BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-28-2012, 10:29 PM   #1
gdub
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: none

weird stutter type thing is happening when cold

i may not be able to describe it well, but here goes.

i've noticed it moving forward right after start, like pulling out of a parking spot, putting it in drive and then slowly pulling forward and pressing the gas just a little bit - normal driving in a parking lot in a cold car. it does this kind of stutter, it's really hard to explain. so today i was in reverse and plugging in my phone, waiting to pull out of the parking spot and when i had my foot on the brake it did it, it was like a small kick that happened twice, i saw no rpm increase and it threw no codes. it's only when the car is 100% cold, if i drive home and then let it sit for 30 minutes or an hour, i can go back out and it doesn't do it, but when i head to work and when i leave work it does it. i felt it in the brake pedal today. usually i'll notice it happening when i'm driving forward in a parking lot, but it's not as noticeable. my mods are ETS 5" FMIC and cobb stage 1+ aggressive. it's a 6at, 2008 135i with about 33000 on it, warranty literally expired last week. any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Misfire but could be a number of causes really. Sounds bad but ride it out and wait for a code.

Remember N54 common ignition related problems: HPFP, injectors, coils.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 12:01 PM   #3
fs454
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i M-Sport 6MT

Is it more of a low vibrate that happens for a second or two, or just a quick "pop"?

I feel something similar with my '09 but shrugged it off as normal since I came from a VW 2.0T motor which was known to skip a beat every once in a while.
      09-04-2012, 11:23 PM   #4
gdub
Private First Class
Rep

yea i think it's just a slight misfire, it seems like once the exhaust flap opens or closes, whatever it does when it's warmed up, it runs fine.

now my driver side daytime running light just went out, pretty easy to fix, go to idrive settings and turn them off LOL

and i replaced the battery in my FOB.... cut it open, put in new battery, glue back together. not very bmw-esque, but it worked
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 09:07 AM   #5
TUN3D
Major
Rep

Have you changed the plugs yet?

This happened to me a while back. Started with a few stutters/shakes every minute. Progressively worsened and stuttered every other second. More noticeable when car was cold and/or on idle. Changed my plugs and it went away.

+1 with Jay. Could also be HPFP, injectors, coils. You gotta start diagnosing somewhere. I'm not a Cobb guy (JB4), but check to see if you can adjust your fuel pump settings. On the JB4, there is an open loop mapping/fuel trims setting that you can adjust. This also helped alleviate some of the shakes for me.
      09-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #6
gdub
Private First Class
Rep

dealer says my hpfp is fine, and they've replaced the injectors twice already because of codes and limp mode. Since the last time they did it's been fine. I think this little stutter is just because it's cold and it could probably use some new plugs. What plugs did you change to? and what's the difficulty rating on changing them? So far I've only changed the FMIC myself on the car, but I'd say I'm pretty intermediate on working on cars. I've done an STi clutch swap and a WRX clutch swap - let me tell you about the worst two fixes on any car ever.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 10:02 AM   #7
TUN3D
Major
Rep

LMFAO! I wouldn't even dare (clutch swaps).

I didn't change the plugs. Had a local shop do the work for $195 (OEM plugs + labor). I asked around and was told to use OEM plugs as opposed to after-markets (members have had misfire issues with equivalent plugs). Here is a good DIY:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602804
      09-05-2012, 10:15 AM   #8
igzekyativ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Wagon

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
I am having a similar problem... I Drive an '09 135i auto w/ steptronic

When the car is cold, typically each morning on my way to work, the car will do this weird thing. - I drive for a little (less than a couple minutes), come to a light, and come to a stop. If I am at a complete stop for more than 15 seconds or so, when I release the brake (and before pressing the gas pedal) I can roll back if on a hill, as if in neutral, then the transmission grabs and jolts the car forwards. This can happen multiple times on my commute so long as the engine is cold.

After it is warmed up, it stops doing it. But I have noticed that I can be at a complete stop with my foot on the brake and the jolt occur. It occurs when the engine reaches a certain temperature (~180 degrees).

I think it has to do with different maps that the car uses. One map for below a certain temperature and another for higher temps. The cold map must have learned some 'bad behavior'.

My car is in at the dealer now and they are re-programming my car.

One way I got around the problem was to put the car in neutral while i am stopped. Then put it in drive right when I want to start moving. If I do this, the jolt does not occur.
2007 328xi Wagon, Black Sapphire Metallic, Sports Package, Cold Weather Package, Rear PDC, Airlift kit with 3P mgmt, CF Akrym rep lip, LCI M-Tech front bumper, LUX Angel Eyes, Black Kidneys, LED Interior Lights, M3 Steering Wheel with Extended Billet DCT Paddles, 19" Staggered VMR 710's
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #9
MaDoNiOn
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2008 Bmw 130i E81

Garage List
i dont know if i had the same problem...

When my Vw was cold it stuttered..almost felt like i was releasing the clutch too quickly and it did that jerk movement. weird! i replaced all my oil so that it is clear and not black and it havent done it since!

Bmw 135i Convertable White...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 11:24 AM   #10
dub shih
Rep
Drives: 135i Sparkling Graphite

I've been searching resolution of this issue for awhile but haven't seen anyone with something I could provide to my dealer to resolve this issue.

It's so annoying!

Any help? TSBs?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 11:56 AM   #11
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by majestykmellons View Post
Have you changed the plugs yet?
+1. I would start with new OE plugs. Not after market ones.

135i Spark Plug replacement DIY...
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602804

Of course it could be other things like a HPFP or injectors or coils. Its always best to start with the most common cause(s).

Have you had the fuel injectors check as part of the recall? Have you had your HPFP recall done? Ask your dealer to run your VIN thru the BMW computer system.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 10:50 AM   #12
Gimlet
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 BSM 135i

Okay, so I have both of the same issues..the roll back at stoplights, and the stutter step when cold. I'll start the car, let it warm for a few minutes, then casually drive out of my neighborhood, not exceeding typically 20mph. It's when I turn out onto the main road, the first few seconds of accelearation that I'll get a strange hiccup...it honestly feels like a misfire, but I have plugs less than a year old, and have had the injectors replaced. I'm still on the OE HPFP however. It does seem that once the car is warm this behavior stops.

I didn't put the 2 together, but now I am thinking perhaps I should do a tranny flush? Could the cold tranny fluid (it has been extremely cold here lately) be causing this? I've changed to Redline in my previous manual trans cars, and have heard good things about BG products as well.

Details - '08 Step, 39k mi. Cobb S2+ with FBO, running only full-petrol 93 since I bought it. The latter is one reason why I think my HPFP has never needed to be changed, but that is just hypothesis.

Last edited by Gimlet; 02-01-2013 at 08:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 06:57 PM   #13
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

I had the same thing happen to me today. I left work, drove about 5 miles, and stopped for gas. After filling up, I turned the car on, put it in gear, the car rolled back a couple inches and I felt/heard a clunk before the car engaged and began to move forward. When I pulled out of the gas station, the car felt sluggish then I got the yellow gear symbol with the "!" in the center. When moving the gear lever to DS, the car stayed in D. It wouldn't shift into M1, M2, M3, etc. I drove the car to my house which is about a mile away from the gas station and turned the car off. A minute later I fired the car up and everything was back to normal. I found this strange seeing that it is not really cold outside (59 degrees) and the car was already warm. I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this symbol, and whether I can expect this problem to return/get worse. One thing I have noticed is that strange things can happen when your battery is less than fully charged. With all the sensors in this car, I'm wondering if some of these issues are related to a cold battery?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 09:22 AM   #14
igzekyativ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Wagon

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
I had the same thing happen to me today. I left work, drove about 5 miles, and stopped for gas. After filling up, I turned the car on, put it in gear, the car rolled back a couple inches and I felt/heard a clunk before the car engaged and began to move forward.
I took my car to BMW for this issue happening every time I went to drive and the car was cold. After the car warmed up, the issue went away.

BMW reporgrammed my car and the problem was solved. I think my car had "learned" some bad behavior and the reprogramming corrected it.

I did have to duplicate my problem (which was easy) with the BMW tech in my car because they didn't understand or couldn't duplicate the problem.
2007 328xi Wagon, Black Sapphire Metallic, Sports Package, Cold Weather Package, Rear PDC, Airlift kit with 3P mgmt, CF Akrym rep lip, LCI M-Tech front bumper, LUX Angel Eyes, Black Kidneys, LED Interior Lights, M3 Steering Wheel with Extended Billet DCT Paddles, 19" Staggered VMR 710's
Appreciate 0