BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-11-2010, 12:35 AM   #1
Tj303
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupe

Attempted break in... alarm recommendations?

Hi all,

Unfortunately some a$$hole decided to try and break into my car a few days ago whilst it was parked in my apartment's security carpark

It looks like a screwdriver has been used in an attempt to break the lock off my driver door handle... I found my lock on the ground in the carpark, and as you can kinda see from the photos below they left a couple of scratches around the lock itself in the process.

I don't know exactly what their motive was for breaking in, but my guess was that they were trying to steal the car entirely as (1) there is nothing of value stored inside my car (2) they did not damage anything else on the vehicle *touch wood*. I don't even know whether it's possible to break into any modern car like this, and am hoping that this is just the work of an amatuer.

I have since bought a Prolock for the steering wheel (i know it probably won't help too much, but better than nothing), and am thinking of installing an after market alarm system. Can anybody recommend a good alarm system and a good place for installation?

Cheers
Tj303

01-11-2010, 12:43 AM   #2
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
While this doesn't help in regard to the OP, I was talking to a roadside assistance mechanic who was helping my mate get the keys out of the boot of his Lexus GS300 after locking them in there.

He happened to mention that the 135 was one of the hardest cars around to get into at the moment.

In saying that, he said it'd take him about 15min instead of the 1min it took to get inside the Lexus...

Who knows about the break-in attempt for you, TJ? They could have been after a navman or loose change or who knows. Most people know prestige cars are hard to actually drive away if you can get inside.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 12:46 AM   #3
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Sorry to hear that, there's also an attempt on my 120d which is sitting outside at the moment, which just p*** me off, where my door handle and a few places are all scratched, and looks like they've tried from the window seal too.

I was going to keep it for another couple of months so my parents have a car to drive around when they are out here, but looks like I am going to take it to the dealer at my first opportunity and get rid of it. I have enough of the car - it must feel so unwanted and decided to play up.

Sometimes it's so sad that it's happening right were you live.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 12:50 AM   #4
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Sorry to hear TJ.
Get some alarm stickers. They do at least half the job for a fraction of the price.

I looked at ordering the BMW alarm when I purchased my car. I was talked out of it by the dealer who told me that no new BMW had been stolen for "x" number of years due to door deadlocking and ignition/steering imobilisation etc. I made them put DataDots on my car though, after I found out they're not standard fitment anymore - as they'd promised.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 01:03 AM   #5
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
Sorry to hear TJ.
Get some alarm stickers. They do at least half the job for a fraction of the price.

I looked at ordering the BMW alarm when I purchased my car. I was talked out of it by the dealer who told me that no new BMW had been stolen for "x" number of years due to door deadlocking and ignition/steering imobilisation etc. I made them put DataDots on my car though, after I found out they're not standard fitment anymore - as they'd promised.
Nice!!! Love the sticker tip!

Same here, when I contacted BMW Assist when my lovely Mrs decided it was a good idea to lock the keys in the boot, they said it's impossible to get into due to the deadlocking.

I even tested this by locking my girl in the car and she couldn't get out - literally. She could not get out as the rear sets aren't able to be folded from the inside to get into the boot!

I'd say go to your dealer and see how much the BMW Alarm is aftermarket - might be able to get a good deal
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 01:04 AM   #6
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Edit: winnar! http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Pair-of-GPS-G...item27a9406c3e
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 01:23 AM   #7
zenderm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 DY/2010 E92 M3

Sorry to hear TJ - There have been a couple of attempted break-ins
1996 E36 M3 Dakar Yellow - SOLD
2004 Honda Accord Euro - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 02:47 AM   #8
bobbynoway
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Since day 1, I booked myself in to get this alarm installed.
http://www.ryda.com.au/Meta-HPB5-1S-...1%20series.htm

The dealer at Trivett wanted $4000 for the the factory alarm to be retro-fitted! I just walked away and went with Ryda, paid $400 total at the time (1 year ago).
Has all the usual functions, works with the oem remote, remote window opening/closing (not sure if this featrure is standard), panic button, confirmation beeps etc.

Never had a problem, no glitchs, just works.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 03:01 AM   #9
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbynoway View Post
Since day 1, I booked myself in to get this alarm installed.
http://www.ryda.com.au/Meta-HPB5-1S-...1%20series.htm

The dealer at Trivett wanted $4000 for the the factory alarm to be retro-fitted! I just walked away and went with Ryda, paid $400 total at the time (1 year ago).
Has all the usual functions, works with the oem remote, remote window opening/closing (not sure if this featrure is standard), panic button, confirmation beeps etc.

Never had a problem, no glitchs, just works.
Yes, window and sunroof open/close is standard. Just hold the buttons!

$565 at Ryda. I'm going to go there next week. THat's a sweet deal. It'll also lower my insurance premium slightly!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 04:27 AM   #10
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
I made them put DataDots on my car though, after I found out they're not standard fitment anymore - as they'd promised.
Sorry to thread jack but since when do they not put DataDots on our cars. This sucks!!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 04:34 AM   #11
MickyD
(Damned or Belated)
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue 120D M Manual

they stopped a few years ago. My MINI (march 2004 build) had them, but I think it was not too long after that they stopped.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 04:46 AM   #12
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Sorry to hear TJ.. We had a similar experience in our appartments secure carpark over the Christmas break..

What these dickheads did was target cars which had the round suction (portable sat nav mounting bracket ) imprint on the windscreen. Instead of trying to break the locks as in your case, these halfwits just smashed the passenger side front windows to gain easy access to the glovebox in search of the portable navs..

So installing the alarm or visible stickers will just move them on to the next available vehicle..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 05:08 AM   #13
cargeek
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Old man's comfy car

Sorry about your car TJ. At least you still have the car and the damage is easily repairable. I'm not sure the BMW alarm would work as a deterrent. I left my front windows open but locked the car and when my wife went into the garage she set the alarm off. Only I didn't know I had a BMW alarm! The clown nose under the rear vision mirror flashes but there is no other indication the car has an alarm.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 05:33 AM   #14
JKAWB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 135i Black Sapphire

My car got broken into in a secure parking lot. All they did was smash out the window to steal a 1st generation iPod, but totally left my 1911 under the seat, thank god.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 06:08 AM   #15
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKAWB View Post
My car got broken into in a secure parking lot. All they did was smash out the window to steal a 1st generation iPod, but totally left my 1911 under the seat, thank god.
Unfortunately we're not allowed to keep Colt .45s anywhere in our cars. Not that it would've come in useful in this instance anyway.

I've had the passenger side window smashed out in my mum's old car at Parramatta Westfield level 3 2 years ago. I have no idea how no one spotted him since I was parked right in front of the shop entrances. It was the suction cup mark that was on the windscreen.

Sorry to hear about your situation TJ, but I believe that the prolock will help deter amateurs from even trying to break into your car if they were looking to steal the car itself.

My car has the factory alarm installed and I have too accidentally set it off after leaving the windows open and locking the doors. Frankly I was quite disappointed at the noise: it was just a high pitched beep (which sounded quite soft) rather than activating the car horn.

A bit offtopic but in reference to the deadlocking feature, for those with comfort access. Let's say you get carjacked. You get thrown out of the car with the key still in your pocket. What happens when you click the lock button as the perp takes off? Do you lock him inside with no reasonable means of escape? Windows are notoriously hard to smash with no tools.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 06:11 AM   #16
Tj303
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupe

Thanks for all your replies, i've just noticed tonight that 2 other 3 series BMW's in my building also had break-in attempts most likely on the same day as mine... one had a smashed rear window, the other also had the same lock damage. No other cars were targeted as ours are the only prestige cars in the carpark. Looks like a lot of you guys also have had experiences with break-ins.

I will probably check out that Ryda deal, looks good with the full integration with OEM remote. Might use some stickers too!

Edit: By the way, i also have very recently started to mount my phone in the car using a suction cap mount... i'm not sure if this would have made a difference if i hadn't used it as they appeared to have just targeted the prestige cars anyway.
      01-11-2010, 06:13 AM   #17
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Sorry to thread jack but since when do they not put DataDots on our cars. This sucks!!
I think they stopped in early 2008?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 06:18 AM   #18
cargeek
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Old man's comfy car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef Beef View Post
A bit offtopic but in reference to the deadlocking feature, for those with comfort access. Let's say you get carjacked. You get thrown out of the car with the key still in your pocket. What happens when you click the lock button as the perp takes off? Do you lock him inside with no reasonable means of escape? Windows are notoriously hard to smash with no tools.
I have discovered they could drive the car until it runs out of fuel so they are not likely to be nearby trying to get out.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 07:35 AM   #19
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargeek View Post
I have discovered they could drive the car until it runs out of fuel so they are not likely to be nearby trying to get out.
However the likelihood (and STUPIDITY) of driving with your doors unlocked in a 1-series is very low considering the auto-lock feature.

So being carjacked at traffic lights/stopped is near impossible unless, by choice, you unlock the car - regardless of CA or non CA.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 07:41 AM   #20
RadiuM
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i, 97 GTR VSpec

well, I found out in my car the other day. (no comfort access).

Start the car.
Stop it.
Take the keys and throw them far far away.
Start the car.
WTF?

I haven't tested this any further properly but I think once you open the door you then cannot do it again.
      01-11-2010, 07:49 AM   #21
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

I tried it with the 120D and that didn't work when it was posted earlier.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 08:07 AM   #22
RadiuM
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i, 97 GTR VSpec

after a search, others have noticed it to. Perhaps its a 'feature' which I think is crap because your car is running without the damn key! Might have to re-read the manual againt to see if its in there.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328059