BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-20-2011, 08:30 AM   #1
avadakedabra
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Sirius stuck on acquiring and only shows Categories

Hey everyone,

I wanted to start by saying yes I did do lots of searching on this issue but mine seems different. I have a 2009 128i which came with a year of Sirius free. For that year it worked flawlessly, never had a single issue with it not even once. When the year ended I didn't renew since I know Sirius has ridiculous rates (I'm in Canada) and figured I'd wait until they called me to get me back. For the longest time after it expired, going to Satellite Radio would show all the channels but they would just have a $$ beside their name and clicking it said to call Sirius.

I can't remember when it expired but it was quite awhile ago now. About a month or two ago I clicked Satellite radio for fun and I noticed that now it didn't show anything. The only option I had was "Category (All Channels" and clicking that would say "Categories - All Channels" and it would say acquiring.

I assumed this was because I didn't have service. A week ago I got a letter saying come back $20 for 5 months of service so I did. I went to the car and she told me to start it up etc, however it would only say the acquiring and the Categories thing. She had me turn off the car open the door for a min etc but nothing. I did lots of searching online and it seems a common issue but all the tricks people use to get it to work won't do anything for me. I tried turning it off with the door open, I tried putting the fob in not starting it, putting on my seatbelt then starting it etc, it never works. I had to drive an hour to the airport there and back a few days ago and it never once came on. Going to take it to the dealer next week but am I missing anything here? No one with this issue seems to mention anything about it not showing any stations like mine. I don't mind if I have to do a trick to make it work since I don't plan on keeping this over 5 months and would prefer not taking it in. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 08:54 AM   #2
Itsquick
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i SGM / Black

Garage List
2011 135i  [6.00]
1971 280SL  [0.00]
2008 M5  [0.00]
Have you logged in to your account online at Sirius and checked the Radio ESN? You must have the radio number? You can send a refresh signal right from the webpage once you verify your radio. It may take up to 1/2 hr to update the signal. Have the radio on and the car outside. You must have the radio tuned to Channel184 to receive the update. It can be totally frustrating that it is such a hassle to deal with the SAT Radio! Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 08:57 AM   #3
takenit2dmax
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Silver M-sport NAV

Canada here too. :-) The "acquiring signal" means the receiver is probably not activated. I had the same thing happen on my 09 135i. Call Sirrius back and have them reactivate the radio and make sure your car is on and has a clear line of sight to the sky... Should come back in 5 min or so.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 08:58 AM   #4
avadakedabra
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsquick View Post
Have you logged in to your account online at Sirius and checked the Radio ESN? You must have the radio number? You can send a refresh signal right from the webpage once you verify your radio. It may take up to 1/2 hr to update the signal. Have the radio on and the car outside. You must have the radio tuned to Channel184 to receive the update. It can be totally frustrating that it is such a hassle to deal with the SAT Radio! Good Luck!
I'll check the status online but doubt it will help. As mentioned when I go to satellite radio on the car it only says Category - All Channels, that's all that comes up on the screen with Acquiring in the top right corner. So it's impossible to put it on channel 184 since not a single channel is listed. Clicking Categories just shows "All Channels" and clicking that again just shows that I'm in Category - All Channels but doesn't list any channels under it...
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 09:48 AM   #5
avadakedabra
Registered
Rep

Hardly, Sirius sucks it's the same music on repeat all day which is why I don't subscribe but for for $4 a month it's not bad. I'm just trying to avoid bringing it into the dealer for a whole day fix when I have no intention of keeping Sirius after this promo ends. Will call them tomorrow and make an appointment.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 11:05 AM   #6
gopher777
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i

I actually ended up having the same problem after only having my car for two months. Tried all the tricks but nothing worked. Took it to the dealer & they had to replace my CC unit. Works perfect now.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 07:13 PM   #7
Tammer2009
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by avadakedabra View Post
Hardly, Sirius sucks it's the same music on repeat all day which is why I don't subscribe but for for $4 a month it's not bad. I'm just trying to avoid bringing it into the dealer for a whole day fix when I have no intention of keeping Sirius after this promo ends. Will call them tomorrow and make an appointment.
Any luck with this? I know it was a while back.
I just bought a used E90 and I signed up for their 3 months free and I have the same issue as you had.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 10:34 AM   #8
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

What ever happned with this issue? I have the same issue and looking for a fix. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 09:55 AM   #9
nwillien
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 E70, 2017 BMW 650I

2013 BMW X5 - Sirius Radio Stuck on Category

Guys, is there any fix for this?

My issues started when I simply switched from SiriusXM Canada to SiriusXM US as I was getting a better rate. Once switched, the car would not connect to the US or Canadian Satellite network. All other cars work seamlessly.

I have spent countless hours at the dealership (costly), upgraded software, and hours with Sirius XM, and to date, there is no resolution. In addition, the Radio ID is missing.

I bought at least 2 radios on eBay and installed them, I could see the radio ID, but it disappeared afterwards, and I had to return those radios. Back to the same message Category.

Anyonce can share any ideas to resolve this issue would be awesome.

Thanks in advance.

Willie
Appreciate 0