BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-16-2008, 10:00 AM   #23
jbenington86
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i, 2017 Tundra

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
2008 128i  [0.00]
i guess we shall see if it hurts BMW when we see how many sell.... its not about one mans opinion is all about numbers..... let people mad mouth saying it looks ugly but if BMW is rackin in the cash they dont care what he thinks
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 10:03 AM   #24
Esmallstii
Systematic Chaos
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

I'll admit,..the 1ers looks did take a little getting used to.
I didnt like the first pics I saw of it at all. (Sedona red-)
Sorry Sedona owners,..just my opinion. But the pics grew on me a little.
THEN,..(Sound the trumpets) I saw it in person!:wub:
LOVE at first(sort of) sight! Now my little BSM coupe is sitting in my garage, and I love it. Squatty & agressive looking! The fact that is is a bit different is what makes it even more appealing.
BSM/Coral red/Sp pkg/Cft access/Htd seats/BMW Performance Pedals, Spoiler, & Rotors/18" VMR V710's/Hankook Ventus/Cool Carbon Pads ."The 135i's engine sound is so ferocious and bittersweet, so carnal and wicked, somebody ought to name a heavy-metal band after it: Velvet Chain Saw."
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 10:06 AM   #25
lib
Major
Rep
Drives: <This space for rent>

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraymond View Post
Dogging? I love the 128 - stating it's cheaper is dogging? :bs:
It's the phrase "a cheap BMW" that irks a lot of people. They think you're disparaging it.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 10:10 AM   #26
jbenington86
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
2008 128i  [0.00]
exactly
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 10:12 AM   #27
jraymond
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i SGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lib View Post
It's the phrase "a cheap BMW" that irks a lot of people. They think you're disparaging it.
To bad I didn't say "a cheap BMW" huh?

Funny how a statement of fact can get people all worked up.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 10:13 AM   #28
jbenington86
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
2008 128i  [0.00]
its ok 128i will feel like a race car to me.... 138hp to 230hp pretty big jump
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 10:24 AM   #29
jraymond
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i SGM

I have a moment about once a day that wishes I didn't have a TT under the hood. With the driving I do I probably do not get as much use out of it as intended.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 10:37 AM   #30
Bozmo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

I don't think BMW has changed it's direction, but simply, the definition of luxury was different back in the 80s. A car with the luxury in the 80s would be called too raw in todays market.

What do people expect? Luxury like Bently that looked like Ferraris but also tracks like a GT3, die hard as Civics, weighted like go-Karts with gadgets like the Batmobile and cost under 30k?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 10:42 AM   #31
zbladejr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Time, then, to cue the 1-Series, a car that has been waiting in the wings since it went on sale in Europe in 2004. Starting a few hundred bucks shy of $30,000, the 1-Series moves BMW back below that important psychological price point, though to get into the top-of-the-line 135i you'll still head back over 35 grand. If you were hoping, like me, that the 1-Series might be a truly economical new BMW with a price firmly in the 20s, well, I suppose that's what the used market is for.

This guy is a loser - typical review that wants his cake and eat it too. If you really wanted a cheaper BMW you could have had one - it's called the 128i.

I love how these subjective reviews whine and moan about a price but do not mention that the 135i is priced very competively. I guess BMW should have sold the 135i for 32k so we could all be standing in line waiting for one.
You got it. Note to every automotive reviewer 'expert' out there: Pricing is critical to BMW operations. BMW generally gets a premium. Perhaps these writers should just try to get a job as a pricing analyst at BMW. I could see the interview now "If you priced it lower, you would sell so many more....it's elementary really...". And then the response "...okay, well thank you for coming in today....good luck with your other opportunities". Pricing down is never a good idea for a premium brand. Those that can't afford it, will aspire. That's the idea of premium.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 10:53 AM   #32
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Black 135i

Ban the bloody cup holder! It's a car not a caf'e!!!
      05-16-2008, 10:59 AM   #33
The Chad
Private
Rep
Drives: Honda S2000

When did editorial reviews of cars become required to be unbiased, or like every car that comes along? Jeez.

He points out that the sucky dollar has raised BMW prices, and longs for the E36 enthusiasts days. How many posts have I seen on here complaining that BMW was touting the car as the 2002 redux, but then was too heavy and too loaded with gadgets? How many on here long for a stripper model of this car?

I don't see anything wrong with those statements. And as for commenting on the looks, the 1-Series is not the 3-Series. Everyone can come around on the looks of the 3, because it doesn't really take any design chances. Jeremy Clarkson and Richard Hammond couldn't even bring themselves to put the new 3 Series on the Cool Wall because no one was bothered to actually design the car one way or another.

What I gathered from this article is...

1. The dollar is terrible.
2. The car is fast.
3. The car doesn't have enough cupholders.
4. The car isn't that good looking in his opinion.

WSJ is read by a lot of people. Common people, not enthusiasts. If I were looking for the Bimmer, and then read this review, I'd think to myself "I better see one in person before I make a decision." If this review prevents some people who aren't enthusiasts from buy this car, then good. That'll clear up allocation for when I'm ready to order my 1.

And finally, I wish you guys would take this into consideration when reading reviews. This car is designed for people who "get it". If you don't "get it", then this car probably doesn't make any sense. It's a polarizing car in that sense.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 11:04 AM   #34
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
Can someone PLEASE explain why you Americans place such an importance in bl**dy cup holders? FFS...
Not me mate....I hate the f'ing things...
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 11:09 AM   #35
stampchez
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

You have to remember how serious Americans are about their cup holders. It is more important to the average buyer than fuel economy.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/02/20/r...-fuel-economy/
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 11:18 AM   #36
1er junkie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chad View Post
When did editorial reviews of cars become required to be unbiased, or like every car that comes along? Jeez.

He points out that the sucky dollar has raised BMW prices, and longs for the E36 enthusiasts days. How many posts have I seen on here complaining that BMW was touting the car as the 2002 redux, but then was too heavy and too loaded with gadgets? How many on here long for a stripper model of this car?

I don't see anything wrong with those statements. And as for commenting on the looks, the 1-Series is not the 3-Series. Everyone can come around on the looks of the 3, because it doesn't really take any design chances. Jeremy Clarkson and Richard Hammond couldn't even bring themselves to put the new 3 Series on the Cool Wall because no one was bothered to actually design the car one way or another.

What I gathered from this article is...

1. The dollar is terrible.
2. The car is fast.
3. The car doesn't have enough cupholders.
4. The car isn't that good looking in his opinion.

WSJ is read by a lot of people. Common people, not enthusiasts. If I were looking for the Bimmer, and then read this review, I'd think to myself "I better see one in person before I make a decision." If this review prevents some people who aren't enthusiasts from buy this car, then good. That'll clear up allocation for when I'm ready to order my 1.

And finally, I wish you guys would take this into consideration when reading reviews. This car is designed for people who "get it". If you don't "get it", then this car probably doesn't make any sense. It's a polarizing car in that sense.
Exactly, the more people that dont like them, the more my 1 series will stand out. Muhahaha.

My other point: I think he drives an El camino with a nextel sucks bumper sticker on the back. Hes just angry at life, dont blame the article, blame his company for not paying him enough
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 11:21 AM   #37
lib
Major
Rep
Drives: <This space for rent>

Quote:
To bad I didn't say "a cheap BMW" huh?

Funny how a statement of fact can get people all worked up.
It may not be rational but some people will still take offense regardless of whatever suffix you add.

It's pretty much impossible to give an opinion on anything without offending at least one person. Thankfully we know what you mean
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 11:24 AM   #38
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

What a pathetic review of an automobile. Furniture, maybe... but automobile?... no way!

So much mediocre discussion about the car's performance, I highly doubt that the author really drove the car at any length or pushed it very hard.

He says that 20 mpg is pathetic!! Compare that 20 mpg to many cars today, and while it's not awesome, it's no where near pathetic!

So much of the review is not about the car, but about his own personal impressions. Absolutely horrible. It's amazing to me just how some people can get a job and do it so poorly. I always thought that weathermen could make the most mistakes and still come to work the next day... but after reading this "review", I guess there are journalists that can be total idiots and still have a job.
      05-16-2008, 11:28 AM   #39
jbenington86
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
2008 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
How many on here long for a stripper model of this car?
I bought the stripper model of the car....The more gadgets you have on the car the more things that can go wrong.....plus I dont wanna fool around with little things in the car I wanna drive it.... not paying attention to the road gets you into accidents
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 12:05 PM   #40
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmallstii View Post
I'll admit,..the 1ers looks did take a little getting used to.
I didnt like the first pics I saw of it at all. (Sedona red-)
Sorry Sedona owners,..just my opinion. But the pics grew on me a little.
THEN,..(Sound the trumpets) I saw it in person!:wub:
LOVE at first(sort of) sight! Now my little BSM coupe is sitting in my garage, and I love it. Squatty & agressive looking! The fact that is is a bit different is what makes it even more appealing.
+1. wow you just told my story. except the "little bsm" part. Mine's TiAg and I just don't think of the car "little."

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 12:13 PM   #41
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
+1 i hope less people buy the car and it stays more exclusive. and I love how the author said the "3 coupe is stunning" because i agree the 3 coupe looks pretty good (except for a little too rounded and bulbatious nose). But the author had to throw in "coupe" because the 3 sedan just isn't.

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 12:24 PM   #42
whya1?
Banned
Rep
Drives:

You know just because he doesn't write a positive review doesn't mean he isn't right. The cup holder design IS poor and reeks of cost savings. 90% of people will use a cupholder and by putting it in a uncomfortable position it severly restricts its use. This isn't a Lotus or Caterham that is purely a drivers car. It is a daily driver for most and most use a cupholder. Hence, it is a valid beef with the car. I don't particularly care about the cupholders but i see his point.

The author also knows his audience doesn't care about how many cars are sold or the compression rate of the engine or what it's skidpad numbers are. It is the Wall St journal so people are only interested in if it is fast (yes), practical (no), what kind of mileage (mediocre) and if it looks good (no). If he was writing for a car mag or for a 1 series forum i am sure his content would change.

But speaking of looks has any magazine besides one associated with BMW put out a positive review on its looks? At some point when EVERYONE points out that the car is ugly, perhaps it is ugly.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 12:27 PM   #43
whya1?
Banned
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwzone View Post
Exactly - have the dope list for us any other mass market production 4 seater car that gets 20mpg while delivering a 13 sec 1/4 mile time.
It really isn't a 4 seater, that was his argument. It is more of a 2 seater with a shelf. Highway mileage is good but pure city driving mileage is terrible. The 135 i looked at had a recorded mileage in it's computer of 12mpg. Sure, most of that was harder driving but 12? That is why I am looking at a 128. For me it is a much more usable power band. Just have to get over the looks.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 12:28 PM   #44
whya1?
Banned
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenington86 View Post
I bought the stripper model of the car....The more gadgets you have on the car the more things that can go wrong.....plus I dont wanna fool around with little things in the car I wanna drive it.... not paying attention to the road gets you into accidents
Wow, how did you find one so stripped? I am looking for something similar since i plan on stripping the interior out anyway and putting in a race seat for track use. Did you order it?
Appreciate 0