BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-28-2012, 02:37 PM   #309
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
so transmission being jerky / rough = working for it?

ive never been in an smg that drove smoothly, that transmssion is gone for a reason.
SMG is gone because people thought it was an automatic and it was anything but that. And yes, I've been in plenty of SMG M3s and M5s that were driven smoothly. Once again, it takes a developed skill to use correctly.
      06-29-2012, 07:20 AM   #310
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
SMG is gone because people thought it was an automatic and it was anything but that. And yes, I've been in plenty of SMG M3s and M5s that were driven smoothly. Once again, it takes a developed skill to use correctly.
you can believe that if you like

the smg is terrible compared to the dct.

perhaps for nostalgic or other reasons you prefer it, but the vast majority do not. the dct is faster, smoother, more reliable (so far, only 4.5 years old) and more responsive.

anyway, 1 series ftw, most fun you can have for a reasonable price in a BMW
      06-29-2012, 08:11 AM   #311
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
you can believe that if you like

the smg is terrible compared to the dct.

perhaps for nostalgic or other reasons you prefer it, but the vast majority do not. the dct is faster, smoother, more reliable (so far, only 4.5 years old) and more responsive.

anyway, 1 series ftw, most fun you can have for a reasonable price in a BMW
And yet, for all it's speed and and smoothness, DCT is often cited as the weakest part of the car in performance driving.

Yes, great, the vast majority. It's because of their incompetence that the manual is going away, traction control is driving the car for us, and turbos are spoiling proper driver's cars.
      06-29-2012, 08:34 AM   #312
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
And yet, for all it's speed and and smoothness, DCT is often cited as the weakest part of the car in performance driving.

Yes, great, the vast majority. It's because of their incompetence that the manual is going away, traction control is driving the car for us, and turbos are spoiling proper driver's cars.
:facepalm: at all of that

have you driven a dct car on the track? look at the times for a dct vs a 6mt on the track, the DCT smokes the 6mt. for track driving the dct is superior to a 6mt all day. no missed shifts, keep both hands on the wheel, easy to be in the perfect gear all the time. of all the things ive heard people complain about DCT, the fact that its slow on the track is not one of them. seriously SMH at that comment. i love driving 6mt cars too, i owned a bunch of them. but its not faster on the track.

you can argue which transmssion is more fun on the track, and there are arguments to be made for both. thats an issue of personal preference.

as far as turbos ruining cars, thats your opinion. modern cars with turbos have tons of great benefits.

"proper driving cars", "because of other's incompetence"? you are ridiculous, enjoy being a driving legend in your own mind. arrogant much?
      06-29-2012, 09:03 AM   #313
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Quote:

news flash......You're not 'the stig'!
You bought the least powerful 1 series and looking at your list of mods, I see nothing that improves handling or power, unless debadging counts towards reduced track times, you're much more concerned with looks and deception not improving performance. You constantly rant about manual transmissions as if you need to have a F1 qualification to drive one. I taught my daughter to drive one in about an hour. Its not difficult at all. There was a day where every car was a stick, everyone(including grannies) drove em. Having a manual transmission car doesnt make you any better of a driver than those who dont have one.
Most of the cars I've come in contact with the TC can be turned off with the push of a button. But yet you try to make that a point, a moot one.

'Turbos are spoiling proper drivers cars'? A nonsensical statement usually made by those who couldnt pony up the extra for the F/I cars. The owners of Ferrari F40's, GT2's, GTR's any many other world beater turbo cars laugh at your ridiculous statements. You keep on posing stiggy, most see through your BS.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 09:35 AM   #314
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

'Turbos are spoiling proper drivers cars'? A nonsensical statement usually made by those who couldnt pony up the extra for the F/I cars. The owners of Ferrari F40's, GT2's, GTR's any many other world beater turbo cars laugh at your ridiculous statements

+1
      06-29-2012, 10:04 AM   #315
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
:facepalm: at all of that

have you driven a dct car on the track? look at the times for a dct vs a 6mt on the track, the DCT smokes the 6mt. for track driving the dct is superior to a 6mt all day. no missed shifts, keep both hands on the wheel, easy to be in the perfect gear all the time. of all the things ive heard people complain about DCT, the fact that its slow on the track is not one of them. seriously SMH at that comment. i love driving 6mt cars too, i owned a bunch of them. but its not faster on the track.
Must just be me, oh wait...

Quote:
Originally Posted by x97Melbourne View Post
Repost from the F20 / European Hatchback Forum...sorry if this is a repeat.
(I posted in wrong forum)

Feb 2012 Article in Car and Driver about the 335is (2 door coupe) with the DCT was very interesting and I was wondering if any of the DCT/automatic fans had any comments. I know this is a 3-series, but there seems to be a lot more passion about the DCT and sportiness with 1-series fans. In addition, it is somewhat rare to order the manual transmission in the 335i. Seems like many 1-series drivers prefer the MT.

So...the highlights of the article...and what was interesting to me:

Page 49:
---------------
"335is test car was equipped with the optional 7-speed DCT automatic that is also offered in the M3 (and 135i). This gearbox has proven more problematic for track work than the aforementioned 335i's traditional manual."

"The steering wheel paddles sometimes did not follow through on a command."

"A transmission can't be the only culprit for a car's disappointing performance. Actually, it was the only complaint of the two drivers who drove the 335is."

"We would choose the standard manual if it were our money. And maybe that would improve the BMW's lap time. It would certainly increase the fun quotient."
-------------
The automatic/DCT seemed ok to me, although I'm more biased to the MT. But I do agree that the paddle shifters are kind of a novelty item (they certainly are in my current car and the 135i's I've test driven).

But (in regards to the article) does anyone think that the automatic/DCT does has the "fun quotient" of the MT? Car and Driver didn't really seem to like the DCT at all, both in terms of performance and the driving experience.

And for those "track people" (which I am not) even though the DCT is faster 0-60, according to Car and Driver it is slower overall around a lap, which would seem to be more important overall?

Anyway, just wanted to share...I liked the article and the opinion and comments they provided.

Quote:

as far as turbos ruining cars, thats your opinion. modern cars with turbos have tons of great benefits.
Fuel economy(which is offset by maintenance easily) and power figures(offset by lag and poor power bands).

Quote:
"proper driving cars", "because of other's incompetence"? you are ridiculous, enjoy being a driving legend in your own mind. arrogant much?
It has nothing to do with me, but it's nice to know you are thinking of me. Everyone who enjoys driving a connected car suffers when things like the Nissan GTR become the norm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
news flash......You're not 'the stig'!
News flash.....you're not New York City. Yes that sounded just as retarded as your post.

Quote:
You bought the least powerful 1 series and looking at your list of mods, I see nothing that improves handling or power, unless debadging counts towards reduced track times, you're much more concerned with looks and deception not improving performance.
Yes, I haven't updated my sig since they day I got the car. DISA valves, tune for that, PSS, proper light wheels, and TCK coilovers. None of those do anything.

Also, deception?

Quote:
Most of the cars I've come in contact with the TC can be turned off with the push of a button. But yet you try to make that a point, a moot one.
There are plenty of cars where traction control can't be turned off completely. Even non M BMWs require you to hold the button down for an extended period of time.

Quote:
'Turbos are spoiling proper drivers cars'? A nonsensical statement usually made by those who couldnt pony up the extra for the F/I cars. The owners of Ferrari F40's, GT2's, GTR's any many other world beater turbo cars laugh at your ridiculous statements. You keep on posing stiggy, most see through your BS.
And back to my favorite statement. That someone, everyone who didn't get a 135i must have done so because they are poor. Certainly isn't because they value other things more in a car(weight, power band, reliability), it's just a lack of funds.

And yes, the GTR(and that mentality) is spoiling proper driver's cars. The GT2 was never the driver's car(that was the GT3), and the F40 effectively isn't a car for the point of this discussion.
      06-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #316
coda72
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i convertible

Wow, got off topic for a bit there, huh? And it always seems to come back to 135 owners coming in this thread trying to justify their reasons when this thread isn't about them.

I'm still extremely happy with my 128. Is it the fastest car on the road? Absolutely not. Is it faster than over half the cars out there? More than likely. Let's put it this way, when I'm at a traffic light, I never have trouble getting out in front of anyone.

As far as buying the cheapest BMW, I don't think so. As I said already, since I have a vert, it cost more than a base 328 at the time.

MT vs. AT vs. DCT- that will be an argument until the end of time. I love my MT, buy what you like though. It's a great car regardless.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #317
coda72
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's just the DISA valves and tune. I'll have a write up somewhat soon of using only OEM parts to get a 128i to 268hp.
I'm very interested in reading this write up. While 230 hp is enough, I wouldn't mind getting 268 hp either. I see you're near Philly as am I, did you get this done at a local shop or install the mods yourself?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 03:26 PM   #318
Fox128i
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82

Garage List
2012 128i  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by coda72 View Post
Let's put it this way, when I'm at a traffic light, I never have trouble getting out in front of anyone.
X2

06-29-2012, 06:02 PM   #319
Indo Rider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

This thread is awesome. I come here for laughs when I'm bored. I've never seen such defensive rhetoric about such petty things.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 06:18 PM   #320
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Let's put it this way, when I'm at a traffic light, I never have trouble getting out in front of anyone.
Really now.
The 128 is a nice enough car and all but you can get in front of anyone! Remarkable!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 06:27 PM   #321
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Really now.
The 128 is a nice enough car and all but you can get in front of anyone! Remarkable!
I don't engage in stoplight racing, but if I want to get in front of someone merging onto the highway or whatever, I very, very rarely have a problem doing so.

The fact is, the 128i is pretty fast compared to the majority of cars on the road. Sure, there are lots of faster cars around, but I don't see very many of them in the wild. YMMV. I guess it depends where you live.
      06-29-2012, 06:54 PM   #322
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
I don't engage in stoplight racing, but if I want to get in front of someone merging onto the highway or whatever, I very, very rarely have a problem doing so.

The fact is, the 128i is pretty fast compared to the majority of cars on the road. Sure, there are lots of faster cars around, but I don't see very many of them in the wild. YMMV. I guess it depends where you live.
First off, I wasnt talking to you Bob.
The comment was directed at the person who made the statement.
Secondly, "anyone" is a pretty definitive word. Thats pretty cut and dry and a ridiculous comment by just about "anyone".
Thirdly, if you live in an area where the 128 is one of the big dogs on the block, you must live in a very desolate area.
Where I live, my 600hp Corvette can come across worthy competiton several times a day.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 07:04 PM   #323
coda72
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob
Quote:
Really now.

I rarely see many fast cars here either. It's mostly SUVs, and they're not known to be super quick. So, as of yet, I've had no real problems getting the jump on someone if I need to, but I'll be sure to let you know when it happens, nyc6.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 07:31 PM   #324
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
First off, I wasnt talking to you Bob.
God, why are you so juvenile and defensive? I was just offering a supporting opinion. I think I was being perfectly civil.

And no, I don't live in a "desolate area," only the 7th-largest city in the US. And I find it utterly amazing that you come across cars faster than your 600 HP Corvette "several times a day," lol. Whatever, dude. Maybe it's a NY thing.
      06-29-2012, 07:34 PM   #325
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I rarely see many fast cars here either. It's mostly SUVs, and they're not known to be super quick. So, as of yet, I've had no real problems getting the jump on someone if I need to, but I'll be sure to let you know when it happens, nyc6.
You do that gunfighter. You know the day will come at some point where a car actually quicker than a low 6 second 0-60 will get the draw on you and shoot you dead.
A man cant stay king of the hill forever, ya know.

By the way. Heres a couple SUV's I hope you dont 'line up' against in your 1. You're gonna be dead meat. Maybe you dont have any there, Im guessing.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/special-...rdcore-haulers
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #326
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You do that gunfighter. You know the day will come at some point where a car actually quicker than a low 6 second 0-60 will get the draw on you and shoot you dead.

By the way. Heres a couple SUV's I hope you dont 'line up' against in your 1. You're gonna be dead meat. Maybe you dont have any there, Im guessing.
I find it amusing how dedicated you are to the mission of proving that there are cars out there faster than the 128i. Always ready with the magazine links.

Well, in the real world most of us aren't "lining up" against Porsche Cayenne Turbos. Maybe you do when you play Gran Turismo, but I never seem to catch them during my morning commute.

Last edited by Bimmer-Bob; 06-29-2012 at 07:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #327
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
God, why are you so juvenile and defensive? I was just offering a supporting opinion. I think I was being perfectly civil.

And no, I don't live in a "desolate area," only the 7th-largest city in the US. And I find it utterly amazing that you come across cars faster than your 600 HP Corvette "several times a day," lol. Whatever, dude. Maybe it's a NY thing.
Not saying your weren't being civil. I was also. Just told you I wasnt talking to you.
There are many fast cars(even SUV's) on the road all across this country. For someone to say their 230hp car rarely has a problem getting in front is, in a word.......ridiculous. You lose all credibility which such comments.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 07:44 PM   #328
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I find it amusing how dedicated you are to the mission of proving that there are cars out there faster than the 128i. Always ready with the magazine links.

Well, in the real world most of us aren't "ling up" against Porsche Cayenne Turbos. Maybe you do when you play Gran Turismo, but I never seem to catch them during my morning commute.
When you make far fetched, fantasy land comments you will get called on it.
Dont play video games. Have 2 nice real autos I play with.
And your right about one thing, you cant catch the Cayenne.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 07:51 PM   #329
coda72
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob
Quote:

Well, in the real world most of us aren't "ling up" against Porsche Cayenne Turbos. Maybe you do when you play Gran Turismo, but I never seem to catch them during my morning commute.
It's really not worth it even trying to reason with the kind of people like him, so I guess we shouldn't bother.

I guess I live in a pretty desolate area of Philly too because I can't remember the last time I saw a Porsche Cayenne. Not to mention the last Corvette I saw was a couple months ago. But I'll keep living in my fantasy world.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 07:51 PM   #330
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
For someone to say their 230hp car rarely has a problem getting in front is, in a word.......ridiculous. You lose all credibility which such comments.
You keep talking about all these cars out there that are faster than the 128i, and I don't deny it - but you seem to ignore just how many cars there are on the roads that are slower. I would say probably 75% of the cars I encounter are slower, and many of the faster cars are being driven sedately. You can read magazines and think everyone is driving a Veyron, or you can look around and see that most people are cruising around in Accords, Corollas, Fusions, etc. So, in the context of real world driving (not lining up against other cars or racing on the highway) I often find that I've got more than enough power available to me to confidently merge, pass, etc. You don't have to find that credible, but I'm driving my car every day, not you.