BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-08-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
Wescuddles
Captain
Rep
Drives: bsm 135i

Vrsf 7" intercooler question

I installed my intercooler this weekend and wow - great product. Gains aren't noticeable down low but up top (4000rpm +) it feels much more lively.

My question is in regards to the gap between the radiator and intercooler. I have a 1/4"-1/2" gap and to me it really looks awful... How can I get rid of this gap? I could shave the tabs down on the sides where the screws go thru but structurally that will effect the intercooler and how it attaches to the car... I have searched and had no luck finding a definite answer to this.

If I can't get it to fit higher unfortunately I think ill need to sell and buy a helix or another intercooler that sits higher and fills out the lower grill better.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 06:19 PM   #2
Giancarlo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 135

Can you post a pic? I have not installed an intercooler on mine yet, so I don't think i can be of much help, but with the pic and the answers I am sure it will help me decide what to get when I finally do.

Thanks and sorry if this is hijacking or not too helpfull.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #3
Wescuddles
Captain
Rep

No problem buddy. I'm out of town for work but getting my GF to take a pic later.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #4
135-CS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EVO8,EVO9,E90,E82

I installed mine last week and have that gap too!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 08:49 PM   #5
Wescuddles
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135-CS
I installed mine last week and have that gap too!
Well that's not what I wanted to here lol. I was hoping it was an install error. Well I guess I can put the lower grill back in and just forget about it or ill have to purchase a Wagner/Helix stepped intercooler.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #6
Wescuddles
Captain
Rep

Heres a picture - there's a noticeable gap when you're at ground level looking at the intercooler.

ps. Yes I know my bumper is scratched and has holes in it. Gotta love how dealers screw license plates directly into the bumper
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 10:51 PM   #7
Giancarlo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 135

Thanks, the screen that usually goes in front of the intercooler doesnt fit? I was thinking this would do a good job of hiding it.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 10:53 PM   #8
Wescuddles
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giancarlo View Post
Thanks, the screen that usually goes in front of the intercooler doesnt fit? I was thinking this would do a good job of hiding it.
It fits fine, I just removed it because I prefer the look.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 11:04 PM   #9
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Shoot me a picture of this gap. The relative mounting point to the top of the intercooler is the same as OEM, so if the OEM left a gap, this will also leave a gap although I don't recall seeing this gap on the last 135 we did the install on.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 11:17 PM   #10
Colt
Spoolin' & droolin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 6MT

My intercooler does the same....(not a VRSF)

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 11:49 PM   #11
Wescuddles
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
Shoot me a picture of this gap. The relative mounting point to the top of the intercooler is the same as OEM, so if the OEM left a gap, this will also leave a gap although I don't recall seeing this gap on the last 135 we did the install on.
The gap looks roughly the same as angerman's post above (ps thanks for the pic). The tabs for mounting are as tight to the car as they will go and screws are as tight as they will go. The thickness of the tabs is the only thing I can see effecting the height but only by 1/8" tops... I suppose this is just the way the intercooler will sit. If the mounting tabs were 1/2" lower on the intercooler it would fit perfectly snug to the radiator, but then the tabs that hook into the fan wouldn't fit. I'm positive it's not an install error as the tabs only fit one place and the screws only go so tight...

If it is the way it fits then ill just deal with it until I can get a stepped intercooler. Not knocking your product at all tiago I'm just not into it aesthetically if its going to sit this low below the radiator. Performance is excellent.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #12
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
If the tabs were any lower, these wouldn't fit the e90/e92 unfortunately.

Since the tabs are pretty beefy, they could be modified pretty easily with an angle grinder to allow a bit more space if they bother you. I'd be happy to compensate you for your efforts
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 09:31 AM   #13
Wescuddles
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF
If the tabs were any lower, these wouldn't fit the e90/e92 unfortunately.

Since the tabs are pretty beefy, they could be modified pretty easily with an angle grinder to allow a bit more space if they bother you. I'd be happy to compensate you for your efforts
Thanks tiago. Like I said not an issue with you or your product! Just not happy with how it sits in the grill. I am out of town until next weekend at which point ill pull my bumper off and take another peak at the tabs and see if they can be modified much.

Thanks for helping with this issue, in hindsight I should have contacted you directly with this issue, I was just curious if this was normal or not.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 10:09 AM   #14
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wescuddles View Post
Thanks tiago. Like I said not an issue with you or your product! Just not happy with how it sits in the grill. I am out of town until next weekend at which point ill pull my bumper off and take another peak at the tabs and see if they can be modified much.

Thanks for helping with this issue, in hindsight I should have contacted you directly with this issue, I was just curious if this was normal or not.
I can add a picture if need be, but mine sits more or less identically, as do several of the aftermarket intercoolers I’ve seen on E8/9x. It’s not an installation error, there’s just a natural gap between the two parts. It doesn’t bother me because the screen is still on, but I can see how it would be a bit of an eyesore with the intercooler showing. IMO it’s absolutely not worth the cost of having to get another intercooler, but that’s your call. Experiment and see what you can do with those tabs!

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #15
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The E92 has a bit of weather stripping the seal the upper part of the intercooler and the radiator. I'm not sure if it's missing on the 135 chassis or if I'm just not seeing it correctly.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 10:27 AM   #16
Wescuddles
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wescuddles View Post

I can add a picture if need be, but mine sits more or less identically, as do several of the aftermarket intercoolers Ive seen on E8/9x. Its not an installation error, theres just a natural gap between the two parts. It doesnt bother me because the screen is still on, but I can see how it would be a bit of an eyesore with the intercooler showing. IMO its absolutely not worth the cost of having to get another intercooler, but thats your call. Experiment and see what you can do with those tabs!
That's the response I was looking for. We've ruled out it being a vrsf issue so clearly it's just how the aftermarket non-stepped intercoolers sit on 135s. Ill re-install the grill and be happy with the performance gains
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #17
Wescuddles
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF
The E92 has a bit of weather stripping the seal the upper part of the intercooler and the radiator. I'm not sure if it's missing on the 135 chassis or if I'm just not seeing it correctly.
There is no weather stripping there on the e82.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 10:32 AM   #18
Vorsprung_CJB
Private
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

This this why some ICs have the extension on the top? To cover that gap?

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 10:46 AM   #19
Wescuddles
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorsprung_CJB

Exactly
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 11:08 PM   #20
Wescuddles
Captain
Rep

Upon further investigation into how other brands fit on the 135 I am undecided on if this is really a VRSF issue or not. I can definitely say the VRSF does not sit where the stock intercooler does as advertised.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 12:04 AM   #21
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Here's a picture of the AA posted above. Same results.

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 12:07 AM   #22
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorsprung_CJB View Post

The reason some intercoolers (Wagner/Cobb/Helix) have that extra area is to provide more volume for the intercooler. These intercoolers are generally around the same volume as our 7" but they tend to block a bit of flow to the radiator which may or may not have an effect on cooling.

The design idea isn't to clear the gap on the 1 series and it's not an aesthetic choice.
Appreciate 0