BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-02-2011, 12:13 PM   #1
Xaeryan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sideways mostly

Track days: separate discs to bed with track pads?

As the title says, does anyone with real track experience have suggestions/pros/cons of purchasing a separate set of rotors to bed specifically with track-only pads?
Or is it sufficient to simply repeat the bedding procedure each time track pads are swapped in? (I plan on reusing stock rotors for autocross use with HP+ pads, but for track days with track pads I'm debating separate rotors)
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 11:58 PM   #2
moveswiftly
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Cayman GT4, 135i

Garage List
2012 335iS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
Rotor and pad bedding is usually only required once. With the pads you are trying to finish bake the pad material and remove the excess resin. With rotors you are trying to apply a film of brake pad material to produce the best friction coefficient and pad life.

Even though most race brake pad companies do not recommend using different pads on the same rotor, in my testing of different pads on the same rotor I have not seen a tangible difference.

YMMV
I don't agree with this. You do it ONLY once if you have separate rotors for your track pads. But if you use the rotors for both street / track pads, both will not grip to the full extent till you bed either in.

I use BMW rotors with my HAWK HT10 pads and a separate set of rotors for my BMW pads. I do notice a BIG difference if i simply swap pads and don't bed them in again.

Also, you can pickup stock rotors for about 50 bucks shipped on the forums. Its much easier than having to bed the pads in every time (A PITA and tough on highways sometimes).

YMMV as well....

Gone but not forgotten: Cayman GT4, M2C, 2011 135i, E83 X3 6MT, 2016 SO M3, 2012 335iS, 2010 135i and 2006 e90 325xi
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 08:09 AM   #3
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Been thinking about a second set of rotors & pads myself. just too lazy to go through a swap every time. otherwise a good practice if you start really getting into tracking
      03-08-2011, 12:12 PM   #4
Alow
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E82 128i, F36 430i GC

I've done both using the same rotor & separate rotors/pads on my track car.

Same rotor works if the compounds between track and street pads are compatible; or if the track pad is so abrasive that is able to remove the street pad compound when bedded in. If you don't do many track days, this is probably the way to go as per some recommendations I was given.

Separate rotor/pads is great because you bed them once and that's it. The brakes should also last longer, but the tradeoff is you have to swap back and forth. Cost-wise it probably becomes a wash at the end. This was recommended to me if you do a lot of track days
Appreciate 0