BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-02-2010, 11:20 AM   #1
M2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

New suspension - clanking from front suspension

I recently had a full suspension install/upgrade http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412549 and as of late, I have been experiencing very noticeable clanking/(metal on metal) when driving over bumpy roads. It is becoming more and more apparent. It is coming from the front suspension when I go over bumpy irregular roads. The quality of suspension feedback is quickly degrading and it feels as if there is something lose in the front suspension. I have done numerous "searches" on this and other forums and have come up with a few possibilities:
1) lose end links on the front sway bar (that was replaced with the suspension install)
2) bad wheel bearing(s)
3) struts not properly torque’d
4) M3 suspension parts not torque’d to “load bearing spec’s"

any other suggestion before I take it to a shop. I want to be able to have them look over everything, even if it isn’t an obvious lose nut or bolt. thanks in advance

Also I am not blaming or accusing the shop that did the work. I just want to find out what is going on with my suspenison.

Last edited by M2; 09-02-2010 at 11:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 12:10 PM   #2
arrutled
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Olsa

Make sure your sway bar is going over the tie-rod and not under it. If so, its in upside down and will result in some clanking. If the top nut on the strut isnt tight you will also get some clanking. If you got new endlinks I would suggest putting the stock ones back in to make sure you have the right height endlinks.

AW 135i w/ blackette, performance short shift kit, BMW alarm, Performance rotors, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Direzza Star Spec 235/275, Dinan stage 3 suspension, M3 wishbones/tension rods/front sway/rear subframe bushings and thats all folks!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 01:41 PM   #3
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

Please make sure the end links were installed on the correct R/L sides if they are R/L directional (the OEM does). If they were installed incorrectly, you can tell the ball joint angel is not perpendicular (or 90 degree) to the attachment. I had the same problem and had posted some pictures to show the correct and incorrect installaiton. Please either search my name or end link in this forum and look at the pictures.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 02:04 PM   #4
M2
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by My135 View Post
Please make sure the end links were installed on the correct R/L sides if they are R/L directional (the OEM does). If they were installed incorrectly, you can tell the ball joint angel is not perpendicular (or 90 degree) to the attachment. I had the same problem and had posted some pictures to show the correct and incorrect installaiton. Please either search my name or end link in this forum and look at the pictures.

found it. http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ight=end+links

i'll add that to the list to check out.
thanks for the feedback.

Last edited by M2; 09-02-2010 at 02:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 02:05 PM   #5
M2
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrutled View Post
Make sure your sway bar is going over the tie-rod and not under it. If so, its in upside down and will result in some clanking. If the top nut on the strut isnt tight you will also get some clanking. If you got new endlinks I would suggest putting the stock ones back in to make sure you have the right height endlinks.
I just checked the sway bar and it goes over the tie rod. Now I need to check the top nut on the strut.

thanks for the feedback.
      09-02-2010, 02:28 PM   #6
CDR_UK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

I'd guess the nuts that fix the end links to the struts are loose, this will cause exactly the behavior you describe (sound and degradation in performance) and has been experienced by several people on the board. Especially those who fitted KW's then reused the original nuts rather than new one provided by KW.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 03:19 PM   #7
M2
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDR_UK View Post
I'd guess the nuts that fix the end links to the struts are loose, this will cause exactly the behavior you describe (sound and degradation in performance) and has been experienced by several people on the board. Especially those who fitted KW's then reused the original nuts rather than new one provided by KW.

thanks for the suggestion, I will check it out and get back to everyone on what I find.
      09-10-2010, 05:25 PM   #8
M2
Lieutenant
Rep

taking the car in tomorrow. I've been so busy at work this past week I just left my car at home until I had a chance to take it in for service. I have been having 135i daily driving withdrawal and I hope they get it straightened out tomorrow. the weather has been perfect for going driving. I am also going to miss the Skyline Run that is taking place tomorrow...

Anyhow, I will update you all on what they find.