E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > So what is so important about breaking in the engine

01-23-2006, 12:28 PM   #1
HoosBMW
A ROOM WITH A MOOSE!
United_States
Rep
Drives: waiting on the replacement

Garage List
2007 335I  [0.00]
2006 330I  [0.00]
So what is so important about breaking in the engine

I am no trying to be an a** here but what is so important about breaking the engine in... I have heard so many things, but can any of you give me a definitive answer on the topic....

Thanks so much guys....i really appriciate all your help and advise....
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2006, 12:31 PM   #2
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

The idea is to insure minimial oil consumption/engine wear, consistant performance, through out the life of the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2006, 12:34 PM   #3
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Not to be an ass...........really. Im a nice guy.

please for christ's sake, do a SEARCH.
There is search function for a reason. This topic has been covered.

If you want detailed advice, here is a solution.
1. www.google.com
2. Type in, "break-in"
3. Go through the articles, start reading.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2006, 02:10 PM   #4
HoosBMW
A ROOM WITH A MOOSE!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335I  [0.00]
2006 330I  [0.00]
cool thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2006, 02:37 PM   #5
kobechrome
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh
Not to be an ass...........really. Im a nice guy.

please for christ's sake, do a SEARCH.
There is search function for a reason. This topic has been covered.

If you want detailed advice, here is a solution.
1. www.google.com
2. Type in, "break-in"
3. Go through the articles, start reading.
Well then why are you being an a**?

There are plenty of newbies here who still need legitimate help after doing a search. I don't think we need to police this site like the Gestapo unless there are truly, offensive unnecessary threads.

You don't have to read the duplicate threads if it really bothers you that much. Some old threads have hundreds of responses and it's too tedious to search through them. If you post a quick starter thread many ppl are kind enough to get you an answer within minutes.

Just my thoughts...
      01-23-2006, 03:06 PM   #6
Lost Rider
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: R NineT, X1

Garage List
2014 BMW R NineT  [0.00]
2015 X1 xdrive  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobechrome

There are plenty of newbies here who still need legitimate help after doing a search. I don't think we need to police this site like the Gestapo unless there are truly, offensive unnecessary threads.

You don't have to read the duplicate threads if it really bothers you that much. Some old threads have hundreds of responses and it's too tedious to search through them. If you post a quick starter thread many ppl are kind enough to get you an answer within minutes.

Just my thoughts...

I completely agree.
There's quite a few threads that go way off topic, and are hard to sort out.

I'm also interested in peoples break-in experience, and thoughts on the topic.
Has anyone here not followed the break in procedure exactly?

Be honest!!!!

Has anyone that didn't follow the procedure had any problems that could be related? Performance problems??

I understand that an engine needs to have the moving parts worn it gently, but are we talking about reduced performance immediately, or are we talking about the overall life of the engine being diminished.
I'm not getting any kind of discount on my 1st year lease. I'm paying for 12,000 miles , but it's really only 11,000 miles of real BMW performance.
Maybe I'm going a little too far with that, but the thought did cross my mind.

Last edited by Lost Rider; 01-23-2006 at 05:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2006, 03:13 PM   #7
SRT
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 Series

As I understand it, as well as the stuff mentioned above, if the break-in period is not done properly, then fuel economy, especially on more powerful vehicles, will be effected - it can basically turn the car into a gas-guzzler
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2006, 03:59 PM   #8
ben1364
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330iA

The following has appeared several times but is still relevant. Read the Owners' Manual! This is serious advice as your car is capable of many things unheard of with many past vehicles. You will learn about the car and it's capabilities as well as how to maintain it for maximum service life and pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2006, 04:00 PM   #9
kobechrome
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown
I completely agree.
There's quite a few threads that go way off topic, and are hard to sort out.

I'm also interested in peoples break-in experience, and thoughts on the topic.
Has anyone here not followed the break in procedure exactly?

Be honest!!!!

Has anyone that didn't follow the procedure had any problems that could be related? Performance problems??

I understand that an engine needs to have the moving parts worn it gently, but are we talking about reduced performance immediately, or are we talking about the overall life of the engine being diminished.
If it means that the engine will only run 100,000 miles before having problems instead on 150,000, then I could care less.
I'm not getting any kind of discount on my 1st year lease. I'm paying for 12,000 miles , but it's really only 11,000 miles of real BMW performance.
Maybe I'm going a little too far here, but the thought did cross my mind.
I've had my car for 3 days and I've followed the break-in prcedures according to the owner's manual thus far. Below 100mph, below 4000RPM for 1200 miles, easy on the brakes for 300 miles, etc...

I bought my car so I figured suffering for 3-4 weeks, I can handle rather than take any risks.... but you're right. Everyone seems to have different opinions on the matter. I figure if the maker of the car themselves tells me to do it though, I'll listen.
      01-23-2006, 04:40 PM   #10
Lost Rider
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW R NineT  [0.00]
2015 X1 xdrive  [9.00]
I agree that people should follow the Owner Manual, and I have no problem at all with doing the break-in procedure and following the requirements to the letter.
Just trying to join in on a conversation on a topic I'm interested in. Maybe hear some other people opinions, ya know, a FORUM.
Much more entertaining than reading THE manual. ( that I don't even have a hard copy of yet )
The good news is that it will take me less than a week to break in my new car, by the time I get home from the PCD location, the break-in will almost be done.
      01-23-2006, 04:46 PM   #11
HoosBMW
A ROOM WITH A MOOSE!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335I  [0.00]
2006 330I  [0.00]
Kobechrome and Chitown....thanks a lot for understanding the new guy....i appriciate your help and support as for the other guy...i was being nice by not responding...but since the door is open now, why do you read the post if you know its been said before? Are that bored that you must be condisending toward the newbies? Pathetic....
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2006, 06:45 PM   #12
Major
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 745li / cls 55

lots of articles on the web... primarily to get the components to seal properly together, to ensure long life and more performance
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2006, 06:52 PM   #13
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobechrome

Just my thoughts...
I meant to say, iam not "usually" an ass. hows that?
Yes, there are newbies, and I was once a newb also.
Thread like this, its obvious the starter didn't do a search.

Topic as broad as this(not e90 specific), answers can be found on the web also.
Most of the people these days are so goddamn lazy, they decide not to do any work by themselves, just get online, type some words, and BAM. wait for answers to come. What a way to create unnecessary traffic in this site, and wasting space.

Yeah, I don't have to read it, then again, it bugs me, and it also probably bothers other senior members who have been through the beginning of E90POST. And I see similar topic threads getting created everyday, and our site owners(jason,mark) are working their asses off to get this site organized. Lets at least try to help them.

Old threads do have alot of responses, but just because you don't want to go through it, you don't even give it a try? Say that to a college professor, "Mr.Bob, I wanted to finish this homework, but there were too many confusing articles regarding this topic so I decided now to do it.". Result? Kiss your grade good bye.

Not that I am referring to any of you, but attitude like this "people will give me answers anyway" is what makes forum browsing so damn annoying, and ruins forum culture. Remember, you are not the only one in this site. There are kazillion members. Lets respect each other, and at least do a search before you ask a question(in this forum or outside the forum).

Again, don't take my post offensively, I once done that, so I totally understand. but now that I learned my lesson, I am trying to pass it on to others.

After all, we all love each other, right?

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :

Last edited by lux.sh; 01-23-2006 at 07:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2006, 06:59 PM   #14
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
And to represent the "nice side" of me, I did a quick search on this site and came up with following links.

Thanks to SOCOM for the links in the original thread.
http://webpages.charter.net/rcfu/Hel.../EngBrkIn.html
http://www.idavette.net/hib/eng-brkn.htm
http://www.cessna.org/benefits/articles/breakin.html
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htmd

Good simple read for beginners regarding why/how/what break-in from unofficialbmw.com
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/all/eng...ak_in_faq.html

Also check out this thread.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...light=break-in

Hope this helps. Remember, all this is found in just this site alone.

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2006, 07:09 PM   #15
HoosBMW
A ROOM WITH A MOOSE!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335I  [0.00]
2006 330I  [0.00]
Hey thanks a lot man....you are totally right...from now I will do an extensive search on the forum before i post random shite.....i apprieciate your honesty and respect what you had to say....so thanks again....
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2006, 07:17 PM   #16
Lost Rider
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW R NineT  [0.00]
2015 X1 xdrive  [9.00]
One big happy BMW family.
      01-23-2006, 07:24 PM   #17
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosBMW
Hey thanks a lot man....you are totally right...from now I will do an extensive search on the forum before i post random shite.....i apprieciate your honesty and respect what you had to say....so thanks again....

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2006, 08:07 PM   #18
kobechrome
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh
I meant to say, iam not "usually" an ass. hows that?
Yes, there are newbies, and I was once a newb also.
Thread like this, its obvious the starter didn't do a search.

Topic as broad as this(not e90 specific), answers can be found on the web also.
Most of the people these days are so goddamn lazy, they decide not to do any work by themselves, just get online, type some words, and BAM. wait for answers to come. What a way to create unnecessary traffic in this site, and wasting space.

Yeah, I don't have to read it, then again, it bugs me, and it also probably bothers other senior members who have been through the beginning of E90POST. And I see similar topic threads getting created everyday, and our site owners(jason,mark) are working their asses off to get this site organized. Lets at least try to help them.

Old threads do have alot of responses, but just because you don't want to go through it, you don't even give it a try? Say that to a college professor, "Mr.Bob, I wanted to finish this homework, but there were too many confusing articles regarding this topic so I decided now to do it.". Result? Kiss your grade good bye.

Not that I am referring to any of you, but attitude like this "people will give me answers anyway" is what makes forum browsing so damn annoying, and ruins forum culture. Remember, you are not the only one in this site. There are kazillion members. Lets respect each other, and at least do a search before you ask a question(in this forum or outside the forum).

Again, don't take my post offensively, I once done that, so I totally understand. but now that I learned my lesson, I am trying to pass it on to others.

After all, we all love each other, right?
I feel the love in this forum

Your comments and points are well-taken With homework in college though - I would fail the test. Here, ppl may just flame you at worst The consequences determine the laziness in many cases.

I'm in agreement that searches should happen as a first step

In the end - we're all just trying to reach our goal of driving a
      01-24-2006, 12:06 AM   #19
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

It is a nice feeling when I read a post in response to mine that has helped someone.

Great job lux.sh with those links!!!
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2006, 02:44 AM   #20
rss
Private
Rep
Drives: 320dSE Touring E91

thanks for the links to other articles. However, I'm still as confused as before!

I remember on much older vehicles that it was much more important to break them in as obviously engineering wasn't as precise as it is now.

If I recall, the break in periods of my new car are not too disimilar to a car I purchased 20 years ago? How can that be given the above!

What I also find confusing is some of those articles talk about changing oil soon after new to remove the particles, yet my service indicator on my E91 says next service due in 19,000 miles, and that is just the first oil change!

Surely it can't be good for the particles to be swimming around for that distance/time ?

A chap on another site told me that BMW for example test all engines (hard) on the production line before they are put into the cars. Are these tests the actual break-in procedure for the engine?

He also mentioned that the break-in described in our car manuals really is more to do with the transmission rather than the engine and other things like brakes etc.

Sorry for yet more questions!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2006, 03:21 AM   #21
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rss
What I also find confusing is some of those articles talk about changing oil soon after new to remove the particles, yet my service indicator on my E91 says next service due in 19,000 miles, and that is just the first oil change!

Surely it can't be good for the particles to be swimming around for that distance/time ?
This still many people questions in this board. I also question it myself.
It has been proven by a member through professional oil analysis, that metal particles are found, and materials found in the oil were extremely higher than usual. What I do know is, BMW engineers are bunch of geniuses, and they know what they are doing. When they say first oil change is good for 15,000 miles, I just trust them. Even though, I will probably get my first oil changed around 5~7k miles. I really want to hear what the BMW engineers say about this "15000 mile oil change interval" issue.

Quote:
A chap on another site told me that BMW for example test all engines (hard) on the production line before they are put into the cars. Are these tests the actual break-in procedure for the engine?
Those would be preliminary tests, I doubt they would go through high mileage engine testing. It probably is just to see if the engine works functionally, and in correct mechanical forms. As for "recommanded" break-in procedure, I would say its maximum precaution procedure for maximum life expectancy of the engine and other various important parts. Hey, it can't hurt to drive the car for a little smoothly, let everything get "really" warmed up and loosen up before you open them up. This principle will apply to anything no matter what as long as cars/engines/parts are built with moving metal parts.

Quote:
He also mentioned that the break-in described in our car manuals really is more to do with the transmission rather than the engine and other things like brakes etc.
It does have alot to do with transmission, brakes, and will also involve other moving parts(many metal to metal, imo). Parts like transmission which consists of so many parts can be real sensitive to proper break-in procedure in the beginning. Vehicles equipped with Manual transmission(which I heard break-in procedure for auto/manual is same. Other japanese cars i've driven had different break-in period for manual vs auto) are less sensitive, simply due to less parts being involved in manual transmission(then again, you have to worry about clutch break-in) than auto transmission. Brakes can be REAL sensitive to break-in procedure, improperly maintained brake pads can show premature wear very soon. This is a VERY common problem, and thats why the enthuasists who knows about automobiles are very careful regarding proper brake system break-in procedure. Especially those who are highly involved in track scene. While there are arguements that break-in procedures for brakes aren't needed, majority still does what manufacturers recommand.

I understand your curiosity regarding this, and in my opinion, this is bottom line(for me).

It won't hurt. If anything, BMW engineers know TONS more than us(i mean look at how they make our BMWs in the DVD), and when they say its still required for BMWs made in 2006, that means it is needed.

Simple as that.

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2006, 04:04 AM   #22
///E90pilot
Captian
Rep
Drives: '06 325i

It is necessary to bed-in the brakes on our new E90s as part of the break-in? I did it on my E46 when I installed some Axxis brake pads (which subsequently cost me $900), but that's the only time I've done it.
Appreciate 0