BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-28-2012, 06:03 AM   #1
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Experiences with different tire pressure values

Below a picture of the 1M tire pressure specs.

What tire pressure specs do you use (Summer/Winter/Track) and what are your experiences with different values ?

Name:  1M_TirePressure.jpg
Views: 3168
Size:  118.4 KB
(soruce: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...92&postcount=6)
      10-28-2012, 08:50 AM   #2
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Just summer or pseudo winter here, basically city driving plus some highway and once a week a spirited back road drive, so: I was using exactly those factory recommendations with stock PS2s, now with PSS I am going one more front and rear (2.4/2.3). I will try factory recommendation one more time with PSS though, to make sure what I like more.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 04:13 PM   #3
LotusBoy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M, N55, KW's DDC

I'm running 18in M3-wheels all year long. I started with 2,1 and 2,0 for the road then I had my KW-DDC and went up to the 19in recommended pressures of 2,3 and 2,2.
On a dry track with normal temperatures, I will decrease by 0,4 bars front and back, to allow for heating.
On a wet track, pressures should normally be increased above recommended stock pressures. But in all honesty, I just kept driving as it started to rain, as my track time was limited... Ho wait, that's maybe why ended up spinning ??

Last edited by LotusBoy; 10-28-2012 at 04:15 PM.. Reason: Updating
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 05:05 PM   #4
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Just summer or pseudo winter here, basically city driving plus some highway and once a week a spirited back road drive, so: I was using exactly those factory recommendations with stock PS2s, now with PSS I am going one more front and rear (2.4/2.3). I will try factory recommendation one more time with PSS though, to make sure what I like more.
Please let us know how you get on with the factory settings on the PSS. I'll be swapping soon to PSS all round and would like to hear feedback from people who have tested different settings
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #5
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBuer View Post
Please let us know how you get on with the factory settings on the PSS. I'll be swapping soon to PSS all round and would like to hear feedback from people who have tested different settings
So, today I just experimented with factory recommendation pressures, 34 front 32 rear when cold (2.3 / 2.2 bar) after passing quite a time with 36 fr/34re and was satisfied. I can tell that there is a difference; I made sure tires were cold before I checked and changed pressures and chose my most memorized/routine fast road nearby. In the city and when slow, especially on less than perfect surface factory setting gives more supple ride, it is noticeable and impressive when you compare it to PS2 levels of comfort. However, when you reach the highway quality and fast road things change to opposite; even after the car and tires were warm enough I felt that the steering response was too light for my liking at those speeds and lane changes. I also tried a regular big braking (a certain exit where you arrive fast-over 200 km/h- and then need to slow down to 60 or so quickly. Brakes always give a hint of complaint there but this time I felt like tires were responding unevenly and did not bite enough for a split second, nothing too dramatic or dangerous, I was careful and watching but the difference was there.

Since I drive most of the time in "slow" conditions I will keep the factory pressures for some time. You guys can make your own decisions depending on your style and conditions, but I recommend for anyone who will start with a brand new SS set, start with factory pressures and play around after the break-in period (approx. 500 km or 300 miles).
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

At least for use on track, I set tire pressures based on the tires optimal hot pressures.

For the Michelin PSS, this is between 37-39 psi. Since I pick up 8-9 psi on track, I start with cold temps around 28.5 psi and check tires' hot temps immediately upon coming off the track.

For use on the street, I generally set the tires at around 32 psi.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #7
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
At least for use on track, I set tire pressures based on the tires optimal hot pressures.

For the Michelin PSS, this is between 37-39 psi. Since I pick up 8-9 psi on track, I start with cold temps around 28.5 psi and check tires' hot temps immediately upon coming off the track.

For use on the street, I generally set the tires at around 32 psi.

Neil
You go same pressure front and rear?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 08:11 AM   #8
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
You go same pressure front and rear?
Yes, I do.

I used to run a couple of pounds more in front to reduce understeer, but this is not necessary with my revised suspension and alignment.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 03:41 PM   #9
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

My PSS are being fitted on Saturday and I'll start with the factory settings as suggested. Thanks for the feedback
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 08:07 PM   #10
E36325is
Second Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 1M coupe

33PSI cold air pressure all around for general street use, if mostly long haul highway runs, 34PSI good enough.
Appreciate 0