Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
Can anyone fill me in on what's so desirable about these? I haven't driven one, but I see them all over NYC and they look great in person.

What gives?
"see them all over NYC"....uhhh....what? do you live in the same NYC i live in?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 12:49 PM   #24
dan99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 01' 330xi / 15' M235i

i was hoping that once the m235i get's released, the 1m price would drop, but that doesn't seem to be the case
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 01:17 PM   #25
Ash83
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i & RS5 (SOLD)/ 18 CTS-V

1M is great car !!!

The price will take a hit once M2 arrives.

But in another 10~15 years it will gain back some value based on rarity.

Performance: JB4|BMW PE|DP Cosmetics: BMW Sport Pedals|Black Kidney Grill
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 01:20 PM   #26
OAM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post

Yeah agreed. I've only seen a 1M 4 times in Manhattan since I got mine in Nov. 2011 and two times it was the same car.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 02:05 PM   #27
CoEEzi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 & 1M

buy mine I havent really driven it LOL! should keep it!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 02:18 PM   #28
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Can anyone fill me in on what's so desirable about these? I haven't driven one, but I see them all over NYC and they look great in person.

What gives?
It's a great car that was universally well reviewed (with the notable exception of Randy Pobst), and hardly any were made. The fact that the E82 had a bit of a cult following helps too. It's a very distinct car, and there aren't a lot of others like it.

Having said that, if I were a 1M owner, and hoping to make a buck, I'd get out soon, because I don't think the 1M values will hold up forever. The M2 is a very similar formula, and in a design that is less polarizing. I think the mass-availability of the M2 is going to hurt 1M values. The formula is so similar that it'd be very difficult for anyone to justify the purchase of a 1M at $10k-$15k over original MSRP when there's an M2 sitting at a dealer just a few miles away.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 02:52 PM   #29
skunkd
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 STI 2008 BMW M5 2004 530i

as soon as an m2 is announced the value will drop hard.

You guys better sell before the M2 comes out cause it's gonna blow the doors off the 1M in looks and performance.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 02:58 PM   #30
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

The M2 will Never be a collectors car, mas produced will always depreciate. The 1M was a test car for the M group to define a market below the M3. It was designed to be a Limited edition car, even though it wasn't advertised that way.

The 1M will always be a limited number Collectors car. And there will always be a Collectors market for the car.

Best BMW I have ever owned and I have owned them for almost 40 years.
August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 73K Miles
02 E39 M5 Le Mans Blue 50K Miles
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 03:03 PM   #31
iatros
Private
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Blue 2008 E92

I've driven my friends 1m, and I was amazed! I agree with those who say the value will be stable despite the m235 or m2. The 1m is a niche car and is rare. The potential m2 will likely be mass produced and will depreciate just as any mainstream production car will. I don't think it will matter if the m2 is a few tenths faster in the quarter mile...it still won't change the rarity and thus the appeal of the mythical 1m.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 03:14 PM   #32
Gtrain
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: something slowwwww

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
Maybe it's the VO 1M on Woodhaven Blvd that's parked there daily.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 03:22 PM   #33
3M TAPE
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

What gives?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 03:30 PM   #34
ttbmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: space gray on black 07 335i

60k. no thanx.
between 2 ungly cars like 1m/135 and GTR for that much money ill take an 09 GTR. on top of that the new M4 starts at 62k
PROCEDE, PWM Vishnu Kit, AR catless DP, BMS DCI, Helix IC, P3 gauge, 25% window tint, mattblack window trim, mattblack roof wrapped. Vorstainer CSL trunk, CF wrapped interior, 18'' Forgestar F14 Matt black, quaife LSD, M3 suspension bits, Mtech front bumper). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8JIB8C8HDA
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 03:30 PM   #35
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

I'm not sure the E30 M3 dropped once the E36 M3 came to market.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 03:36 PM   #36
fermat1313
Commander in Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M, 2002 Honda S200

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkd View Post
as soon as an m2 is announced the value will drop hard.

You guys better sell before the M2 comes out cause it's gonna blow the doors off the 1M in looks and performance.
Like others have said, the value will probably drop some, but 20 years from now, a 2011 1M will probably be worth lots more than a 2015 M2. Between the limited availability, the history of the car, plus the fact that it was freakishly good against all odds almost guarantees it.

Even if the value takes a drop, why would I get out of it? I didn't buy it as an investment. It's a fantastic car that I love to drive, maybe one I'll keep for the rest of my life. And if I do have to sell it, it'll keep a lot more of it's value than most cars.

2011 BMW 1 Series M Coupe | Valencia Orange | ED Ordered May 26, 2011 | Welt Pickup October 25, 2011 | PCD Pickup January 3, 2012
2002 Honda S2000 | Suzuka Blue | Purchased in 2012 with 81k miles.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 03:36 PM   #37
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

First let's clear this up: anyone who keeps this car hoping for a profit is just stupid and this even if that happens for that particular person. It is a car most would like to keep as long as he/she can because it is just a wonderful little M car with a very utilitarian bi-turbo engine.

Now, I see a lot of assumptions started to pour in in this thread as it happens every other related thread that;

a) M2 will be an incredible performer
b) It will not be limited in any sense since that is the general wish of most
c) It will have a reasonable price tag
d) It will share at least some of the new technology that M3/M4 will introduce a la relationship between 1M and E9X M3 or even better it will have its own unique tech details, both would make it rise above regular or M Performance models
e) It will have aggressive and distinct styling
f) And most importantly when people start driving it they will all claim that M2 has its own personality and feels very different than both 1M and M4 and also M235i.

Sure a M2 should have all those and more and should be a great car. BUT do we have any guarantees or any confirmation regarding any of those? I don't think so, we don't know how BMW will proceed with that yet; there seems to be enough reason to believe that yes it will be produced but how will they place it between a M235i and M4 is not answered and in my opinion is not decided yet.

It can be a great little car and can cure all the downsides of other performance oriented cars BMW started to produce or it can fall in the trap of trying to be a market pleaser. In this case, I still have my doubts about how good it will be because I feel that BMW will not make any of the high end technology in M4 available for a M2 and won't hurt the M3/M4 sales.

Because if BMW dares to hurt the M3/M4 sales by making the M2 that good and distinct then I don't see how it will not be 'limited' and universally available next to M3/M4.

This choice that BMW will soon make (making the M2 too good and close to M4 but limited somehow or alternatively less good/closer to M235i but not limited) will be the only factor that will have a real impact on 1M prices and honestly in both cases I don't see how 1M prices will or should take a plunge. Either there will be some kind of frustration from a not-so-great M2 which will also be all around in huge numbers ...or it will be again limited, rare and extremely expensive. How will the 1M get affected from any of these?

I expect prices will fall very slowly for the 1M a la Z3 M Coupe and unmolested and low mileage cars will continue having a very high value due to supply/demand. In my opinion people who missed the chance 3 years ago of grabbing one as new this time are missing the chance of grabbing a very well kept one and they risk to double their regrets by simply waiting the prices to fall and/or M2 showing up as everyone's dream car and taking the spot.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 04-08-2014 at 03:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 03:48 PM   #38
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermat1313 View Post
Like others have said, the value will probably drop some, but 20 years from now, a 2011 1M will probably be worth lots more than a 2015 M2. Between the limited availability, the history of the car, plus the fact that it was freakishly good against all odds almost guarantees it.

Even if the value takes a drop, why would I get out of it? I didn't buy it as an investment. It's a fantastic car that I love to drive, maybe one I'll keep for the rest of my life. And if I do have to sell it, it'll keep a lot more of it's value than most cars.
Good to see you back on the forum! We met at Cars and Coffee about a year ago. :)
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 03:55 PM   #39
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

Am I the only one who thinks this car is too fun to speculate or worry about future value?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 04:03 PM   #40
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain View Post
Am I the only one who thinks this car is too fun to speculate or worry about future value?
Nope. I'm now pushing 48,000 miles and have had it on the track more than 60 days -- not the sort of thing you usually do if you're concerned about resale value.

Like you, I'm far too focused on valuing it --and driving it -- on a daily basis

Neil
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 04:05 PM   #41
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Now, I see a lot of assumptions started to pour in in this thread as it happens every other related thread that;

a) M2 will be an incredible performer
b) It will not be limited in any sense since that is the general wish of most
c) It will have a reasonable price tag
d) It will share at least some of the new technology that M3/M4 will introduce a la relationship between 1M and E9X M3 or even better it will have its own unique tech details, both would make it rise above regular or M Performance models
e) It will have aggressive and distinct styling
f) And most importantly when people start driving it they will all claim that M2 has its own personality and feels very different than both 1M and M4 and also M235i.
You forgot g) It will come out in 2015

and I agree all assumptions.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 04:08 PM   #42
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Let's not focus too much on the 'advertised price' versus 'effective sales price' discussion. True that cars are mostly not sold at 'advertised price'.

Let's approach the discussion differently: the rather uncommon phenomenon why 'advertised prices' for the 1M are still pretty high.

Shortly the 1M celebrates another birthday since market introduction (May 2011 - May 2014). Well, just name a couple of BMW cars that still manage to feature an 'advertised price' near MSRP as resale price a few years after market introduction. How well did other BMW cars fare as regards resale value depreciation ? Did these hold (apparent) value or instead 'take a hit', with a resale value quickly 'tanking' ? Or do you have to go back in time to think of BMW cars with decent resale value nowadays (such as an E30 M3 or an E46 M3 CSL in pristine condition) ?

Secondly. In the future there may be many cars sporting the M badge (either as ///M car or as car with an ///M package), but in principle no BMW coupé will ever be called "1-Series M Coupé" again. That slot is taken forever by the E82 1M. The 1M was/is the 1M, no M3. The M2 will be the M2, no 1M or M3/M4. The 1M might go down the car history books as a particular pocket rocket, a vehicle that petrol heads might label in the future - probably also due to stricter legislation impacting the conception of cars - as "cars that unfortunately are not made like that anymore nowadays".

Quote:
Yea keep smoking whatever you're on. 1M is an ugly duckling and didn't even get a proper M badging. Its as much an M car as an M 235i... when the M2 comes out kiss your resale goodnight.
This is no Supra, or some highly sought after car that will maintain it's value like you think. It didn't revolutionize anything. It's a spiced up 135i and those can be found anywhere and modded to perform just as well as a 1m. All I can say is wait and see. If I had one it would be out the door in the next few months before the M2 is announced.
Allow me to throw some food into your cage.

First read the attachment to this post. Just to ensure that we're referring to the same car: BMW_1M_Technical_Training.pdf

Also read some impressions from people who test cars for a living and happened to drive the car prior to making statements about it:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...28&postcount=1

Quote:
1M is an ugly duckling and didn't even get a proper M badging. Its as much an M car as an M 235i... when the M2 comes out kiss your resale goodnight.
Actually, when the M2 comes out - as well as before it and after it - 1M owners might go for a drive in the 1M and enjoy its qualities to kiss the night goodbye. After all, that's normally the main reason why they got the car, don't you think so ?

Mid 2011 SkiddMark published an article entitled "3 Reasons why you should have bought BMW’s 1 Series M Coupé". Main reasons that were given:
(http://www.skiddmark.com/2011/06/06/...eries-m-coupe/)
  • "[T]his innocuous-looking entry-level M car is probably the best car BMW have produced in nearly a decade. How did I arrive at such a preposterous conclusion? After all isn’t this just a 135i with a re-mapped twin-turbo six engine and a fancy body kit? Well, on a scale of 1 to 10, where 10 is “I’ve just been given a free lunch” and 1 signifies “I’ve been screwed”, the 1 Series M Coupé is a 12. And a half. Seriously."
  • "So what does 400 bhp in a 1 Series feel like? The overriding sensation is one of effortless performance."
  • "It was on that Scottish hillside that all the pieces clicked into place, the punchy engine, quick steering and unimpeachable chassis were laughing at my attempts to challenge their supremacy. Having been an M3 CSL owner myself for almost 8 years, I thought I’d learned all there was to know about BMW’s best rear-drive chassis, but the 1 Series M Coupé was so much fun that I turned around and tackled the same set of tight cambered curves again. Twice."
And before you mumble "SkiddMark who ? 1M ?": author of the video below shot in December 2010 (thus prior to the 2011 Detroit world première and official launch of the 1M).

'Ugly duckling' ? To each his own, but you're supposed to know that 'ugly duckling' stood out of the rest because - as the story goes - it turned out to be a swan...

04-08-2014, 04:33 PM   #43
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

This is very simple it's a fantastic car to drive and costs hardly anything in depreciation. Put your money in a M 2/3/4/5/6 all nice but you will lose a fortune in depreciation. It might drop a bit in value but not much as a limited edition that got rave reviews.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 05:00 PM   #44
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999
I'm not sure the E30 M3 dropped once the E36 M3 came to market.
not true at all.....E30 M3s were not very expensive in the 90s....could find them fairly easily under $10k.
Appreciate 0