BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-28-2009, 06:09 PM   #1
4wheelcycle
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2018 X2 M Sport

How does your One handle in the snow?

For those of you who have put dedicated winter tires on your Ones, and who have previously driven other cars in the snow, how do you think your One handles compared to your previous cars?

I previously drove my rear wheel drive S2000 for five winters in New Hampshire with Blizzak WS 50s and 60s. My 135i has WS 60s from the Tire Rack and my sense is that it feels slightly less secure in the snow compared to my S2000 with the same tires.

It is hard to be sure because every snowfall is different. Cold, dry snow allows pretty good grip, while it is almost impossible for any car or tire to get a good grip on wet, greasy snow over ice.

However, I have now driven my 135i in six or eight different snow conditions and my sense is that the rear end is a little bit looser on acceleration and it does not get as good a grip on the fairly steep uphill road sections around my house, including my driveway.

I have always gotten where I need to go, but I'm pretty sure there's a difference compared to my S2000. Please note, I always turn the DSC off and drive with DTC-only in the snow.

I have thought of three reasons, all fairly minor, why the 135i may not do as well as the S2000. First, and most obvious, the 135i as a ton more low end torque that the S2000, which may make its rear end seem looser on acceleration. However, I am careful to limit my heavy foot in snow to minimize any effect of the 135i's greater low end torque.

Second, the 135i has a higher center of gravity that the S2000. I don't know how much higher the CoG may actually be, or whether this might really have any effect.

Third, the 135i may not have as good a front to back weight distribution as the S2000. Again, they are both pretty close to 50/50, so it doesn't seem like this should be a material factor.

I would be very interested in hearing other peoples' impressions of their winter-tired Ones in the snow.

I am wondering if an extra 100 lbs. of winter weight in the back of my 135i might help in the snow. During the 1980s my rear wheel drive Fiero V6 did great in the snow with only all season tires!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 06:16 PM   #2
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep
Drives: Jet Black '08 135i

I am thinking that all of the low-end torque that we enjoy in the summer months is the culprit here. Your S2000 didn't develop much torque until higher up in the revs thus giving you a more secure feeling in the white stuff.
      01-28-2009, 07:08 PM   #3
gnpower
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M Sport 135i

Man, another winter question?
      01-28-2009, 08:13 PM   #4
AlienDNA
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i LeMans Blue

I have no opinion on this whatsoever.

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 08:33 PM   #5
jotapeh
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona Red 128i

Garage List
2008 128i  [0.00]
Start in 2nd gear
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 08:39 PM   #6
ZIPNBYE
Let's save military ranks for those who earn it!
Canada
Rep
Drives: ...on the Ragged Edge

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotapeh View Post
Start in 2nd gear
The A/T does.

One other thing that the OP didn't note is that the 1-series WEIGHS a lot more than an S2000. Sure, it's still balanced FtoR, but more weight means a greater pendulum effect on cornering.

My 135i is not the winter car that my MX-5 is, but then again, my MX-5 is not the winter car that my 135i is. They're different...accept it and move on.
2011 BMW 1-series M Coupe (#205/220) -- Valencia Orange (sold)
2009 BMW 135i M-Sport Coupe -- Space Grey (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 08:41 PM   #7
ZIPNBYE
Let's save military ranks for those who earn it!
Canada
Rep
Drives: ...on the Ragged Edge

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienDNA View Post
I have no opinion on this whatsoever.
Shocking!
2011 BMW 1-series M Coupe (#205/220) -- Valencia Orange (sold)
2009 BMW 135i M-Sport Coupe -- Space Grey (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 08:44 PM   #8
MatthewDFW
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '02 X5

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
How does my 1 handle in the snow...?

I was tempted to respond that this is a "trick question", since the correct response should be, "Jeez, I hope I never find out!"

But freakish weather (snow/ice/sleet) across Texas suddenly made your "trick question" a pretty good one.

My Verdict: Car Good. Stock Tires Not So Good. If I lived further North, and had mornings like this more often, a set of nice, gnarly winter tires would be REQUIRED. Tomorrow brings temps back into 40s here, and I'm ready for a good thaw!
===============
Our wee twin turbos may be smallish, but they doth mashie yon backside deeply seatwise.
===============

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 09:03 PM   #9
4wheelcycle
Private
United_States
Rep

Zipnbye wrote: One other thing that the OP didn't note is that the 1-series WEIGHS a lot more than an S2000.

That's true. The 135i probably weighs 400 lbs. more than the S2000.

When accelerating on the flat, like from a traffic light, this may mean even if I am careful I still have to let the wheels get more torque to get the extra weight moving, and that could by why I sense the rear end is looser.

Also, going up a steep grade I need to send more power to the rear wheels to lift that extra weight, which may also be why the 135i seems less competent than the S2000 at climbing icey/snowy hills.

Last edited by 4wheelcycle; 01-29-2009 at 08:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 02:24 AM   #10
lambammm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i montego/coral

i have the same set up and i think they are awesome in the snow. never drove an s2k with snows though so who the hell knows. ws60 for the win.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 06:58 AM   #11
bman6074
Major
Rep
Drives: 14 M235i and 07 Lotus Exige S

I just drove through a sheet of ice this morning and the car was solid as a rock. Sure there is the occasional wheel spin but that normal in any car from stand still. I do leave the DTC on in FULL. I only turn it off if I need a bit more wheel spin than full on mode will allow to get me moving.
Why do you turn it to the DTC setting? Try testing with it on and see if the car handles more to your liking??
      01-29-2009, 08:23 AM   #12
4wheelcycle
Private
United_States
Rep

bman6074 wrote: "I do leave the DTC on in FULL. I only turn it off if I need a bit more wheel spin than full on mode will allow to get me moving. Why do you turn it to the DTC setting? Try testing with it on and see if the car handles more to your liking?"

I suppose bman means that he leaves the DSC on in full, since DTC is what you get if you press the DTC button to turn off DSC and turn on DTC.

Here is a quote I saw in another post which led me to turn off DSC in snow:

"The default mode is DSC (Dynamic Stability Control). In this mode, the computer will temporarily reduce power to the engine, and/or apply brakes at individual wheels, if it detects the car is about to swerve or go out of control. With DSC on, it is very hard to toss out the rear end of the car, since DSC senses if momentum is about to throw the rear end past the front end and counteracts this tendency.

Most drivers should use the default DSC mode under most driving conditions. This feature can definitely be felt when it kicks in, and you will see the indicator light come on. Note: If DSC kicks in because the tires are spinning on snow as you go up a hill the power will be reduced and you may not have enough power to get up the hill.

One quick press of the DTC button turns off DSC and turns on the DTC mode (Dynamic Traction Control). More power is provided to the rear wheels, resulting in reduced stability as the effect of DSC is over-ridden. DTC is used in heavy snow, loose gravel or any environment where you need continued power to the rear wheels even though they may be spinning somewhat, and you don't want DSC to intervene and cut power because it thinks you are skidding.

Holding the DTC button down for 3 seconds turns off both DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) and DTC (Dynamic Traction Control) but the electronic differential is activated. The E-Diff will brake a spinning wheel, allowing more power to be applied to the wheel that has traction. The electronic differential tries to emulate a mechanical limited slip differential.

When DSC is on, the goal isn't just to stop the rear wheels from spinning. The goal is to prevent the car from going out of control. The computer will use engine cut out and individual wheel braking to slow the car down and bring it back in line. DSC is different than E-Diff, which tries to slow down the wheel that's spinning in order to shift power to the wheel that has grip."
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 08:27 AM   #13
pit1
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Wow...another winter discussion, hopefully we can get more northern folk to chime in on this one. Personally I think the car is fantastic!!!! I have Dunlop Winter M3s, 215s. I've only ever owned AWD cars, and fit them with performance All-seasons. Of course the acceleration is a bit limited by 2WD, but DSC is awesome and DTC will push you through trouble spots. So traction is one thing, dependent on condition, tires, throttle input, etc. Ice though, really exaggerates the cars balance and dynamics...my neighborhood was also a solid sheet...AMAZING...SIMPLY AMAZING, this car is so incredibly controllable.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 09:01 AM   #14
bman6074
Major
Rep
Drives: 14 M235i and 07 Lotus Exige S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheelcycle View Post
bman6074 wrote: "I do leave the DTC on in FULL. I only turn it off if I need a bit more wheel spin than full on mode will allow to get me moving. Why do you turn it to the DTC setting? Try testing with it on and see if the car handles more to your liking?"

I suppose bman means that he leaves the DSC on in full, since DTC is what you get if you press the DTC button to turn off DSC and turn on DTC.

Here is a quote I saw in another post which led me to turn off DSC in snow:

"The default mode is DSC (Dynamic Stability Control). In this mode, the computer will temporarily reduce power to the engine, and/or apply brakes at individual wheels, if it detects the car is about to swerve or go out of control. With DSC on, it is very hard to toss out the rear end of the car, since DSC senses if momentum is about to throw the rear end past the front end and counteracts this tendency.

Most drivers should use the default DSC mode under most driving conditions. This feature can definitely be felt when it kicks in, and you will see the indicator light come on. Note: If DSC kicks in because the tires are spinning on snow as you go up a hill the power will be reduced and you may not have enough power to get up the hill.

One quick press of the DTC button turns off DSC and turns on the DTC mode (Dynamic Traction Control). More power is provided to the rear wheels, resulting in reduced stability as the effect of DSC is over-ridden. DTC is used in heavy snow, loose gravel or any environment where you need continued power to the rear wheels even though they may be spinning somewhat, and you don't want DSC to intervene and cut power because it thinks you are skidding.

Holding the DTC button down for 3 seconds turns off both DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) and DTC (Dynamic Traction Control) but the electronic differential is activated. The E-Diff will brake a spinning wheel, allowing more power to be applied to the wheel that has traction. The electronic differential tries to emulate a mechanical limited slip differential.

When DSC is on, the goal isn't just to stop the rear wheels from spinning. The goal is to prevent the car from going out of control. The computer will use engine cut out and individual wheel braking to slow the car down and bring it back in line. DSC is different than E-Diff, which tries to slow down the wheel that's spinning in order to shift power to the wheel that has grip."
I see the light.
Definitly would have done the same if I had read that. I did miss quote myself. I meant to say I leave DCS on full. With it in DTC mode i def slide more.
Try comparing the s2000 with DCS on? Curious to how they would compare then. As i mentioned before I only switch to DTC if i need a little more wheel spin, but once i get moving again i switch back to DCS.
      01-29-2009, 09:21 AM   #15
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

I've driven it in the snow a few times here and it was okay. I have Wintersport 3D's and I find it to be okay on the flats but is a bit more difficult to drive up hills especially with all that torque.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 09:32 AM   #16
desmat
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F31 M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheelcycle View Post
...Please note, I always turn the DSC off and drive with DTC-only in the snow...
A quick press on the DTC button is great for starting from a stop sign but try going full DSC-DTC on when gaining speed so the tail will not swerve.

And you know what to do with this button when the roads are empty
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 09:45 AM   #17
Guildenstern
or Rosencrantz
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 128i

Garage List
2008 128i Coupe  [0.00]
Some of your concern is that the high torque causes the back to let go faster, but you turn off a feature that limits power to the rear wheels? Why?

If you smoothly let the car get going without spinning the tires (2nd gear and DSC on) You loose no control. But with DTC going you can break the back free quicker which reduces your traction. Leading to a spiral of more power to "paddle wheel" the car across the intersection, which invites more directional Instability (fun, but you are still going 3 MPH)
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 04:48 PM   #18
Ronin
Rep
Drives:

We have lots of snow north of the border ... even with full snows on, its a twitchy car. There is alot of power going to those back wheels.

The other daily driver in the family is an A4 on all seasons, and the 1 isn't as surefooted, but it is a different kind of car entirely.

So its not a snowmobile (like the A4), so what? It's not meant to be. It's as well mannered as a rwd should be in the snow. It requires skill and respect for its 300hp when there is 10cm of powder on the road.

Snows and 4wd are great for "go" but nothing repeals the laws of physics. Its no fun having a car in the shop because you were going to fast on snow and smacked a curb.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 09:58 PM   #19
Guildenstern
or Rosencrantz
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 128i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Snows and 4wd are great for "go" but nothing repeals the laws of physics. Its no fun having a car in the shop because you were going to fast on snow and smacked a curb.
It's funny you should say this, around cleveland it seems like most of the cars WAAAAAAAAY off the road in a ditch are typicaly all 4wd cars. That inerta get 'em every time.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2009, 07:36 PM   #20
4wheelcycle
Private
United_States
Rep

Guildentern wrote: "Some of your concern is that the high torque causes the back to let go faster, but you turn off a feature that limits power to the rear wheels? Why?"

Good point! Maybe people (like me) who buy the 135i can't bear to think of turning down the power.

I thought allowing DSC to turn down the power was a bad thing, but it might be more effective to leave DSC on. I'll try it the next time we get fresh snow (probably only a day away here in NH).

There weren't so many settings on my S2000 - just be careful on the gas and the steering and away you go. With the 135i we have DSC, DTC and "You're on your own" - at least three different settings to try in the snow on the flat and on uphill sections. There are lots of approaches to try out before I make any final judgements on the 135i's handling in snow.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2009, 09:10 PM   #21
Guildenstern
or Rosencrantz
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 128i Coupe  [0.00]
Remember it's only turnig down the power when you have no way to use it. A free spinning tire with 1 hp or 300 hp still isn't puting any of that torque to work. It's just limiting your power output to the maximum amount the traction allows, and with DSC keeps you on a straighter path.

More importantly experiment and find what works best for you. I found for the 128i DSC works great. But I don't have 300 FT-LBS blasting to my rear wheels at less than 2000 RPM so I'm willing to bet it takes a whole lot more right foot finnese to keep the DSC quiet.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 09:17 AM   #22
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

With winter tires the car could be as good as an awd in my opinion. I was pleasantly surprised driving around after seven inches of snow fell. The roads had not been plowed yet and my 135 with Dunlop 3D's went thru it like a champ.

Last edited by TunedM2C; 01-31-2009 at 11:43 AM..
Appreciate 0