BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: Have you had any headlight problems and have you made any modifications to them?
HAVE had a headlight problem (motor or bulb out) - No modifications 12 5.56%
HAVE had a headlight problem (motor or bulb out) - I did make modifications 64 29.63%
Have NOT had a headlight problem (motor or bulb out) - No modifications 78 36.11%
Have NOT had a headlight problem (motor or bulb out) - I did make modifications 62 28.70%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

05-15-2014, 11:27 AM   #45
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

I did it the easy way and just cranked up the voltage to the OEM angel eyes. Looks great, OEM quality, and totally free.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 11:35 AM   #46
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrom View Post
I did it the easy way and just cranked up the voltage to the OEM angel eyes. Looks great, OEM quality, and totally free.
I'm not going to claim to be an expert on this, but i wonder if there are any long term affects to the extra heat that is generated by doing this. For anyone else thats done this, have you noticed anything after a long time?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 05:02 PM   #47
ts0ulc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3,X5E, 1M

So I went into BMW dealership and told them I had the Adaptive warning light on. I'm still under factory warranty and my aftermarket AEs work perfectly fine. The rotation of the lights don't work though. They said they couldn't do any work on it because I had aftermarket lights in.

If I were to put my stock ones back in and go to another dealership would they possibly do it under warranty? Just wondering if they share the same vehicle service history with all dealerships

If anyone has any info or would like to give recommendations, I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 08:36 PM   #48
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts0ulc
So I went into BMW dealership and told them I had the Adaptive warning light on. I'm still under factory warranty and my aftermarket AEs work perfectly fine. The rotation of the lights don't work though. They said they couldn't do any work on it because I had aftermarket lights in.

If I were to put my stock ones back in and go to another dealership would they possibly do it under warranty? Just wondering if they share the same vehicle service history with all dealerships

If anyone has any info or would like to give recommendations, I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers
Odds are they noted that in your profile. You could try another dealership and play dumb after switching back to OEM.
      05-16-2014, 05:54 AM   #49
sparkyblue
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i & F80 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I installed GP Thunder 7500K's 3 years ago. It was one of my first mods, and I have had no issues with my headlights.

While I know they aren't LED's, swapping them to the bright white LED's is something on my list of things swap out.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 07:16 AM   #50
rocketpop
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Installed lights from BMS about 3 months ago. No errors. (knocks on wood)
      05-16-2014, 07:53 AM   #51
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxAngelEyes View Post
I'm not going to claim to be an expert on this, but i wonder if there are any long term affects to the extra heat that is generated by doing this. For anyone else thats done this, have you noticed anything after a long time?
From what I've read no. I mean its not going to melt anything etc, but POSSIBLY shorten the lifespan of the bulbs themselves, but since they are the OEM bulbs they are cheap. I've had it for a few months without issue. Others on E90 post have had it for years without issues.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 03:12 PM   #52
AZ135i
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M Sport

I installed the 20 w cree led angel eyes. After about 5 days I got the headlight warning chime. I reinstalled them with 3 m tape and moutned the ballasts on the bottom of the back of the cover assembly. Warning went away temporarily, but comes back periodically and randomly. it sometimes stays on for the entire drive other times it turns off as soon as i drive a little. What should i do?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 03:45 PM   #53
Blueherb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i AW 09'

Had GP thunders with no issues. Then I installed LEDs, I was able to stuff the ballasts inside the housing and didn't have any issues what so ever. However, it was a VERY tight fit and putting the rear cover back on required a lot of force. Recently I went thru a car wash and fried the shit out of my headlights, most likely because the covers weren't 100% sealed (and yes the two teeth were in the slot).
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 03:15 PM   #54
TGel15
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i

I have another issue that hopefully one of you can chime in about.

So only a few weeks ago i installed the lux color adjustable angel eyes and set them to 5,000k to match the eyebrows, I made sure to velcro the lux angel eyes ballast in the proper position inside the housings because I've heard some people have issues with this additional ballast affecting the adaptive headlights movement. Just the other day one of my xenon headlight ballasts failed and the BMW tech thinks that its related to the lux angel eyes being in there. The gentleman at turner motorsports told me that he doesn't believe they are related and that the headlight ballast could have just failed. The car is a 2013 so 4 years for a headlight ballast to fail is definitely premature? I am now torn with either having them keep the lux angel eyes installed (love the updated matching white light look) and potentially have it cause another ballast to short out (745$ yikes) or just have BMW switch the angel eyes back to the ugly stock yellow light.

Does anyone know if these two things are related?
Could it have been heat related? do they draw from the same power source?
ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED. This has become more of a headache than I was ready for.
I have to get back to BMW about what to do by tomorrow morning.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 03:30 PM   #55
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
I really wanted to do this mod but considering I have meaty hands and worried I wouldn't be able to get a good seal, I haven't swapped the bulbs.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 07:17 PM   #56
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGel15 View Post
Physically what you did should not have an effect, as far as things touching each other (which is why the adaptive headlight thing happens because parts must move).

Electrically speaking, what you did may have let in additional moisture and caused a problem. That said... if you haven't seen any condensation / or if the weather has been sunny and dry then it's just tough to know if that's been enough time to cause a problem.

All you can do is plead with the dealer, you can't factually say it's not from the procedure.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 09:46 PM   #57
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Ballast probably just failed. If you told me that your AHL motor failed I would tell you your mod killed it.
      07-17-2017, 12:47 PM   #58
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGel15 View Post
Could it have been heat related? do they draw from the same power source?
ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED. This has become more of a headache than I was ready for.
I have to get back to BMW about what to do by tomorrow morning.
These 2 issues should be completely unrelated. The only possible issue is that the cover may not have been put back on securely leading to moisture, but the angel eyes would not cause the ballast to fail.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 03:12 AM   #59
BadAtUserNames
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i, 2023 G87

Like many of you I installed the LUX 180 LED bulbs, but because of a botched first attempt to install without getting an Adaptive Headlight error (I tried to put them where everyone indicated they should go, and secured with Velcro, but I still got the error. This, combined with the fact I was just generally annoyed by the fact I had to use Velcro at all, led me down this rabbit hole of over engineering.) I went a different direction and wanted to share.

Basically what I did was create an exterior housing for the LUX black box that attaches to the back side of the headlight housing covers for my 2008 135. (Same cover as other years and models? probably.) The housing was 3D printed, sealed with epoxy (printer I used was a Fused Deposition Modeling printer which, even when printed solid is not water tight), spray painted and bolted to the cover sealed with a layer of permatex gasket maker. I also used a strip of of foam mounting tape on the top of the black box.

I bought two headlight housing covers from ECS for like 35 bucks each so I could work through how I would do this, but I suppose this is not absolutely necessary. The housings are designed to capture M5 nuts to make assembly a little easier.

I had no CAD of the headlight housing cover so I did my best to model the side I would be mounting to so I could design the housing. The resulting model took a little filing and sanding to make it sit right on the cover but not bad. Once positioned correctly on the cover I drilled two of the holes, bolted it on and drilled the rest of the holes. Then, using a Dremel, I cut the hole for the black box to slide through. I used a thin epoxy for plastic to seal the entire surface of the housing and painted it black once the epoxy was fully cured. I used permatex to seal the housing to the headlight cover but I'm sure any silicone sealant would work too (maybe better?).

Installation to me was only slightly more annoying with this new bulge on the headlight cover. Driver side was no different, but passenger side required me to move one of the black plastic vacuum chamber things (one nut using 13mm socket) temporarily during installation. There is plenty of length in the wires and had no problems with reach and because of the way the wires come out of the black box, I'm sure the wires will never get tangled into where they shouldn't be.

All in all I'd say It was definitely worth it, at least for me, to not have to mess with positioning that black box at all, not to mention that I'm extremely happy with the way the LUX 180s look. Attached are the pictures of the build as well as obligatory before/after pictures, if you haven't seen enough of those yet.

If anyone is interested, I can share the solid models of the housings I designed if you want to print some yourself/modify my cad
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-12-2017, 07:21 PM   #60
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep

wow that is a very unique design and idea for mounting the angel eye ballast externally. Did you use an any silicone or other sealant to make sure that the external cover does not leak at all? this would be my only concern just to be 100% sure you do not get any moisture in the headlights at all.
Appreciate 0