BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-28-2012, 02:54 PM   #1
Florida
Rep
Drives: 135i

Bank 1 Rich (Service Engine Soon Code 172)

Hi. I just got a service engine soon light so I checked the code and it came back as code 172 which is bank 1 rich. I was going to give it a try to fix it since I enjoy working on cars before I take it in. I don't think it is a bad 02 sensor since the car has less than 50k miles. It's running rich so I think it might be a leak in a vacuum line. What else could it be? The car is a 2009 135i. Thanks for any help in advanced!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I would take your car into a BMW dealer and tell them your car failed an emission test. The car is covered for emissions for five years or 80K miles.

A P172 code means your O2 sensors are seeing too much unburned fuel. O2 sensors do go bad on these cars.

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0172

IS your car mod'd? DP's ??? Do you still have your cats? The vacuum lines going to the turbos have been known to pop off. You might start there. Might as well have your HPFP replaced while your there - if it has not been done under the recall.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 07:56 AM   #3
Florida
Rep
Drives: 135i

Thanks for the help!

I'm not sure if the car has a downpipe since I just recently bought it. I'll have to check. I didn't even know about the recall either. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida View Post
Thanks for the help!

I'm not sure if the car has a downpipe since I just recently bought it. I'll have to check. I didn't even know about the recall either. Thanks again.

You can take your car or a copy of its VIN to any BMW dealer and have them check for open recalls.

The HPFP (high pressure fuel pump) for 2008 and 2009 US cars has been extended to 10 years or 100K miles and have a recall campaign. We will have to see what BMW does for 2010 M.Y and later cars.

The HPFP recall is to replace the fuel pump AND install new software (SW) update. Some have noticed a increase with turbo lag(as happened to me). You can tell IF your can has this new SW by/when you unlock your car and you immediately hear the low pressure fuel pump start to humm - before you start to car!

The Federal Emissions Warranty can cover emissions related components for vehicles up to 8 years after the in service date or up to 80,000 miles, whichever comes first.

http://suite101.com/article/car-and-...#ixzz1zIFHMjOt

Your BMW is covered by a free four year service plan, you pay for nothing (except tires) for four years or 50K miles. Basically that means three or four free oil changes and maybe a brake job. They also pay for new wipers and pollen filter and brake fluid flush. Spark plugs should be changed at 45K miles too - also covered.

BMW's come with a 5 years / 60,000 mile(?) powertrain warranty too. You can also buy an extension if you like from any dealer.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 06:00 PM   #5
bavaddict
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32 435i MPerf Edit

OP, wondering what was the outcome of your diagnosis or what was the solution that you came up with?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0