BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-24-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

How much Hp/Tq oem Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF) can handle

Hey
How much power can our stock clutch and DMF can handle now I am on COBB stg2+ and my clutch is sometimes slipping. Im thinking to go with SPEC stg2+ clutch which should hold that power just fine but my DMF is also give some vibrations chatter and I think oem DMF will not hold that power. There is single mass flywheels but they give terrible noise.
Anybody can suggest maybe you had same problem/choice?
Which way to go?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 09:36 AM   #2
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Seems like the RB folks are getting on OK with just a clutch swap, so that’s what we’ll call it 480-520WTQ depending on how aggressive you’re running things. Wouldn’t think you’d need a SMFW unless you were really shooting for huge power. Swap the clutch with a SPEC model and see where that gets you. Stock 6MT clutch doesn’t hold power well at all, but overall that trans is pretty beefy.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #3
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

I don't see why the DMF itself is the problem if you are slipping. It won't change your coefficient of friction to change to a single mass flywheel that is probably using the same aluminum friction surface. The holding power will be up to the disc and pressure plate.

Clutch dumping or power shifting a bone stock car with slicks will put more force on the DMF's spring action than a car with an extra 100hp with street tires. I believe the only real concern with a DMF is that the internal springs, if abused too much in those situations, will eventually lose their spring and you'll get an internal lash or slack, causing a clacking sound. I don't see a lot of complaints for the BMW DMF, but you can search Youtube for Ford truck DMFs that do this.

Internally, the DMF springs will eventually bind and stop. It will never freewheel or stop holding. A DMF only has a certain amount of travel, probably 1/4 turn give or take, but it varies and I'm not sure on BMW's design. This is opposed to a spring clutch disc which would only have a few degrees of travel (maybe 5-10 before spring bind).
      09-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #4
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
Seems like the RB folks are getting on OK with just a clutch swap, so that’s what we’ll call it 480-520WTQ depending on how aggressive you’re running things. Wouldn’t think you’d need a SMFW unless you were really shooting for huge power. Swap the clutch with a SPEC model and see where that gets you. Stock 6MT clutch doesn’t hold power well at all, but overall that trans is pretty beefy.
Well some of RB guys experience misfires do to stupid DMF which does not hold the power. I saw at least few cases when RB cars had misfires and it was fixed by just replacing DMF with SMF.
The problem is If I will get SPEC stg2+ clutch kit which works with oem DMF and expensive DMF will fail again. I will have to buy another clutch kit which works with SMF and pay again expensive labor hours.
It will be crazy money paid twice. I want to know if there is somebody running COBB stg2+ power with aftermarket clutch but DMF is it still ok?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 01:15 PM   #5
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freon View Post
I don't see why the DMF itself is the problem if you are slipping. It won't change your coefficient of friction to change to a single mass flywheel that is probably using the same aluminum friction surface. The holding power will be up to the disc and pressure plate.

Clutch dumping or power shifting a bone stock car with slicks will put more force on the DMF's spring action than a car with an extra 100hp with street tires. I believe the only real concern with a DMF is that the internal springs, if abused too much in those situations, will eventually lose their spring and you'll get an internal lash or slack, causing a clacking sound. I don't see a lot of complaints for the BMW DMF, but you can search Youtube for Ford truck DMFs that do this.

Internally, the DMF springs will eventually bind and stop. It will never freewheel or stop holding. A DMF only has a certain amount of travel, probably 1/4 turn give or take, but it varies and I'm not sure on BMW's design. This is opposed to a spring clutch disc which would only have a few degrees of travel (maybe 5-10 before spring bind).
The thing is if the springs will not hold inside DMF it will cause for clutch to slip. Look on this video and see how it moves clutch will slip also when DMF failed and more it can kill your clutch

In most cases when clutch is slipping and if you will take it apart on N54 car you will see that clutch disc will still have a lot of thread/life on it.
Here you can hear DMF chatter which is going bad. And there is other stories when it can cause vibrations when going in 4th gear low rpm WOT. Try yours.
Appreciate 0