BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-23-2011, 01:01 AM   #45
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
I'm over dynos... haha. If we want to talk power comparos, let's race!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 01:07 AM   #46
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
I'd like to see what Steve's beast makes on the dyno with the ESS tune. Everything else is subjective imho.

Irrespective of it being a 1M or 135i, the potential power output of both cars will be the same. I'm not sure if everyone in this thread realises that the main difference between the engine in the 1M and 135i is software, not hardware.

After the dyno day it's safe to say a stock 1M tune makes less power than a 135i running JB3 Map 3, which happens to be the lowest map (although I think the JB3 makes more power than the JB4). BMW could have easily squeezed out more power for the 1M from factory.
Correct . However, will still put it on the dyno sometime. It is always nice to know the delta so you can see what each piece gives you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
I'm over dynos... haha. If we want to talk power comparos, let's race!
We don't race in the same category . There's no way I would beat you in a straight line with a manual.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 01:18 AM   #47
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunzaro View Post
You must have a BT tool to reset the fuel, air, timing and transmission (car has the wicked DCT trans) adapations. The BT tool is a cable that connects to the OBD2 port of the car and your laptop.

Apparently when you install the ESS tune it resets the adapations anyway, but I found improvement AFTER installing. A few hundred miles later and your car will be nice.
so you don't need a bt tool at all? just it gets better?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 01:22 AM   #48
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
I didn't get a stiffy, but the surge through the rev range is euphoric.

The "second drive" at lunch time is a lot more entertaining than the first this morning but I thought the DME only adapts if you put on bolt ons.

You are not going to get the same improvements like you get from stock 135i to a tune 135i as BBK mentioned. The EES is 20 HP, that is about 15kw which should put the car to around 240rwkw.

If you want a tune the is going to break your back when you WOT this is not going to make much difference to the stock 1M. However, if you are going to track the car, or enjoy revving the car to its limit, this would be a fantastic addition.

thanks sparoz, i shouldn't have made it personel ha ha lol, i crack myself up sometimes, anyway sounds good for a track day and hard driving, maybe its worth the dabble

are you still getting an exhaust
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 01:28 AM   #49
BBK
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Quote:
We don't race in the same category . There's no way I would beat you in a straight line with a manual.
Maybe so, but it's always interesting to see by how much in real world terms these things add. Also, in gear acceleration is what will really tell the story (to take out the auto/manual difference).
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 01:32 AM   #50
lavaletta
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 04 3.0i Z4; 09 135i; VO 1M

Quote:

I'm not sure if everyone in this thread realises that the main difference between the engine in the 1M and 135i is software, not hardware.
That's true, but I wouldn't under-estimate the difference that the 1M's light DMFW makes. It completely changes the responsiveness of the engine.
      11-23-2011, 01:36 AM   #51
BBK
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Does anyone know if the 1M's 19" wheels weigh more/less than the 261 18" wheels?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 02:28 AM   #52
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Maybe so, but it's always interesting to see by how much in real world terms these things add. Also, in gear acceleration is what will really tell the story (to take out the auto/manual difference).
Lets cut to the chase Richard, i think you're keen to add a 1M to your kill list

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavaletta View Post
That's true, but I wouldn't under-estimate the difference that the 1M's light DMFW makes. It completely changes the responsiveness of the engine.
I highly doubt that. Numbers and times tell the whole story. I'm yet to see any article that refers to the lighter DMFW either as I'd like to see it and how it improves acceleration and/or power.

A few of us have experienced the N54 for years and the limits/thresholds are very well known now, no matter which car they put it in (335i, Z4 etc).

Quote:
Does anyone know if the 1M's 19" wheels weigh more/less than the 261 18" wheels?
I would say they weigh a fair bit lighter Richard. Our stock wheels are heavy!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 02:54 AM   #53
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep

the dual mass fly wheel makes a highly tuned motor drivable unlike a standard n54 with a jb4 which is like using a trigger nozzle on a garden hose. it definately makes the car faster and nicer to drive, but it doesn't make it a huge amount faster like a tune or exhaust could.

ESS is kinda tempting as sparoz has said its so smooth
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 02:57 AM   #54
BBK
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Quote:
Lets cut to the chase Richard, i think you're keen to add a 1M to your kill list

I would say they weigh a fair bit lighter Richard. Our stock wheels are heavy!
I don't even have a kill list! Nobody ever wants to race... Not that I would do it on public roads anyway...

As for the wheels, they can't be 'that' much lighter being 19's? And the lighter flywheel should help with response, not so much power.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 03:08 AM   #55
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep
Drives: The horse I fell off

Good write up Sparoz and congrats on being an early 1M beta tester. I noticed that you mentioned fuel consumption - One thing I have noticed between my 1M and my 335i ( and no I am not pcockley in disguise ) is that the fuel consumption was markedly different. Firstly, my 335i went from an 11.1 av' to a tuned 12.3 av. BUT... on a trip, i.e. freeway drive, I could get as low as 6.8 av. Now, my 1M is averaging 13.1 BUT... on a trip the best I can get down to is low 9s. Maybe it's the aerodynamics but I suspect that the 1M is already in a highish state of tune hence the subtle only differences you mentioned.
I also think that the factory rating of 250kw is quite understated. Just going by seat of the pants feel between a tuned 335 and the stock 1M.

BTW whomever said it... the M button does not increase torque, just throttle response.

Also, since I'm blathering on, my 335 went from 225 kw to 288kw with the tune ( unverified ) but it was at the expense of throttle response to the extent that it was actually a far more responsive car without the tune.

So more is sometimes less. Whew!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 03:33 AM   #56
DTNJNQ
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, Xclass

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
Quote:

They are about the same weight. Got the information from http://felgenkatalog.auto-treff.com/

1M Wheels
1er E87 u.a. M Coupe
Größe Einsatz Bereifung ET kg
9x19 * vorne 245/35R19 ET 31 11,90
10x19 *hinten 265/35R19 ET 25 11,20

135i Wheels
1er E87 u.a.
Coupé
7,5x18 vorne 215/40R18 ET 49 11,80
8,5x18 hinten 245/35R18 ET 52 11,23

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 03:33 AM   #57
BBK
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazz View Post
I also think that the factory rating of 250kw is quite understated. Just going by seat of the pants feel between a tuned 335 and the stock 1M.

BTW whomever said it... the M button does not increase torque, just throttle response.

Also, since I'm blathering on, my 335 went from 225 kw to 288kw with the tune ( unverified ) but it was at the expense of throttle response to the extent that it was actually a far more responsive car without the tune.
Well stock 135's are around the 185kw mark. Steve's 1M pulled 219kw. Same dyno, same day. That's a 35kw gain over the 135i. So you would be right in thinking it is slightly underrated compared to the stated power for the 135i.

Chappy's 335i dynoed 230ish kw, so 10kw over the 1M. But it's also heavier. So I would probably give the edge to the 1M there so your butt dyno is spot on, but there wouldn't be much in it.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 03:41 AM   #58
andrew@southernBM
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 F80, M140i

Quote:
I have received my Direct Flash Kit today from SouthernBM today! Andrew is great to deal with, and helped me with other questions too, which I realised afterwards he doesn't even stock!

Here are some notes for the tune:

After loading the software, and the compulsory flash to the latest firmware, I plugged in the device into the car and read my ECU. The reading took about one hour, which was very "interesting" as I done it parking on the side of the road (during my tea break ).

I am very impressed with ESS service. I sent them the file around 5pm, and I received my tune file by 6:30pm! I was not expecting the file overnight as it was 1:30am their time when they send the tune back!

After visiting 3D babies and something to eat, I proceed to upload the file back on the device. For some reason, the USB didn't connect initially, but I suspect it is something to do with the virtual machine. After a little play with the VM settings, finally got it reconnected and the mod uploaded to the device.

Sorry for the tease but watch this space for my initial review of the tune tomorrow...

Tomorrow... (today)
Woke up this morning, first thing and I plugged the unit in to flash the ECU. As soon everything started, I was alarmed by various checklights - tyre pressure, traction control, and some unknown checks that I don't regconise start displaying on the nav display; the priming sound we get every time we unlock the car was on non-stop!! I was thinking it must be the way it is, and went and put some eggs on before I head back to the car, and started catching up the forum.

After a few minutes, I went back to the car and checked the progress, and it had ticked over and the writing was done. I was starting to get a bit worried as everything is still on dash and the priming (or just the ECU fan?) was still on. Clicked through the menus on the flash with the okays, and the required communication, and the writing is completed, and the fan stopped, and left with only the tyre pressure fault warning.

First thing I did was start the car - it started! The tyre pressure fault is also gone now too! Now satisfied that the car is okay... it is time for some eggs...

1hr later... driving to work...
Traffic? Enough cars around that I can't do a 2-3-4 pull
M button working? Checked
Power delivery? Smoother than stock
Drivability? Better than stock especially in non M mode
Response? Can't tell - that probably means the same, may be a bit laggy at 1.5k in 6th - but it might have always been like that, will switch back to stock to compare
Most improved feature? the car just keeps pulling right through the rev range!
Why would you want it? if you track the car, or love spirited driving
Reason not to get it? if you buy the car for the M badge and you never go pass 4k rpm.
Thanks for the review, glad you and enjoying your M///
Thanks for your custom.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 03:43 AM   #59
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep

ha ha thats gold, butt dyno results are the only results that count from now on
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 03:49 AM   #60
BBK
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTNJNQ View Post
They are about the same weight. Got the information from http://felgenkatalog.auto-treff.com/

1M Wheels
1er E87 u.a. M Coupe
9x19 * vorne 245/35R19 ET 31 11,90

10x19 *hinten 265/35R19 ET 25 11,20

135i Wheels
1er E87 u.a. Coupé
7,5x18 vorne 215/40R18 ET 49 11,80

8,5x18 hinten 245/35R18 ET 52 11,23
Excuse my stupidity, but where are the weights?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 03:51 AM   #61
DTNJNQ
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
Quote:
Excuse my stupidity, but where are the weights?
1M Wheels 11.9kg and 11.2kg
135i wheels 11.8kg and 11.23kg

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 03:59 AM   #62
BBK
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Quote:

Ah got it! Thanks muchly
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 04:08 AM   #63
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Ha..Now that you deciphered it, I feel stupid that I couldn't read it aswel..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 05:38 AM   #64
DTNJNQ
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
Does the ESS tune retain the 1M's overboost function?

Since the difference between the N54 in the 1M and 135i is mainly software, does the ESS tune work on a 135i?

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 06:11 AM   #65
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer View Post
so you don't need a bt tool at all? just it gets better?
No. Apparently it doesn't throw codes either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer View Post
thanks sparoz, i shouldn't have made it personel ha ha lol, i crack myself up sometimes, anyway sounds good for a track day and hard driving, maybe its worth the dabble

are you still getting an exhaust
Didn't think it was personal. Just trying to answer your question in a way that reflects what my thoughts are without coloured with my personal taste or opinions.

Quote:
Assuming the same tune, the 1M might edge out just a little bit because of the lighter flywheel compare to the older N54, but I would say it is minimal. At the end of the day, whichever tune is more aggressive will win the race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavaletta View Post
Yes, but the DMFW also sits in the newer 1ers IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianf2002 View Post
FYI From ESS: "Our software maintains a safe maximum turbo impeller speed in the top end. Reliability is our #1 concern.
The fuel pump is also reprogrammed for higher flow"

I was comparing to Dinan's tune: http://www.dinancars.com/shop/D900-3...-M.aspx#page=1
Yeah, I was looking at Dinan briefly. In terms of tunes it should be the safest. However, it is a lot more expensive than the ESS and Andrew has to flash it which rules me out. One of the reason why Dinan is more expensive is because Dinan cover the cost of warranty when shit goes wrong. Andrew is not yet certain how it will work in Aust at the moment, but something is being sorted. Otherwise, it will be hard to justify the high price tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazz View Post
Good write up Sparoz and congrats on being an early 1M beta tester. I noticed that you mentioned fuel consumption - One thing I have noticed between my 1M and my 335i ( and no I am not pcockley in disguise ) is that the fuel consumption was markedly different. Firstly, my 335i went from an 11.1 av' to a tuned 12.3 av. BUT... on a trip, i.e. freeway drive, I could get as low as 6.8 av. Now, my 1M is averaging 13.1 BUT... on a trip the best I can get down to is low 9s. Maybe it's the aerodynamics but I suspect that the 1M is already in a highish state of tune hence the subtle only differences you mentioned....

So more is sometimes less. Whew!
Thanks Gazz - I tried to tell it how I see it. I could only get down to 8 something on highway runs with my 135i. The 1M highway run is similar. I managed to keep my 135i @9.9, and the 1M before tune was 11.5. However, I tend to play with the 1M more, and do less highway runs.

I was going to get the Cobb as well because it also do data logging. However, initial review is it adds a lot more power than the others, by delaying timing - that almost certainly means less response time. That's why I am no longer interested in it. Will get BT cable for logging. Will also look at aim solo dl - just need someone to install it into the Canbus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew@southernBM View Post
Thanks for the review, glad you and enjoying your M///
Thanks for your custom.
Thanks for your great service! I have also updated my review to reflect my findings with response.

Quote:
Does the ESS tune retain the 1M's overboost function?

Since the difference between the N54 in the 1M and 135i is mainly software, does the ESS tune work on a 135i?
It certainly feels that it has an overboost on top of the overboost. ESS has a 135i tune as well (stage 1 and 2), but the 1M tune i believe is similar if not the same as the Z4is and 335is tune. The 1M is sort of equivalent to the 135i stage 2 tune, but without the need of fmic.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 04:42 PM   #66
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineM3E92 View Post
FROM ANDREW ON THE 1M mod thread.

1M Direct Flash from ESS.
I'm doing them for $1200 installed or shipped.

More details here
2 Elna Crt Moorabbin
03)9555-4049

Thanks mate. Will get in touch with Andrew soon, have a few questions first. A bit preoccupied with work at the moment!