BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-26-2011, 01:42 AM   #1
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Post Oils (and fluids) ain't oils - fluid change review

I've been doing a few things to prep for the next track day with the BMW Club Qld and thought to share what's been going on.

The injector campaign work done yesterday by BBMW (I've seen people grumble about dealers, but they've always done well by me) and today Justin at Midas Tingalpa looked after some fluid changeovers for me.

Engine oil was replaced (I use Castrol Edge) as it was due for it's six monthly change, and the transmission oil was replaced with Redline Shockproof Lightweight oil. Attached PDF has the tech specs for those inclined to read them.

The change in shift feel is markedly different and very slick now, it's almost velvet smooth going between gears. The 1-2 notchiness has gone too, I've very impressed with this stuff, the operation of the shift is really quite sweet!

Brake fluid was also changed to RF 660 to suit higher temps at the track and titanium heat shields fitted - thanks TimMc for the wedding present!

For any SEQ MT drivers interested, Justin has enough Redline oil left over for another car. Do yourself and your transmission a favour by booking in the for oil change.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf SPGO TR 02_03.pdf (41.2 KB, 153 views)
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 03:19 AM   #2
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Wedding!!!!!????
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 03:26 AM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I thought Red Line reccomends to use their synthetic ATF in our manual trans. ???

I have always used Red Line D4-ATF in my past BMW's that cal for MTF-LT-2 trans oil. The 135i uses MTF-LT-3 or now MTF-LT-4 (2012 models call for MTF-LT-5 bc it is the same manual trans as in the 1M). I have also seen people post here that you can also use Red Line's D6-ATF as well.

So... how did you come to use Red Line's Shockproof oil in your car's manual trans?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 03:32 AM   #4
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Wedding!!!!!????
Yup three weeks ago. Got back from the honeymoon a couple of days ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I thought Red Line reccomends to use their synthetic ATF in our manual trans. ???

I have always used Red Line D4-ATF in my past BMW's that cal for MTF-LT-2 trans oil. The 135i uses MTF-LT-3 or now MTF-LT-4 (2012 models call for MTF-LT-5 bc it is the same manual trans as in the 1M). I have also seen people post here that you can also use Red Line's D6-ATF as well.

So... how did you come to use Red Line's Shockproof oil in your car's manual trans?
This is a synthetic oil, Dack. It was recommended by my mechanic, as the way it functions is that it is much thinner than the 90W gear oil (giving the smoother shifting) but with better protection. It's a "have your cake and eat it too" formula.

From the PDF-

The viscosity characteristics are significantly improved. Gear teeth need high viscosity at high temperatures to prevent metal-to-metal contact and a low viscosity when cold to reduce fluid friction. The
ShockProof™ chemistry significantly reduces the thinning effect of high-temperatures.

The LightWeight can be rated as a 75W140 Gear Oil, but has the lower internal fluid friction of an SAE 30 motor oil.

These ShockProof™ lubricants provide much greater viscosity in the thin layers between the gear teeth, but have very low internal fluid friction, which means very little power loss for the protection.

Last edited by MikeVictor; 08-26-2011 at 03:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 06:59 AM   #5
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Nice one Matt. I may have to talk to Justin about this though. I asked him about Redline but he used a Motul race spec oil in mine, I think? I'll check. My gearchange is not great when the car's cold. As I've mentioned before though, once the box is warm, my knob easily glides in & out of it.
Greetings from Toowoomba!
      08-26-2011, 07:27 AM   #6
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

What about winter? Will it work fine with Redline oil?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 07:55 AM   #7
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
Nice one Matt. I may have to talk to Justin about this though. I asked him about Redline but he used a Motul race spec oil in mine, I think? I'll check. My gearchange is not great when the car's cold. As I've mentioned before though, once the box is warm, my knob easily glides in & out of it.
Ah, Toowoomba this time of year is good for forced induction

If you've got your invoice from the service job it should have the oil used listed on it. He went and bought some specifically for this job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RimasRS View Post
What about winter? Will it work fine with Redline oil?
RimasRS, the Winter's where I live see average temperatures of around 10-20 deg C. It can get to low single digits overnight, but that's it, so with the engine oil and trans oil I run I don't have to cater for low temps like a lot of other places do and run Summer/ Winter configurations.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 08:44 AM   #8
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep
Drives: Jet Black '08 135i

I just ordered the 5L of BMW MTF-LT3 from Bavarian Auto so I will have a bunch left over if someone wants to purchase it from me. The car only takes 3.2 pints which is roughly 1.5 liters so there will be about 3.5 liters remaining.

The only reason I am wanting to sell the rest is because the Air Force is moving me to England at the end of the year and I cannot take it with me.

PM me if interested.
      08-26-2011, 04:38 PM   #9
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan77 View Post
I just ordered the 5L of BMW MTF-LT3 from Bavarian Auto so I will have a bunch left over if someone wants to purchase it from me. The car only takes 3.2 pints which is roughly 1.5 liters so there will be about 3.5 liters remaining.

The only reason I am wanting to sell the rest is because the Air Force is moving me to England at the end of the year and I cannot take it with me.

PM me if interested.

you're in the wrong sub-forum
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 07:40 PM   #10
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyv View Post
Yup three weeks ago. Got back from the
You must be brave, married a Chinese woman (I assumed).

Wondering how it is different to the 1M tranny fluid. The feel is much more slick, and the knob slides in and out much more smoother. Even though they are supposed to be the same box.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 08:43 PM   #11
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

Quote:
Yup three weeks ago. Got back from the honeymoon a couple of days ago.
Congrats mate! Wish you both the best of luck and all that good happiness stuff.
      08-27-2011, 02:35 AM   #12
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
You must be brave, married a Chinese woman (I assumed).

Wondering how it is different to the 1M tranny fluid. The feel is much more slick, and the knob slides in and out much more smoother. Even though they are supposed to be the same box.
I forgot to mention the congratulations too!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 08:08 AM   #13
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
This is the first thing I read and I have not stopped laughing. You bastard.

I also run redline, and after 1 track day, the knob still moves quite smoothly into different positions.

Matty congrats on tying the knot! Good luck trying to obtain funds for the car

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 09:22 AM   #14
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Anyone know where I can pick up Redline Oils? I'm after Redline Synthetic 75w90NS
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 10:07 PM   #15
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Ah, Toowoomba this time of year is good for forced induction
Not so good in the GF's Kluger unfortunately
Appreciate 0