BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-31-2013, 09:01 AM   #23
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger_Extract View Post
Actually, the huge selling point of the Star Specs is that they work well in the rain compared to their competitors, that, and they also have a wide temperature range in which they can stick like glue.
Like I said, people here really like to sip the Michelin Kool-Aid. It's a great tire, that rides nicely on the freeway, but as I previously mentioned, would get out-handled by a great number of tires, many of which are also less expensive..
Ive been running a set of Z1s for the past 3 years. Its a great tire. But it leaves a lot to be desired in the rain. The difference is that with the star specs you can drive like a granny home
With the PS2s (ive never driven a set of PSS but assume that its like my two sets of PS2s but better) I could power down if need be, I could avoid accidents - I could drive my car like I wanted to drive. With the star specs ive spun the rears in the wet while putting power down on the freeway in 4th... on a smooth road.

Theres no kool aid around here. Thats my personal experience. On a side note I checked out the price on replacement tires for next season. A set if PSS is actually $50 cheaper than a set of Z2s for me.

Michelin did a fantastic job with the balance of the PSS, there are just no two ways around it.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 05:57 PM   #24
Rockstar1487
Tarnished One
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack
The Continental Extremes are all season tires and do not compare with dedicated, maximum performance summer tires like the PSS. All season tires compromise performance in order to function across a wider range of environments. This is why many people living in places with a wide range of temperature and who want higher performance year round will run 2 sets of tires - Summers and Winters.
Theres actually two types of extremes. DW and DWS. The DW are just for summer while the DWS is year round. Hence the dry wet vs dry wet snow (DW and DWS).

Retired: 05 MB 330i, 08 CS 135i, 17 EB M240i, 13 CB 135is, 16 ABM M4
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 12:50 AM   #25
Katkarot
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010MDX 2012135i

If you disagree and you seem to have experience with other tires that you think are better than the PSS, why don't you name specific brands and models?
Are you saying the star specs is better overall than the PSS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger_Extract View Post
Actually, the huge selling point of the Star Specs is that they work well in the rain compared to their competitors, that, and they also have a wide temperature range in which they can stick like glue.
Like I said, people here really like to sip the Michelin Kool-Aid. It's a great tire, that rides nicely on the freeway, but as I previously mentioned, would get out-handled by a great number of tires, many of which are also less expensive..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #26
amigo
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i AW,Coral red,Msport,09

Google car and driver 2012 tire test.
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test
Hard to argue with BLIND testing
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 09:51 AM   #27
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2010

I just put on a set of vmrs wrapped in Michelin PSS omg! Wow so much fun! No brainer
Mods:-Berkexhaust -alpinaB3flash -CobbAP -Cobb FMIC -ER charge pipe tialQ bov -M3 front sway bar -M3 subframe bushings -M3 front upper and lower control arms -M3 guide rods -M3 rear upper control arms -Mfactory LSD -defiv lockdown kit -TC Kline SA coilovers /camber plates- HP rear toe arms
Appreciate 0