BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-06-2009, 09:24 AM   #1
tennistodd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 alpine white M2 LCI

I WANT new wheels and tires SOOOOO bad!

I have been lurking on this thread for over a year now as I have had my car 1 year and 6 months. I had decided at one time to try and trade but it looks as if I'm stuck for a while due to the many miles I put on a vehicle. It's just not worth the trade, I would lose too much money. SO, I want new wheels and I am torn between 19 and 18. I really need to go with non-staggered so I can rotate as I am needing a 4th set of tires in the short amount of ownership. I know about the offsets etc. I have my eyes on the BBS CH in gunmetal. My car is BSM. Any ideas on 19 non-staggered that would look good. I really hate to put a narrower wheel than stock in the back but will it look odd to go with an 8? I have also looked at a TSW Donington in flat black. They come in 18 and 19. I spoke to Gill and he likes the BBS too, just wanting some options of others some of you guys might like. Looks as if most people on the post have good taste in what looks appropriate. Thanks guys!
-todd
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 07:47 PM   #2
Flat Out 32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: my feet.

Never seen CHs on a 1, just a pic that didnt do the justice. Those are my fav wheels btw! Would love to see you get them and post pics.

Georgie Vazquez
Mayaguez, PR
R.I.P. 335i, 010 135i here!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 09:10 PM   #3
randomquickness
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996tt

I understand going non staggered to rotate but if tread life is your concern why not just use tires rated for more life and keep it staggered? Or you could even get Direzzas or comparable tires that wear kind of fast but are less expensive to replace? Although if you plan to track it a lot then I totally get switching to non-staggered.
      11-10-2009, 11:20 PM   #4
esses
No_Country
Rep
Drives: like I stole it.

I get a square setup also. What I cannot understand is a 19" square setup. Why? The strut limits you more the taller you get without camber plates, which aren't an option if you are worried about tread life.

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 08:30 AM   #5
tennistodd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Out 32 View Post
Never seen CHs on a 1, just a pic that didnt do the justice. Those are my fav wheels btw! Would love to see you get them and post pics.

My bad...those are BBS CK's on Tire rack. I got confused. I'm so mixed up on what I want to do it is starting to piss me off. I love the look of staggered wheels so much better or at least the rear wheel protruding a little more. I really like the ADVAN RZ too in the 19X8 and 19X9. I'm going to go with a Michelin pilot A/S for better tread life rather than the summer tires I have been running. Can you put a spacer in the rear to push the wheels out to the fender more to give a staggered look? I'm not too educated with these things.
-todd
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 08:38 AM   #6
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
I think you need to tell us more and then make some decisions. Where do you live? How good are the roads? I would be wary of running 19s on a DD in the northeast. Too many potholes to damage the rims. I'm also not sure why you want new wheels, but not staggered. I guess you would save a few bucks on tires, but if the small savings you would achieve (it's not going to double your tire life) is that important, why splurge on new wheels at all? To me the point of owning a 135i is to enjoy its performance capabilities so that includes regular tire replacement for the widest possible tracks. Sure, it's more costly then a lesser car with 50k-mile tires, but spirited driving comes with a price.
      11-11-2009, 10:00 AM   #7
tennistodd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

You are correct.....I live in north west TN out in the country with a bunch of cows and smooth curvy roads plus lots of deer carcass on the side of the road as people hit them frequently this time of the year. I don't track the car and I guess I am more interested in appearance than so much performance if that makes sense. I have decided to stay with a staggered set-up with a longer tread life tire. Looks more aggressive.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 03:21 PM   #8
miro2296
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Montego Blue BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennistodd View Post
You are correct.....I live in north west TN out in the country with a bunch of cows and smooth curvy roads plus lots of deer carcass on the side of the road as people hit them frequently this time of the year. I don't track the car and I guess I am more interested in appearance than so much performance if that makes sense. I have decided to stay with a staggered set-up with a longer tread life tire. Looks more aggressive.
go with 19's, they look better IMHO
BMW 135i/6 Speed/Montego Blue/Formula One Ceramic Tint/JB4 G4/AA Sport Intercooler/19 inch Iconz 880Z(19X8.5 & 19X10)/PSS 225/35 & 265/30/E93 M3 front sway bar/TRW front and rear Control Arms/BMS Drop In Filter/Dinan Exhaust/BlackLines/Upgraded \\\M RSFB
Appreciate 0