BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-18-2012, 08:58 PM   #1
manikgtr
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Exclamation Clutch issues please help shed some light

Hi guy and gals i've recently been having some issues with my car and was hoping there might be someone here that could help shed some light on what the problem might be. So let me start from the begging. About 3 weeks or so ago I install a new clutch in my car (clutch master stage 4 with ALU flywheel). I torqued all bolts to spec and replaced the ALU ones that they say not to reuse. So after everything was back together I when't for a test drive all seemed ok. after a few drives it started to chatter wile in gear and driving at very low rpm like under 1700. Also it chatters once the engine gets hot in neutral but once i press the clutch it goes away and starts immediately once released. the problem seems to be getting worse anybody ever had this happen by the way theres a new throw out bearing theres probably only 2000km on the clutch i really don't want to have to remove the tranny aging.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 09:59 PM   #2
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

I'm no clutch expert, but after market clutches, especially ones that replace the fly wheel tend to be very noisy exactly how you described. but i'll let others chime in and provide more details.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 04:08 PM   #3
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
Yeah it seems that any other Flywheel besides the stock dual mass will come with extra chatter. That's why BMW used the dual mass one of it's benefits is less chatter. I'd say if everything is installed correctly and you don't like the chatter, I'd keep the clutch and install a new OEM flywheel. You'll sacrifice some responsiveness, but will have significantly less chatter.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 05:00 PM   #4
dan_brooks
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: '09 135i Manual

Flywheel chatter happens with a lightened solid mass flywheel...
Each engine pulse isn't dampened like the OEM flywheel (2 'discs' rotationally sprung), so the noise gets transmitted rather than absorbed.

As above, if you can't stand it (understandable) then you'll have to get an OEM flywheel.
Appreciate 0