BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-20-2011, 03:02 AM   #1
competition
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C

Rsd Stainless Steel Brake Lines

Honestly guys, this has got to be the best bang for your buck mod out there. It’s cheap, powerful, and instantly effective.

I was browsing the vendor classifieds section and I came across the RSD Stainless Steel Brake Lines.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=486625

I never thought about upgrading anything in my brakes except getting a BBK later on and then I came across the advertisement for the brake lines. For that price, I thought ‘why not?’ and I called Bavarian Exclusive immediately and set up an appointment to have the RSD SS Brake Lines installed. They included BMW Brake Fluid along with the install. I was upset that I didn’t get to finish watching Talladega Nights in their waiting room because they finished the install so quickly!

Now, I’ll move onto the review of the product. I drive a 135i and for a little car it comes with some decently sized brakes with a lot of stopping power. Although they are awesome brakes, at times I found them to be a little spongy in feeling. I also did not like it when it had brake fade after a hard run in the canyons. After having them installed, the braking felt VERY linear and way more solid. As you press against brake pedal, the feeling is the same as your foot follows through. BMW’s 6-piston brakes paired with these RSD Stainless Steel Brake Lines seem like an ultimate combo in stopping power.

Thanks again to BavarianExclusive! and thanks for looking guys! I appreciate any feedback!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 08:27 AM   #2
romak47
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a bat out of hell

I was actually thinking of getting these soon. Talked to a neighbor few days ago and he said hardened brake lines are one of thee best bang for buck mods on a brake system.
Gonna bleed my brake and clutch soon, so i might get these installed same time.

Thanks for writeup.
JB4, DCI, Digi boost, CSL eyelids, 5% tint, KW v2's. Bastuck 85mm quad w/ berk resonated mids, LED int ltg, Perf SSK, CF int trim, 19" SF-71 rims, CDV mod, BMS OCC, ER+tial charge pipe. AR DP's, Helix IC,meth, drilled slotted rotors
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2011, 09:19 AM   #3
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Are these front and rear?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 10:13 AM   #4
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Good upgrade if you track your car otherwise pointless since you will never work the brakes that hard on the streets. Also you won't notice much difference unless the rubber hosing has aged and softened up causing ballooning when brake fluid temps are really raised. You should upgrade your brake fluid and pads for max benefit
      02-21-2011, 01:00 PM   #5
Brian@bavarianx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by goeslikeschnell View Post

Thanks again to BavarianExclusive! and thanks for looking guys!
No problem! Glad to hear you're liking your new brake lines! When are you coming in for the Brembo BBK upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 09:59 PM   #6
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

I ordered a set of these a week ago and have yet to hear peep about anything with shipping.
      03-11-2011, 11:02 PM   #7
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue View Post
Good upgrade if you track your car otherwise pointless since you will never work the brakes that hard on the streets. Also you won't notice much difference unless the rubber hosing has aged and softened up causing ballooning when brake fluid temps are really raised. You should upgrade your brake fluid and pads for max benefit
I think thats totally false, the whole idea of the SS lines is to eliminate the spongy feel of the brakes overall, this is not just during heavy breaking at all, this is ALL the time. I am also looking at doing this as well as I have the Cool Carbon pads which are more linear and the braking performance is more spread out as opposed to the instant crazyness that the stock pads have. However they pedal feel is still spongy and starts to lack that pinch after good heavy braking and this mod should take care of that.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 09:08 AM   #8
Lubo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15 335 iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by thez99 View Post
I think thats totally false, the whole idea of the SS lines is to eliminate the spongy feel of the brakes overall, this is not just during heavy breaking at all, this is ALL the time. I am also looking at doing this as well as I have the Cool Carbon pads which are more linear and the braking performance is more spread out as opposed to the instant crazyness that the stock pads have. However they pedal feel is still spongy and starts to lack that pinch after good heavy braking and this mod should take care of that.
You do realize that OEM lines are SS right? lines in questions are just smaller in diameter. I too have moved away from OEM pads and have done 7 events to date with this car. Only time I was able to induce spongy feel was when I cooked the fluid.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 01:49 PM   #9
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubo View Post
You do realize that OEM lines are SS right? lines in questions are just smaller in diameter. I too have moved away from OEM pads and have done 7 events to date with this car. Only time I was able to induce spongy feel was when I cooked the fluid.
Um huh?? Can someone confirm this cuz ive never heard of oem brake lines being SS unless perhaps with a specific performance car like a porsche or M..

That and all the SS line advertisings Ive seen specifically for the 135 say "to replace the weaker stock rubber lines" or something to that affect.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 03:05 PM   #10
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
^ dude, what you most likely experienced was fade not sponginess. either way, if you were able to induce either scenario I would hate to think how you drive on the streets. the only way you could get sponginess is if the rubber hose was old and had softened up. it would take quite a lot for the hose to get to that point unless you drive like a maniac and cook those brakes regularly which sounds like you do so maybe you could use the SS lines after all. oh and you should know better not to buy into vendors advertising. they just want to sell their products
      03-12-2011, 04:32 PM   #11
Lubo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15 335 iX

OEM lines are SS reinforced rubber lines. They do not balloon up as much as some vendors make it seem like, especially on a car with few thousand miles.

It is a nice upgrade if: a)you track the car frequently or b)originals are worn out and need to be replaced. Otherwise I wouldn't go ahead and throw out perfectly good lines prematurely but that is just me. If your butt dyno tells you otherwise and inspires confidence to push your car harder it was a good upgrade. Besides they do not cost an arm and a leg, like some other things (lsd for manual car ).
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 10:38 PM   #12
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue View Post
^ dude, what you most likely experienced was fade not sponginess. either way, if you were able to induce either scenario I would hate to think how you drive on the streets. the only way you could get sponginess is if the rubber hose was old and had softened up. it would take quite a lot for the hose to get to that point unless you drive like a maniac and cook those brakes regularly which sounds like you do so maybe you could use the SS lines after all. oh and you should know better not to buy into vendors advertising. they just want to sell their products
Ah well sorry to disappoint but i dont drive like a maniac, quite the opposite most of the time. Just figured the SS lines would tighten up the pedal feel and performance a bit. Its not like we're talkin about mucho dollars for this either
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 11:17 AM   #13
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
^ thank god you don't. we don't need another road kill story. look into evolution raceworks ss lines. you can get them in various colors. they look good when you are under the car