope this will help but if not, I will take my car in to have them look at it and hopefully get the regulators replaced under my warranty.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 05:01 PM   #4
peepsdayz
driver
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Dupont Krytox is the only thing that works for me and lasts a lot longer that any other silicone or grease... not cheap but its worth it.

Make sure you buy it in pure form... lots of products claim this but only a few really are.

If under waranty take it to the dealer....
      10-02-2011, 03:46 AM   #5
sonicbimmer19
Lieutenant
Rep

Anyone know what's/where's window "binding?"
I took my car in for the squeaky window noise, my advisor told me they lubed "window binding inside" and the obnoxious squeaky noise is completely gone!
I'm not sure if inside means inside of the car or inside as in like inside where I can't see..
Appreciate 0