BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-15-2016, 09:48 PM   #1
aritala
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [9.00]
Help with LCI retrofit FRM3 Module - for LCI upgrade ?

So I just did an LCI retrofit on my 08 135 with a set of Euro headlights. They are adaptive bi-xenons just ilke my stock bulbs but for some reason the AHL light is coming on and it is not recognizing the AHL capacity of these new lights. My shop thinks I need to upgrade to a new footwell module (FRM3) because my current module (FRM2) is either obsolete or shorted. They tried to code the FRM2 to no avail. Did anyone who did this retrofit know whether the LCI's require a FRM3 module? Thanks.
Attached Images

04-16-2016, 02:06 AM   #2
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Yeah, you need an FRM3 AHL or MAX. I think.

Are the light coded correctly?
      04-16-2016, 10:04 AM   #3
aritala
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Yeah, you need an FRM3 AHL or MAX. I think.

Are the light coded correctly?
Yes an experienced shop coded and programmed them right and they still threw an error. They said I might be missing SMC units (AHL control module chip) because my shop said I'm throwing an error for both lights which leads them to think it they SMC (AHL chip module) might have been removed on these lights before shipment because the lights were used.

The other possibility is that the FRM2 module might have shorted because the ballast to original headlight was completely corroded from water ingress from the broken headlight and requires a new module.

So I either have to pay labor to have them remove the bumper again or just buy a new module and hope that's the problem. Not sure what to do.
      04-18-2016, 04:30 AM   #4
reisf
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aritala View Post
Yes an experienced shop coded and programmed them right and they still threw an error. They said I might be missing SMC units (AHL control module chip) because my shop said I'm throwing an error for both lights which leads them to think it they SMC (AHL chip module) might have been removed on these lights before shipment because the lights were used.

The other possibility is that the FRM2 module might have shorted because the ballast to original headlight was completely corroded from water ingress from the broken headlight and requires a new module.

So I either have to pay labor to have them remove the bumper again or just buy a new module and hope that's the problem. Not sure what to do.
Did you transfer the AHL modules to the new headlights?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 01:31 PM   #5
Downeaster1
BMW Master Tech
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E36, E82, E90, F10, F80

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by reisf View Post
Did you transfer the AHL modules to the new headlights?
This. I can't tell you how many vehicles I get in from body shops wondering why their new headlights won't swivel, and they haven't swapped the AHL modules.
135is #502 of 586
BMW LED Performance Wheel | OEM FULL Carbon Fiber | E9X M3 Gauge Cluster | E9X Exterior Mirrors | E9X M3 Full Suspension | E9X M3 Diff | PT-CAN2 Enabled | Bilstiens | Michelin PSS's | NBT Navigation Retrofit with Touch Pad
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 02:15 AM   #6
reisf
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downeaster1 View Post
This. I can't tell you how many vehicles I get in from body shops wondering why their new headlights won't swivel, and they haven't swapped the AHL modules.
Yeah exactly. You shouldn't need a new FRM module just because you have LCI headlights, the only thing that is different is that LED fibre optic eyebrow. The fact the OP is getting AHL errors from both headlights makes me think that they are physically not there.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 02:17 AM   #7
reisf
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Yeah exactly. You shouldn't need a new FRM module just because you have LCI headlights, the only thing that is different is that LED fibre optic eyebrow. The fact the OP is getting AHL errors from both headlights makes me think that they are physically not there.
BTW i updated mine to LCI's and all i had to do was physically jump the wire between the angel eyes and the eyebrow. That was it. No extra coding or anything.

What you need is a diagnostic scan on the FRM to see what type of AHL error you are getting. But i bet that they just didn't transfer the AHL modules.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 05:23 PM   #8
aritala
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [9.00]
Quote:
I think you are right man because the new lights I ordered were not assembled but they came with the AHL module adapter on the back so the shop just assumed the modules would be inside as well before they installed them. They're gonna have to take the bumper off and take the lights off again to fix it so I'm gonna be out at least 200 bux. But I'm glad its not the FRM3 module.
      04-23-2016, 05:24 PM   #9
aritala
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downeaster1 View Post
I think you are right man because the new lights I ordered were not assembled but they came with the AHL module adapter on the back so the shop just assumed the modules would be inside as well before they installed them. They're gonna have to take the bumper off and take the lights off again to fix it so I'm gonna be out at least 200 bux. But I'm glad its not the FRM3 module.