BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-10-2017, 08:06 PM   #1
jasera94
Rep
Drives: 135i

N54 Oil | Pcv

Hi Team,

I haven't owned my N54 for long and used to own a stage 2 GTI.

with the GTI I could check if the pcv was bad by starting the car and opening the oil cap, if the engine idle was fine then the pcv was broken and if it was a rough idle it was fine.

I did the same test with the N54 and found its idle was perfectly fine with the oil cap open? PCV busted??

I also noticed the oil around the oil cap was chunky and gooey? even though oil was replaced 500km ago.

appreciate any feedback!

many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 06:43 PM   #2
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

Pcv Valve - N54

I changed to a RB Turbo PCV Valve because "The OEM plastic PCV valve does not hold pressure well even when brand new. What the leaky PCV valve means is that when you are in boosted conditions, the "highly" pressurized PCV valve leaks turbocharged pressures into the crankcase. Pending on the condition of your PCV valve it could leak worse than others. Also if for some reason your valve cover is cracked, loose, or has a bad gasket; you also could develop a pressure leak either external to the engine or internal into the crankcase causing further pressurization of the crankcase or other oil loss issues"

This all means additional intake valve carbon build up.
SO "YES" the oil gap does need to have a tight seal.
Appreciate 0