E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 330xi or i?

02-22-2006, 04:58 PM   #45
ver.e90
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

I live in White Plains. I would actually like to see how a 330xi feels with the performance wheels on. Its rare that a dealer would have this configuration ready for a test drive...
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2006, 05:16 PM   #46
ver.e90
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

To answer a few of your questions, I live 45 min. north of Manhattan, so I do get a few days in the winter where it can get hairy. I drive 25 miles north everyday for work, so public transportation isn't an option. I was thinking maybe I can drive my wife's FWD Lexus on the days when it may become nasty. I'm just looking for a really good reason to get the i over the xi. I've read in this forum how the performance of the i vs xi is night and day. So, being that I have been driving around in an xi for 3 years (and appreciated having it those snowy/icy days), I want to drive a car thats a little more fun to drive. If you xi owners are telling me that the new x-drive technology is better than that of the AWD system, then I'll probably get the xi.

BTW, I'm pretty good about avoiding potholes, but as you northeast dwellers are aware of, potholes are pretty much like the plague during the winter months. Do the 18" wheels bend quite easily when driving through an impressive pothole?

For the i owners with 18" wheels and performance tires, do you all change your wheels/tires because of poor traction(even in dry, yet cold conditions)? Yes, I can get the extra set of wheels, but I don't want to have to switch wheels every year (I'm lazy like that, I guess)

Thanks for all of your opinions! Its like 6pm and I'm checking to see if people would actually reply to my redundant post. I was quite surprised, to say the least. You guys are the best! Thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2006, 05:21 PM   #47
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDriver
I live in White Plains. I would actually like to see how a 330xi feels with the performance wheels on. Its rare that a dealer would have this configuration ready for a test drive...
Hi AWD

I would show you BUT I have winter wheels and tires on right now.

I'll probably take them off in mid March.

In the interim, send me a PM if you want to talk more.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2006, 05:23 PM   #48
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

Quote:

BTW, I'm pretty good about avoiding potholes, but as you northeast dwellers are aware of, potholes are pretty much like the plague during the winter months. Do the 18" wheels bend quite easily when driving through an impressive pothole?
Yes, they do.

Quote:

For the i owners with 18" wheels and performance tires, do you all change your wheels/tires because of poor traction(even in dry, yet cold conditions)? Yes, I can get the extra set of wheels, but I don't want to have to switch wheels every year (I'm lazy like that, I guess)
On my 530i, I changed them because summer tires lose adhesion under 13°C.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2006, 05:25 PM   #49
CirrusSR22
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGRAY
Here's a picture of an 330xi with all season tires in 12 inches of snow; no problem.

Try that with rear wheel drive and snow tires.
Been doing it for years.....
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2006, 06:45 PM   #50
///M3John
Rep
Drives: 2004 Audi A4 Ultra

sorry but this is a bit off-topic: I have an AWD w/ all season tires (19's) and I have no issues. Back to the point, RWD w/ snow tires are sufficient enough to drive in the East Coast area. I've had the E36 M3 w/ decent snow tires and they were "pretty good" but not as good as AWD (xi). It depends if you want to spend the extra bucks for AWD. BTW, its awesome in heavy rain too!

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2006, 07:52 PM   #51
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Quote:
To answer a few of your questions, I live 45 min. north of Manhattan, so I do get a few days in the winter where it can get hairy. I drive 25 miles north everyday for work, so public transportation isn't an option. I was thinking maybe I can drive my wife's FWD Lexus on the days when it may become nasty. I'm just looking for a really good reason to get the i over the xi. I've read in this forum how the performance of the i vs xi is night and day. So, being that I have been driving around in an xi for 3 years (and appreciated having it those snowy/icy days), I want to drive a car thats a little more fun to drive. If you xi owners are telling me that the new x-drive technology is better than that of the AWD system, then I'll probably get the xi.
Do you happen to know how many days(approximately) in a year it snows and get really nasty over there?
If more than few months, I highly recommand the Xi. Don't get me or any of us E90i owners wrong, E90Xi is a GREAT car. Its a bmw, what do you expect. Though, it is wide known that BMW's AWD system isn't the best in the market. Its still a great system however, but there are other automotive manufacturers with more know-hows on AWDs. But if you want a nice sporty luxury cruiser with that extra capability to handle difficult weather conditions, Xi will do the job just fine. I wouldn't call it a "day-n-night" difference between the Xi/i either, just minor differences that most daily drivers won't even really feel. Honestly, by reading your posts, I think you'll be fine with E90i with sets of winter setup in your garage. If you don't want that kind of hassle however, just get the damn Xi.

Quote:
Do the 18" wheels bend quite easily when driving through an impressive pothole?
Not the bmw wheels I know of. Im sure BMW factory wheels are one of the best quality rims out there. Bigger rims obviously have more tendancy to bend given same impact, but in my opinion, you are in safer range. 19"/20" is where it can get pretty serious. Most of times, after owning 19"/20" wheels, you can see the owners of them complaining about the wheels not being able to be balanced.

Quote:
Alot of people has winter setup for three reasons:
1. Show: Many owners want to protect their beautiful looking 162s during the winter from all the salt, rocks, etc etc.
2. Performance: Save the amount of traction left on summer tires, for real fun during the summer where good amount of dry traction is required. Last I remember, people say BFG's "KD" lettering stands for Killer-Dry. (don't quote me on that)
3. Traction: Summer performance tires just can't cut it during the winter in the area. Needs better winter-suited tires for that extra traction you desire during bad weather conditions.

And yes, Im one of those people who doesn't want to change the wheels every year. so I just drive it. In oregon, it rains for almost 6mth in a year. Hey, Im doing fine. It doesn't snow here though.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2006, 08:22 PM   #52
Saintor
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

Don't get AWD. It is a waste of money. People have RWD pick-ups all around the country. Get winter tires. There are great ones now and you'll barely feel a decrease in ride quality (I love my Viking Snowtech - by Continental). And it won't be really an additional expense, because you'll save your summer tires.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2006, 09:05 PM   #53
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I wouldn't say AWD is waste of money.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2006, 09:13 PM   #54
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi Titanium Silver

Garage List
2006 330xi  [10.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
These are sucker's threads. Same argument gets hashed over and over pitting the RWDers against the AWDers. The RWDers say AWD is unecessary and a waste of money, just buy yourself some snow tires and you'll be fine. AWDers say nothing works like AWD in the snow, it's a must have. Some good points are made, some stupid comments are made and each side is fully entrenched in their respective position. Finally after endless posts and comments the thread dies down ... till some unsuspecting well intentioned newbie asks the dreaded question "i or xi" ???? And we all say " OH NO NOT AGAIN!!!!! "
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2006, 09:20 PM   #55
///M3John
Rep
Drives: 2004 Audi A4 Ultra

LOL...well said BKsBimmer
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2006, 10:29 PM   #56
ver.e90
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKsBimmer
These are sucker's threads. Same argument gets hashed over and over pitting the RWDers against the AWDers. The RWDers say AWD is unecessary and a waste of money, just buy yourself some snow tires and you'll be fine. AWDers say nothing works like AWD in the snow, it's a must have. Some good points are made, some stupid comments are made and each side is fully entrenched in their respective position. Finally after endless posts and comments the thread dies down ... till some unsuspecting well intentioned newbie asks the dreaded question "i or xi" ???? And we all say " OH NO NOT AGAIN!!!!! "
I didn't realize this topic was tortured to death in the past. Okay, BKsBimmer. So, what was the deciding factor for you? I notice you picked up an xi. Was it just a coin toss for you, considering you live in a region where bad winter weather is a hit/miss?

BTW (off the subject): does anyone know if its possible to order wheels that are not specified for a particular package? For example, if I end up getting the 330xi (w/ZSP), I want to switch my wheels from style 158 to 159. If not, would the dealer be willing to give me some sort of credit towards the purchase of the 159 wheels, while they keep the 158 wheels?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2006, 10:40 PM   #57
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
^ Yes, you can always try and work it out with your salesman.
There are few members here who swapped their 325i stock wheels to 162s(paying more of course) at the dealership.

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2006, 10:40 PM   #58
ver.e90
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean330xi
Egads man. Driving summer tires in the snow. That's scary (esp for other drivers near you on the road). I have had a 330xi for 2 months now and immediately put winter tires on it when it arrived, storing the nice 162s with their summer tires for warmer days.
Jean330xi, did you get your xi from Westchester BMW? So, you ordered your car with the 162 wheels, huh? Was there a decent amount of gap between the wheel well and tire, since the xi is perched up ever so slightly?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2006, 10:52 PM   #59
ver.e90
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh
Amazing. So I don't know who is more stupid.

A guy complaining how e90 with 162s on low-profile SUMMER PERFORMANCE TIRES sliding on snow or the guy scared of buying RWD because of occasional snow.

AWDriver, tell us what kind of driver you are, and what you want in a car. And maybe even include weather/road condition of the places you live/go to. And I assume you have enough income to afford a set of dedicated winter rims/tires setup?

EDIT: Didn't see JSpira's post regarding summer tires.
lux.sh:

I would say I'm quite an aggressive driver. I like to sometimes push my car to its limit (acceleration, cornering, blah blah).

As far as road conditions, for the most part the roads are OK. There are occasional bumps and potholes from time to time. What really kills my car is when I go to nyc and try to dodge those craters and construction plates.

We tend to get (on average) 3 major snow storms per winter and 2-4 minor snow events.

As far as income to afford a set of dedicated winter rims/tires setup, finances is not the issue here. I just don't have the liberty of storing four wheels in my apartment garage.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2006, 11:09 PM   #60
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
AWDriver, I responded above.

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2006, 11:14 PM   #61
ver.e90
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh
AWDriver, I responded above.
Regarding the dealer and wheel swap? Okay, got it. I'm going to head over to my dealer tomorrow morning and inquire about the whole wheel exchange deal.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2006, 11:18 PM   #62
Kamando
Captain
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
As far as income to afford a set of dedicated winter rims/tires setup, finances is not the issue here. I just don't have the liberty of storing four wheels in my apartment garage.
BMW should be willing to store the wheels for you. They did for me and only charged me 25 euro (about $30 US).
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2006, 12:08 AM   #63
ver.e90
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamando
BMW should be willing to store the wheels for you. They did for me and only charged me 25 euro (about $30 US).
WOW- really? I've never heard of such a service provided by BMW. I'll certainly look into it, though I doubt it exists... so, they charged you 25 euro for how long? The whole winter? Per month?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2006, 12:26 AM   #64
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Regarding the dealer and wheel swap? Okay, got it. I'm going to head over to my dealer tomorrow morning and inquire about the whole wheel exchange deal.

Thanks
look up even more. I say you get the Xi.

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2006, 02:14 AM   #65
Kamando
Captain
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
WOW- really? I've never heard of such a service provided by BMW. I'll certainly look into it, though I doubt it exists... so, they charged you 25 euro for how long? The whole winter? Per month?
The winter
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2006, 07:37 AM   #66
eleven24
Foppa!
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35i

Just picked up my 330xi one week ago today. My prior car was a 2000 328i and before that a 1998 323i Convert ~ both with the Sport Pkg. I certainly know the drive of a non-AWD BMW and I can honestly say the E90 XI is a better handling car than any of my previous cars.

As far as tires go, I ordered the car with the 162's & summer tires. I have a set of winter wheels ready to go, but its almost March & I'm guessing the snow is done with. If not, I'll swap the wheels out.

I think a lot of people make the mistake of thinking an XI is only to be purchased if the car will be in snow. While it is an added benefit, it wasn't my primary decision maker. The XI is much more sure footed in all conditions and is a complete blast to drive.

Unless you plan on taking your car to the track, which 95% of us won't be doing, then the comparisons made between the i and xi are meaningless. Both cars are exceptional driving machines, yet I've read many posts where people immediately discount the XI because they don't like the extra wheel gap. Perhaps it's because I ordered a black car, but I barely notice the difference - especially with the 18" 162's. The other arguments like more oversteer in the XI, or that it's slower because it is heavier are, in a word, overkill. It's the same argument Lexus IS drivers will spew out when comparing to a Three. Stats or specs don't make the car. Driveability is what makes the car.

I guess my point is that I've had a 3-series with sport package for 8 years prior to the E90 XI. I'll never buy a non XI again. This car is much MUCH quieter over bumps, has a lot of power, and inspires confidence in less than perfect road conditions. Don't get all caught up in the specs of the car, and the opinions of many who have never even driven the XI.