BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-07-2008, 11:49 PM   #1
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Question First post: I'd love to hear from steptronic owners.

I have been following this board for a while. I love it! I've learned so much here, so let me first thank everyone.

Here's my very first question. It's regarding steptronic. Now, I know this topic has been on these boards before. Most of the posts I've seen, however, revolve around the poster asking things like "Which is better?" or "Which should I get?" I suppose my question is the same one at heart, but I'd like to ask it in a more specific way- in a way that will help me make up my own mind rather than "put it to a vote" (so to speak).

SHORT VERSION:
When driving a BMW with Steptronic, does it feel like you're "asking" the car to go up/down the gears? Or do you feel like you're truly in command of the transmission?

LONG VERSION:
I realize that I'm never going to have as much command of the transmission as I would with a manual gearbox. That's a given. What I'm wondering is, just HOW much control of the transmission would I have? I understand that straight off-the-line, progressing up through the gears would probably be even faster with steptronic (machine speed > human legs and arms speed). I'm wondering more about how steptronic effects the thrills of mountain driving, curvy roads, and "fun" driving. :-) Will this thing be beeping at me in protest? Is it too aggressive in protecting the engine when the RMP gets close to the red?

EXAMPLE 1:
I come into a turn where I'm breaking hard in 4th gear. When I come out of the turn, I know I'm about to head uphill immediately. So when I come out of this turn, I know I need to be in second. As I come off the gas and go into the turn, does the car immediately switch into second when I ask it to? Or is there a sense that it's guaging the situation for me.

EXAMPLE 2:
I'm headed around a fun curve on a country road after a light rain. I have clear visibility of both lanes, there's nothing on either side but grass (I'm painting the picture of utter safety here :-)... let's have a little fun and drift around the curve. In my stick shift, I'd flick the wheel left, turn it back right (into the turn), switch into a lower gear, and balance the throttle for a nice, long, fun drift. Would Steptronic immediately downshift in this way? Or does the transmission work with the traction control and prevent me from shifting if any of the wheels have lost traction?

SO...
I'd like to know your experience as an enthusiast driver who's used steptronic. Is the darn thing beeping at you all the time as you try an negotiate with your transmission? Or is it responsive? I realize that any real enthusiasts are going to scoff at the idea of a fake-manual gearbox. So, I'd really like to hear from people who have actually owned a BMW with steptronic and who have had a chance to get used to it.

What's your experience steptronic owners?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 12:05 AM   #2
plien69
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...8688#post98688

Manual mode addresses both of your examples. The Step will upshift at redline, and if you let the revs drop too low for the gear you're in, Step will also downshift.

But other than that, it's pretty good at holding your selected gear. Select your gear before entering a turn, and you're good to go.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 12:05 AM   #3
3toM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i EB Msport

Not sure whether this will be the same in the 1 series, as I currently have a 2006 325i with steptronic. For my car, it generally shifts when I tell it to. It will shift up by itself I have been told if you redline. It will also downshift on its own 1 or even 2 gears when accelerating hard (like on freeway cruising in 6th, punch the gas, and car will go down to 5th or 4th if you neglected to do it yourself).
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 02:11 AM   #4
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep

plien69- thanks for that link. Looks like lots of satisfied customers and test-divers are impressed with the steptronic. I guess my concern is that it just seems so "gimmick-y"! I don't want to pretend I'm controlling the transmission, I want to control it!

:-)
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 02:43 AM   #5
PhAzE
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW 1m (soon)

I don't know if anyones actually noticed this, but I drove my sisters 325xi with steptronic and I had no idea why it was called steptronic until i went full throttle and hit the button. When you click this button it will downshift on command so you dont have to hold it at full throttle or shift into manual mode.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 09:48 AM   #6
plien69
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydgreat View Post
plien69- thanks for that link. Looks like lots of satisfied customers and test-divers are impressed with the steptronic. I guess my concern is that it just seems so "gimmick-y"! I don't want to pretend I'm controlling the transmission, I want to control it!

:-)
I've been quite happy with the Step. However, it is still an automatic. You still won't have as much control as you would with a true manual, or even an SMG/DSG/DCT type of transmission, IMO.

Only you can decide if the Steptronic offers enough control for you, or if it's too "gimmicky." I encourage you to go to your local dealer for a test drive. They should all have demo 135s with Steptronic for you to try out.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 10:22 AM   #7
jose100fires
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i/ Montego Blau

I own two steptronic BMW at this time, and both are different beasts.

2006 330i (please don't flame me for this, it is a wife thing) - More like asking it to shift - I don't like it. It will shift when I move the shifter, allbeit after a pause. It's the pause that kills me, I want the gear now! I have tracked this car quite a bit and I find that DS, sport mode, works much better.

2007 X3is - same engine as my 330i (5 hp more for some reason, 260hp). This steptronic has a common issue that I have read about concerning X3's and X5's, where starting off in drive the mushbox seems to be wondering what to do. Now, with that said, I LOVE the manual mode in this car. I wished that my 330i shifted like this car. It has clean, snappy shifts, and will blip the throttle on downshifts! I have no idea if they share the same tranny or not - I suspect not, but regardless, if the new 1 has at least this level of steptronic, then you would be ok.

With all of this said- I would never buy a sports car with an automatic (I would get a SMG) again. I found myself constantly wanting the 6 speed. My 135 will have a 6 speed.

About your examples, you would want to be in manual mode for any of these situations, my guess would be:

1) If in auto mode you would have to hit the gas before you would naturally in order to have throttle response when you need it. Sort of anticipatory throttle, so to speak.

2) In auto the tranny would up shift upon red line. Unless you are really good at throttle modulation and can keep it this side of red line, it will upshift for you, shutting down your drift. Not being a drifter, I believe that most drifts hit the rev limiter.

Hope this helps....
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 10:54 AM   #8
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

$1,250 plus $100 for paddles. That is another consideration.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 12:33 PM   #9
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

just search this subforum for "Car jerks forward during stopping?" this should tell you everything you need to know about steptronic. make sure to give yourself plenty of space...
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 01:14 PM   #10
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
car does not jerk forward with auto.... i have auto with paddles and love it
      04-08-2008, 08:08 PM   #11
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep

That information definitely helps. Thanks especially to jose100fires for the detailed post.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 06:50 AM   #12
Rubber Ducky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Here's the thing most commentators miss on evaluating the Step xmission: the torque converter locks up at around 1000 RPM and stays locked. You know that linear feeling you get with a good manual? Well, the Step gives the same.

I've been hammering my 335i E93 using paddles exclusively and shifting it like a manual ... and find it identical in characteristics ... only faster. But you need skill to draw the best from it.

If you're not already really good with a manual, the Step may not give you any advantage. Where it shines is the same as where a manual in good hands shines: always in the right gear, always where you want to be in the powerband, and always that locked-up, linear connection between your right foot and the road.

There seems no cure for the testosterone haze that invariably attends AT-vs-MT discussions, but if all you want is to get connected with your car in the most direct way, the Step is arguably BETTER than the manual.

Need a tie-breaker? That damned CDV is a miserable clutch nanny. Google 'abomination' and you get a picture of the CDV. Yes you can remove it. Or you can check the Step box on the order form and get the best AT I've ever driven.

BTW, anyone wondering why a 335i owner is lurking in a 1-series board? Well, have concluded that a 135i 'vert will be my next car when lease on 3-series times out. Have been evaluating the 135i against the 335i and against Corvette 'vert. 135i 'vert is clear winner (with assumption that 135i has Dinan flash, as does my current wheels). Only hesitation is waiting to see what happens with the Z4 next year. Same drivetrain and hundreds of pounds lighter might make it a Corvette beater with all the goodness of a BMW. Will have to see...
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 06:43 PM   #13
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep

"Where it shines is the same as where a manual in good hands shines: always in the right gear, always where you want to be in the powerband..."

...that's what I wonted to hear. Very nice.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 06:50 AM   #14
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

During the PCD for my car we were let on the track with step 335's. Same tranny as the 135. We drove them hard for quite a while.

I did not feel any loss of control. With this tranny the shifts are not linear, meaning that, if you are in 4th coming into a corner, brake hard and deep into the corner, you can click twice and the tranny goes into 2nd. It does not pass 3rd on the way.

This to me was the most telling piece for buying a step in the 135.

With only a bit of pratice the shifting can be easily mastered. With the amount of torque available in the N54 motor the car the step really does well.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 12:55 AM   #15
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e34m5 View Post
...brake hard and deep into the corner, you can click twice and the tranny goes into 2nd. It does not pass 3rd on the way.
That's some more good news. Man I'm loving this forum. So much experience to tap into.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0