E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > For those with sport seats, do you find your neck hurting?

01-16-2006, 10:40 PM   #1
bsjd00
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90

For those with sport seats, do you find your neck hurting?

I am just about to order a 330xi to replace my 8-week old Audi A4 which has been in the shop for 6 of those 8 weeks and is being repurchased by Audi.

I do have one remaining question for this board though. I fell in love with the sport seats after sitting in them for the first time. After sitting in them again tonight, I realized that if you lean your head back a bit to relax, you hit AIR. The headrests seem so far back that resting/relaxing on them seems impossible. Granted, on a test drive I did not spend as much time adjusting the seat as I should have, so hopefully this was just a fluke.

For those with the sport seats, how have you found neck support? Can you lean back on long drives and rest your head?

I saw a recent post on this board about the e90 being rated poorly for neck protection. I'm wondering if this might be why?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2006, 10:42 PM   #2
siriusinvestor
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1989 Ugo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsjd00
I am just about to order a 330xi to replace my 8-week old Audi A4 which has been in the shop for 6 of those 8 weeks and is being repurchased by Audi.

I do have one remaining question for this board though. I fell in love with the sport seats after sitting in them for the first time. After sitting in them again tonight, I realized that if you lean your head back a bit to relax, you hit AIR. The headrests seem so far back that resting/relaxing on them seems impossible. Granted, on a test drive I did not spend as much time adjusting the seat as I should have, so hopefully this was just a fluke.

For those with the sport seats, how have you found neck support? Can you lean back on long drives and rest your head?

I saw a recent post on this board about the e90 being rated poorly for neck protection. I'm wondering if this might be why?
If you are the driver of the E90, then no your neck will not be hurting. I can't not say the same for the passengers. Most people who ride in my car in the passenger seat usually lean the chair back alittle as well as hold on to the overhead side handle above the side window.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2006, 10:42 PM   #3
bsjd00
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Why, isn't the passenger's seat the same?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2006, 10:47 PM   #4
siriusinvestor
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1989 Ugo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsjd00
Why, isn't the passenger's seat the same?
Well when you are the driver, you kind of anticipate each and every turn. And in the E90, the throws for the passengers are very hard. When I take a hard right I usually tilt my body left in anticipation of the turn and therefore not irritating my neck, but the passenger can not have the same anticipation since they are not in control. That is the point I tried to make in the previous post, sorry if I wasn't clear the first time.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2006, 10:50 PM   #5
DerekS
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 X3 M Sport

Did you try rotating the headrest forward so that it touches your head, right behind your ears ?
Both front headrests are adjustable for height and rotation. Hopefully, there will be no "air" behind your head. Congratulations on your impending switch from Audi to E90.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2006, 10:50 PM   #6
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

The passenger seat is equipped with freak-out protection in the E90 with ZSP.
The driver's seat only needs the permanent-grin protection.
Both headrests are adjustable, and from my limited E90 seat time, have been quite comfortable and not dissimilar from the headrests on my E46 which are great for me -- I am 6'3".
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2006, 11:08 PM   #7
Shizzel720
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 M2

what was wrong with the A4?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2006, 11:52 PM   #8
bsjd00
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Admittedly, no I didn't spend enough time adjusting the headrests. It was more of an afterthought when I got back into my Audi loaner.

For those interested, this is what happened with my 2006 A4:

http://forums.audiworld.com/a4b7/msgs/30226.phtml
Appreciate 0