BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-25-2008, 02:39 PM   #1
SCZ4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F11 525d M Sport & Z4M

Test Drove 135i today

Hi guys,

Been visiting this website for the last 4 months or so, my dealer finally managed to get a 135i demo for me, I couldn't wait, so I popped along first thing this morning.

I had the car for just under an hour and took it for a blast along some familiar country roads. Rather than blabbing along for the next 10 minutes I'll bullet point my "findings":

+ Very quick, a little turbo lag but acceptable, pulls like a train top end, great low down grunt.
+ Great gear ratios, 70mph in 2nd
+ Handling is great, good turn in and very sharp responses, quick steering rack, carries the speed round the corners very well
+ Good ride quality, much better than my Z4 was on run flats.
+ Great interior, nice place to be. Great seating position, fantastic chunky steering wheel.
+ Hides its weight very well

- Engine doesn't sound all that good (all things relative of course)
- More road noise than I expected
- Didn't like the iDrive at all.

Overall conclusion, awesome car, but overall it just doesn't stir the soul, doesn't have the "personality or character" of other cars I've owned. You don't get that special feeling when you step inside.

So my plan, well I currently own a Supercharged BMW Z4 (370bhp) and a E36 M3 Evo for weekends and track days. I had planned to sell both, but now I am going to keep the M3 and get a boring 320d or 325d touring for lugging my mountain bike around. That said perhaps in 3 or 4 years time a 135i will be on my driveway, but at £30k it just doesn't bring have that high smiles per £.

Hope I haven't offended anyone on here, you're very lucky to own a 135i, it's just my opinion. I am off to E90post.com

All the best.

G
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2008, 02:42 PM   #2
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Stick with me, stay low, and we'll get out of this alive ;-)
      10-25-2008, 02:45 PM   #3
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Of course, you could fix all of the short comings you found pretty easily.
Upgrade the exhaust
Toss the run flats
Leave out the I-drive
Why settle for boring at all?
      10-25-2008, 03:08 PM   #4
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Well the iDrive is easy to fix, don't order it. ; -)

Good review and it tracks with what others, like Balls, have said. This isn't a car for everyone - I had some very specific requirements in place that this car covered, so for my purposes it worked. I guess that's why BMW makes more than one type car. ; -)
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2008, 05:41 PM   #5
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

I agree, if you don't like it, you don't have to get it. Also you will save some $$$.

Engine noise? Most on here actually love the sound. They say they rather listen to engine "noise" than music. As for I, it depends on my mood.

Road noise is the tires? I was driving a Corolla so I do hate the feeling every bump.

I have been driving the1 for 6 months, and eventhough lots of little issues, they don't phase me at all. I am still smiling literally!

I am thinking those who have been driving such nice cars before the 1, the change won't be so amazing but many seem to still be very happy with it.

It's always nice to haven another happy 1addict here, and even the ones that complain, they too add to the scene.

EspressoBoy
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2008, 01:50 PM   #6
SCZ4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F11 525d M Sport & Z4M

Follow up from yesterday's comments.

I am still getting over the performance of the car, really was quick car and how did I forget to mention how ferocious the brakes were.

Found out today a colleague of a friend has a 335i with the performance exhaust, he said is transformed the car from being a "a quick cruiser" to something much more exciting which begs for it to be driven harder and harder. I'll hopefully get a ride in it this week. Perhaps it'll change my mind. We'll see. I've watched loads of video's but I all from the outside, no in the cabin. That and an air filter and remap and she'd be a beast I am sure of it. I'll concentrate on selling the Z4 and take it from there.

Graeme
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2008, 01:58 PM   #7
lannypoffo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Dodge Charger SRT8

The brakes are probably the most shocking thing I experienced when I first got my 1. They are almost too good. I would look like an idiot pressing them too hard the first couple days. Not to mention someone could easily rear end you if you use those brakes to their capacity. I had never felt brakes like this aside from my friends 2004 R32 when he first got it. The brake performance on the VW R32 was very similar to my 135i. It really makes you feel your seat belts for once.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2008, 04:36 PM   #8
imported_Sinner
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannypoffo View Post
The brakes are probably the most shocking thing I experienced when I first got my 1. They are almost too good. I would look like an idiot pressing them too hard the first couple days. Not to mention someone could easily rear end you if you use those brakes to their capacity. I had never felt brakes like this aside from my friends 2004 R32 when he first got it. The brake performance on the VW R32 was very similar to my 135i. It really makes you feel your seat belts for once.
LOL, I did that in the dealer's lot when I test drove the 1. Felt like a douche.
Appreciate 0