BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-05-2009, 05:10 PM   #1
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Need your thoughts on my proposed "Stage I" Mod list

It's about time the 135i goes under the knife! Recently, I did a dyno run bone stock to get a baseline figure and then see how the mods will impact the HP gain. Here is what I am thinking of doing, feel free to voice your opinions. I have decided to cherry pick, as opposed to go the 1-tuner-does-all approach (e.g Dinan, Active Autowerke).

Would be great to see other suggestions and alternatives, and best places where I can source the below list. If someone has the exact setup (possible, but unlikely), pls comment on it more specifically.

Stage I envisioned mods (all done pretty much at one go/simultaneously):

1. JB3 PnP
2. aFe DCI intake
3. Active Autowerke Intercooler
4. Dinan Oil Cooler
5. BMW Performance Exhaust (getting that one for 'free' as I have pts on my BMW credit card)

Stage II will focus more on suspension and handling, probably shortly after Stage I as the power increase will necessitate better suspension+geometry. Maybe some aerodynamics/wheels/gauges, but not likely to be 'performance' adders.

Dynoed stock car produced 280whp and 283wtq (on a hot and humid day). Any guesses for what these figures would be post-Stage I? Hoping somewhere around very high 300s (possibly 400whp if all these work well together and on Map 7 with Racing Gas).
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 06:59 PM   #2
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Nice set of parts! 400rw is possible on race gas with the right weather! Probably will take map 8 though.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 07:25 PM   #3
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
thats alot to do at once... nice set up
but do it slowly and enjoy it!
      08-05-2009, 10:19 PM   #4
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Ford Edge Sport

FWIW, I've heard the Injen is better, and that the aFe is more prone to heat soak.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 01:12 AM   #5
DocSean
Private
Rep
Drives:

If it were me i'd ditch the intercool, and opt for a downpipe and meth. Or just the downpipe...
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 11:45 AM   #6
evifytrihteno
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
It's about time the 135i goes under the knife! Recently, I did a dyno run bone stock to get a baseline figure and then see how the mods will impact the HP gain. Here is what I am thinking of doing, feel free to voice your opinions. I have decided to cherry pick, as opposed to go the 1-tuner-does-all approach (e.g Dinan, Active Autowerke).

Would be great to see other suggestions and alternatives, and best places where I can source the below list. If someone has the exact setup (possible, but unlikely), pls comment on it more specifically.

Stage I envisioned mods (all done pretty much at one go/simultaneously):

1. JB3 PnP
2. aFe DCI intake
4. Dinan Oil Cooler
5. BMW Performance Exhaust (getting that one for 'free' as I have pts on my BMW credit card)

Stage II will focus more on suspension and handling, probably shortly after Stage I as the power increase will necessitate better suspension+geometry. Maybe some aerodynamics/wheels/gauges, but not likely to be 'performance' adders.

Dynoed stock car produced 280whp and 283wtq (on a hot and humid day). Any guesses for what these figures would be post-Stage I? Hoping somewhere around very high 300s (possibly 400whp if all these work well together and on Map 7 with Racing Gas).
+ Downpipes, then it's a beast
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 12:18 PM   #7
randomquickness
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996tt

1. JB3 PnP
good choice

2. aFe DCI intake
research the various intakes (there are better cheaper options)

good choice

4. Dinan Oil Cooler
not necessary unless you do some heavy track work

can't argue with FREE!

as others mentioned, DPs are good HP/$

Last edited by randomquickness; 08-10-2009 at 12:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 01:30 PM   #8
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

I'd probably pick the Injen intake over the AFE, but that's just a matter of opinion.

I'd skip the oil cooler at first, and go with a set of catless DPs instead, unless you're going to be tracking the car right away.

I'd also make an effort to be ready with a new set of wheels and rubber for when the run-flats wear out (around 12k miles if you're playing around much).

Other than that, I'd say you're on the right track!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 01:30 PM   #9
akak1997
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 135 @ 135mph

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
1. JB3 PnP
Can't recommend anything else, JB3 FTW!

2. aFe DCI intake
Stett or Injen intake has a better design. I've RR intake right now, still thinks Stett or Injen's design is better...

if you don't mind cutting, AA IC is probably the best out there. and it looks mean as hell. I don't like the idea of cutting my car yet, and it's not likely that I'd go swap my turbos with bigger ones for more boost down the road. I think I'll try to get on the VK IC group buy, <$600 for an IC, PnP in 15-30mins, can't beat that...

4. Dinan Oil Cooler
Some people say you don't need an oil cooler, but my oil temp during my normal driving (in Los Angeles, Summer) is a hair below 250, I think an oil cooler is a wise investment. Also, VK makes an oil cooler as well, if you are looking for alternatives. And since you're getting non Dinan mods to go with the oil cooler, I'm not sure how the Warranty will work... should at least check with Dinan on that.

I'd have spend the points on something else (like the performance steering wheel and front rotors) and get some other aftermarket exhaust, the AFe axle back + some cpe midpipes + ar design DP (this combo will be VERY loud, not for everyone)... but if you're already got it, slap some DP on it and you should get 400whp on a good day with some 93 or mixing 100octane.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 01:41 PM   #10
zamm3k
Bla!
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

1. JB3 PnP

there's nothing better.

2. aFe DCI intake

for this kind of money, I'd go for Stett. Better design, and most importantly, better, cooler airflow. If you do wanna go one step forward, go for the BMS DCI's since you're already getting an IC, intake temps won't be such a concern on this matter.

Good if you can live with chopping up your bumper. Otherwise I'd look into something else. Helix, Code 3, maybe even Forge. THey've all got nice prices with basically same performance.

4. Dinan Oil Cooler

You can get better for cheaper, even if you're willing to take it to a shop that can handle doing a custom one. The warranty factor won't do much help here since oil coolers are pretty hassle and trouble free, and thats the price premium u pay Dinan for their products.

as Akak state above. I'd get a cheaper nicer exhaust, and spend those points on other performance parts like the steering wheel (my number one choice) or the rotors, or maybe even both.
      08-10-2009, 02:26 PM   #11
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

I would get the bt scan tool, and consider that part of a stage I list of must haves
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 02:51 PM   #12
randomquickness
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

with an upgraded fmic and running higher boost levels the volume of air the intake gets is more important than the temperature. For this reason I like the BMS DCI. My local group of n54 fanatics has collectively tried the afe, stett, and RR, but tend to prefer the BMS DCI on the more heavily modded cars.
      08-12-2009, 10:27 AM   #13
Luvmybmw
One Fast 1
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 AW e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomquickness View Post
with an upgraded fmic and running higher boost levels the volume of air the intake gets is more important than the temperature. For this reason I like the BMS DCI. My local group of n54 fanatics has collectively tried the afe, stett, and RR, but tend to prefer the BMS DCI on the more heavily modded cars.
      08-12-2009, 11:00 AM   #14
randomquickness
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_mega View Post
I would get the bt scan tool, and consider that part of a stage I list of must haves
+1, I often forget that I have one and how useful it is!
      11-10-2009, 06:59 PM   #15
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Time for an update:

An update: so far I started with the JB3 (PnP v. 1.4). Install was a breeze, took an hr only because I was cautious and a first-timer, def 30 min job next time. Ran it on Map 3 as it came out of the box, noticed the difference immediately from stock. Running it currently on Map 5 as I have 93 Octane here, and car pulls very strong. I will dyno it soon, I have a baseline dyno (280whp/283wtq), so will post once I do the pulls on Map 5 (same dyno machine naturally).

To answer people's questions: yes, getting rid of the RFTs was the mirst mod I did, and very happy with the General Exclaim UHPs. Car is much transformed. Not bouncy and kidney hurting ride anymore, and much much better on the wet. Technically they are M+S rated, so while I won't be driving them in snow, I can feel the better grip at the current colder temps compared to the RFTs. So grip is better, and I upgraded to a 225/255 setup.

Now that the increase in power is felt, my next mod will definitely focus around improving the suspension geometry. I am looking into the BMW Performance Suspension, partly because I have earned enough pts on my BMW CC and can get it for 'free', plus people seem to be very happy with it, and of course warranty is preserved. Reviews were good in Bimmer Magazine, also following the Evo car magazine (UK) in-house car. In the latest issue they just installed the BMW PS and can't wait to see next month's review by them.

Oil cooler - agree, this is very much a mod for serious track junkies in warmer weather, so I will likely leave that for last. Much more worthy mods ahead of this.

Exhaust - been looking into the Maddad Whisper exhaust, but waiting until they release their midpipes and maybe do the combo. Like the sound, looks and build quality. I figure better use my BMW pts for the suspension as opposed to the BMW Performance Exhaust which I was initially leaning towards.

Intake - the more I think about it, the less likely it is I am going to do one. Maybe I can find a barely used one off the For Sale forum and will try it for S&G, but thinking it may be detrimental for street use rather than a HP booster. Waiting to see the AFE closed-box intake which seems to be coming to market soon. I recall reading European Magazine's Proven Section (all the way in the back pages), and while the JB3 scored big points with them on the dyno, the AFE seemed to not pass with such flying colors.

FMIC - the reason why I was thinking Active is because they are a very reputable tuner, had some things off them on my E39 M5, and have personally been to their offices and met the owners. Obviously they have done some magnificent projects (blown E90 M3, etc.), so that was another reason I trust them. However I don't want to start cutting stuff just to make it fit, so at this point I have expanded my search to include other tuners that offer a direct PnP solution. Definitely open to suggestion from you guys.

Keep the feedback flowing!!!
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 09:33 PM   #16
993 911
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z3M, F31, G07

Check out the Forge FMIC, been eying that lately and it looks pretty solid.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2009, 10:11 PM   #17
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 993 911 View Post
Check out the Forge FMIC, been eying that lately and it looks pretty solid.
I've been following a couple of threads. Looks solid indeed. However doesn't it seem small, almost stock like? The AA one is much bigger (granted not keen on cutting the plumbing), and I think their claimed gains were a lot higher than thr Forge.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 01:14 AM   #18
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
I'd want a suspension upgrade too, maybe in place of the intercooler.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 05:40 PM   #19
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

Focus on the FMIC and DP's for power and maybe meth if you really want the most out of it and be able to run the race maps without having to go put race gas in it. I think it is the best overall upgrade outside of the JB3 for the price per HP ratio. You could even just do the meth and forget the FMIC for now since you get the cooling and the octane bump with it. better tires is also a very good way to go. If you have the cash then go with the lighter rims and tires at the same time, and some other weight mods like Recaro front seats and the light weight battery and hold down. Other than that I would say a Limited slip diff to get the most out of the power.
      11-18-2009, 12:37 PM   #20
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad@PSI MOTORS View Post
Focus on the FMIC and DP's for power and maybe meth if you really want the most out of it and be able to run the race maps without having to go put race gas in it. I think it is the best overall upgrade outside of the JB3 for the price per HP ratio. You could even just do the meth and forget the FMIC for now since you get the cooling and the octane bump with it. better tires is also a very good way to go. If you have the cash then go with the lighter rims and tires at the same time, and some other weight mods like Recaro front seats and the light weight battery and hold down. Other than that I would say a Limited slip diff to get the most out of the power.
FMIC is def high on the mod list. I am following various threads and probably will soon pull the trigger on one. Definitely prefer a PnP option that doesn't require cutting nor bumper removal, there are a few options available.

Seems I'll be doing an exhaust first as I am working with a vendor releasing a new product I am willing to test (mid pipes and axel back for now), and then its gonna be between the upgraded suspension and the FMIC. Kinda leaning towards the suspension first, the added power of the JB3 (map 5) has further reveiled how inadecuate the stock suspension is...
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 01:21 PM   #21
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

Oh good so you did go up to map 5 then. Well if you are into taking corners fast then i suppose it is not good enough, but I am more of a straight line driver.lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
FMIC is def high on the mod list. I am following various threads and probably will soon pull the trigger on one. Definitely prefer a PnP option that doesn't require cutting nor bumper removal, there are a few options available.

Seems I'll be doing an exhaust first as I am working with a vendor releasing a new product I am willing to test (mid pipes and axel back for now), and then its gonna be between the upgraded suspension and the FMIC. Kinda leaning towards the suspension first, the added power of the JB3 (map 5) has further reveiled how inadecuate the stock suspension is...
      11-18-2009, 01:49 PM   #22
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad@PSI MOTORS View Post
Oh good so you did go up to map 5 then. Well if you are into taking corners fast then i suppose it is not good enough, but I am more of a straight line driver.lol
Indeed Brad, I did go up to Map 5 as I always use 93 Octane anyhow, noticed the difference compared to Map 3 at high revs especially. Will be dynoing the car on Map 5 (have stock runs already), and then immediately after I install the mid pipe + axel back (all on same day probably).

Thx again for the sale, hands down among the top vendors here! Highly recommended for anyone considering the JB3, Brad is your source!
Appreciate 0