Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaigaTii View Post
This is all great info!

gs/e60/1m? let us know how you make out taking the 17” alloy (supposedly to fit M3 and 1M) back to the dealer?

So it looks like the BMW black steel 18” compact spare wheel ( part # 36-11-6-768-861 for the X5 and X6) should work on the 1M (and M3) with the appropriate tire (ie Maxxis 155/70-18 112M part # TP 10676000 giving a diameter of 26.54”or several of the other suggested choices). Thanks Tom303 and flzrider for the link to this information!

I have a couple of questions related to using this wheel on our 1Ms:-

1) Is the bolt/stud hole size on this wheel larger that what is on the 1M wheels? ie ours are sized to take a stud 12mm in diameter.

2) If the hole size on the steel wheel is larger is the purpose of the “centering ring” to ensure that the smaller diameter 1M (M3) bolt/studs will center precisely in the steel wheel holes? – Or is there another purpose for the ring?

3) Will our 1M bolts/studs be useable with the steel wheel or will a different set of bolts/studs be required? ie same diameter but different length?

Thanks for your help - pete

A quick check of RealOEM.com confirms that the X5 uses a M14 wheel bolt(s).

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...19&hg=36&fg=15

Our 1er cars use a M12 wheel bolt. I think that is a deal breaker in using an X5 spare wheel option.

But a better option would be using the spare tire option from an e60. Like this one maybe?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...16&hg=36&fg=95

Even IF the wheel bolts were the same size... steel wheels require a different bolt head seat - where the bolt meets or sits inside the wheel lug holes. There are steel wheel bolts(rounded head bolts) and alloy wheel bolts(cone shapped). You really should use the correct wheel bolts.

This was the main reason why I went with the 17" bmw alloy wheel for my 135i. I did not want to carry around five extra steel wheel bolts. Plus my dealer gave me a swetheart deal on the wheel - they had instock.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #46
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
A quick check of RealOEM.com confirms that the X5 uses a M14 wheel bolt(s).

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...19&hg=36&fg=15

Our 1er cars use a M12 wheel bolt. I think that is a deal breaker in using an X5 spare wheel option.

But a better option would be using the spare tire option from an e60. Like this one maybe?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...16&hg=36&fg=95

Even IF the wheel bolts were the same size... steel wheels require a different bolt head seat - where the bolt meets or sits inside the wheel lug holes. There are steel wheel bolts(rounded head bolts) and alloy wheel bolts(cone shapped). You really should use the correct wheel bolts.

This was the main reason why I went with the 17" bmw alloy wheel for my 135i. I did not want to carry around five extra steel wheel bolts. Plus my dealer gave me a swetheart deal on the wheel - they had instock.
Dackel,

You bring up a good point about the wheel bolts. The F10 535i and the E70 X5 both use M14 bolts (14mm diameter). The 1M and E9X M3 use M12 bolts.

However, it seems like the M3 guys are successfully using the wheel despite being made for a bigger wheel bolt as you can see here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253769. It also appears that Bimmerzone markets the wheel as fitting the E9X M3 here: http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Perfor...E90M3-KIT.html (I assume it is the same 18" steel BMW wheel). From my searching it appears that there is no 18" OEM BMW steel wheel that is made for M12 bolts, unless I have missed it.

As for the interface between the head of the wheel bolt and wheel being different on the steel wheels: realoem shows the same wheel bolt being used on the E70 steel wheel and regular alloy wheels, so it seems like it is meant to be used with standard wheel bolts.

And lastly, the E60 steel wheel link you posted (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...18&hg=36&fg=10) and the spare alloy that you use are both 17" wheels, which will not fit over the 1M front brakes.
      02-25-2012, 01:34 PM   #47
VO1M
Private
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
This is all great info!

gs/e60/1m? let us know how you make out taking the 17” alloy (supposedly to fit M3 and 1M) back to the dealer?

So it looks like the BMW black steel 18” compact spare wheel ( part # 36-11-6-768-861 for the X5 and X6) should work on the 1M (and M3) with the appropriate tire (ie Maxxis 155/70-18 112M part # TP 10676000 giving a diameter of 26.54”or several of the other suggested choices). Thanks Tom303 and flzrider for the link to this information!

1) Is the bolt/stud hole size on this wheel larger that what is on the 1M wheels? ie ours are sized to take a stud 12mm in diameter.

2) If the hole size on the steel wheel is larger is the purpose of the “centering ring” to ensure that the smaller diameter 1M (M3) bolt/studs will center precisely in the steel wheel holes? – Or is there another purpose for the ring?

3) Will our 1M bolts/studs be useable with the steel wheel or will a different set of bolts/studs be required? ie same diameter but different length?

Right - just had the 18" steel (with 135/80 x 18 Continental s/s tyre). Fits fine with standard wheelbolts (M12) - the standard conical profile bolt fits fine in the hole. Also, it does not require the plastic centre spacer - this is just for ease of fitting rather than for anything else. Think about all those ancient VW Beetles with those massive holes in the centre of the wheel!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 04:14 PM   #48
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Sold for a reptile

Quote:
This is all great info!

As I posted before, just brought the 17" spare back yesterday morning.

Not a prob no arguements.... they made nothing out of it .

So I ordered the 18" black steel spare + the bolts and a tire in the sizes as posted previously. Doesn't matter which one.

Again thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 11:25 PM   #49
flzrider
Captain
Rep

I got my 18" OEM BMW wheel and my Maxxis tire mounted today. The M12 bolts have some play in the bolt holes in the wheels, as expected since they are made for M14, but the conical head of the bolts matches perfectly with the counter sink on the wheels. I haven't bolted it to the car yet, but I don't expect any issues. And like I mentioned earlier, the M3 guys have used this wheel successfully in the past.

Now I am doing some research on a quality compact jack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
^^The BMW scissor jack is a better choice - I think. BMW thinks the same since they offer it as an option via thier parts dept. I never liked those leaning jacks. The scissor jack that BMW reccomends is more stable since it lifts straight up and not at an angle.
The BMW kit you showed off seems to have had a few reported failures:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=351023

I know scissor jack's aren't the most reliable form of jacking up a car, but those incidents have me nervous. It also seems a bit expensive for a simple jack, chock, and wrench.

I'm thinking of building my own jack kit. This is much more affordable, however, I have no idea on it's quality and I am assuming since it is listed as fitting an E46 M3 it will fit into the BMW jack pad:

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-M3-S54_3.2L/ES1866579/

Maybe I should just get something like this with a very large capacity so as to have plenty of margin:

http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...ack-96406.html

I would have to make an adapter to fit properly into the jack pad of the car, but that seems fairly easy.

Any thoughts?
      03-01-2012, 10:54 AM   #50
Jim 1M
Rep

Garage List
2011 1M  [0.00]
2000 M Coupe (sold)  [0.00]
1997 318ti  [0.00]
1995 E36 M3 (sold)  [0.00]
1990 E30 M3 (sold)  [0.00]
1984 318i (sold)  [0.00]
1980 320i (sold)  [0.00]
I got the Harbor Freight 1-1/2 ton Model 66907 and fits perfectly in the plastic jack pad box on the 1M
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 11:18 AM   #51
flzrider
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 1M View Post
I got the Harbor Freight 1-1/2 ton Model 66907 and fits perfectly in the plastic jack pad box on the 1M

Not sure why it has that odd shaped piece on top of the jack, but you are saying that it fits well in the jack pad? Is that piece fixed or can it rotate?
      03-01-2012, 12:09 PM   #52
Jim 1M
Rep

Garage List
2011 1M  [0.00]
2000 M Coupe (sold)  [0.00]
1997 318ti  [0.00]
1995 E36 M3 (sold)  [0.00]
1990 E30 M3 (sold)  [0.00]
1984 318i (sold)  [0.00]
1980 320i (sold)  [0.00]
It rotates to the position in the picture to aline with the plastic box. That piece on top then fits inside the box. I have a full size 19" wheel and the jack and all tools fit inside the wheel. I have foamed the inside of the wheel to secure everything. Then made a black bag with orange stitching to cover it.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #53
TaigaTii
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

Steel wheel/Maxxis tire

Originally posted by flzrider
"]I got my 18" OEM BMW wheel and my Maxxis tire mounted today. The M12 bolts have some play in the bolt holes in the wheels, as expected since they are made for M14, but the conical head of the bolts matches perfectly with the counter sink on the wheels. I haven't bolted it to the car yet, but I don't expect any issues. And like I mentioned earlier, the M3 guys have used this wheel successfully in the past

I will be ordering the BMW wheel from the dealer (about $90 cdn plus tax) and I have checked with Tire Rack on the Pirelli space saver tire but they are backordered and have no ETA. I then went to Maxxis in the US for that tire ($139 usd) and I tried to order it and have it shipped to Blaine, Wa but my Canadian Visa was rejected. They directed me to the Canadian Maxxis offices where the tire there is $190 cdn plus tax (ouch!). I will likely order from there.

flzrider -if you do "test fit" your OEM BMW wheel and Maxxis tire it would be greatly appreciated if you could report on this and possibly take a picture or two. Thanks --- pete
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 03:59 PM   #54
flzrider
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I will be ordering the BMW wheel from the dealer (about $90 cdn plus tax) and I have checked with Tire Rack on the Pirelli space saver tire but they are backordered and have no ETA. I then went to Maxxis in the US for that tire ($139 usd) and I tried to order it and have it shipped to Blaine, Wa but my Canadian Visa was rejected. They directed me to the Canadian Maxxis offices where the tire there is $190 cdn plus tax (ouch!). I will likely order from there.

flzrider -if you do "test fit" your OEM BMW wheel and Maxxis tire it would be greatly appreciated if you could report on this and possibly take a picture or two. Thanks --- pete
Wow, that sucks. Can't you find a friend with a valid US cc?

I will definitely take pictures once I test fit it. I'll also see how close the actual OD's are.

I still need to purchase a jack, centering ring, and tire tote.

I also purchased the parts needed to install the additional cargo hooks so I can secure it properly. http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=425060
      03-08-2012, 03:06 PM   #55
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider View Post
Wow, that sucks. Can't you find a friend with a valid US cc?

I will definitely take pictures once I test fit it. I'll also see how close the actual OD's are.

I still need to purchase a jack, centering ring, and tire tote.

I also purchased the parts needed to install the additional cargo hooks so I can secure it properly. http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=425060
Any news yet? Pics? Would you order a maxxis tyre for me if you could?

I mean if there was one availlable. Most of the tyre resalers here can put them in backorder but noone has a clou as to when they will arrive.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 03:52 PM   #56
flzrider
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs/e60/1m? View Post
Any news yet? Pics? Would you order a maxxis tyre for me if you could?

I mean if there was one availlable. Most of the tyre resalers here can put them in backorder but noone has a clou as to when they will arrive.
No updates yet. I ordered an aluminum centering ring that I would like to get before trying it out on the car. I should have it by this weekend.

Also ordered a tiretote to store the tire.

Last thing I need to buy is a scissor jack. Still debating whether I should go with a cheap harborfreight one, or go with a more expensive BMW jack. (~$20 vs. ~$70).

As for the tire, I don't mind ordering you a tire and then shipping it to you, but I don't think shipping to Europe will be very cheap. If you still want to do it just PM me and I'll be glad to help out.
      03-08-2012, 07:07 PM   #57
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

FWIW, I just bought a 145/70-18 Bridgestone spare off Ebay. Made for a Mitsu Evo 8 so the wheel won't work and I bought a new one from BMW (bmwpartsonline/Tischer). Got the jack from Harborfreight.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 12:08 AM   #58
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider View Post
No updates yet. I ordered an aluminum centering ring that I would like to get before trying it out on the car. I should have it by this weekend.

Also ordered a tiretote to store the tire.

Last thing I need to buy is a scissor jack. Still debating whether I should go with a cheap harborfreight one, or go with a more expensive BMW jack. (~$20 vs. ~$70).

As for the tire, I don't mind ordering you a tire and then shipping it to you, but I don't think shipping to Europe will be very cheap. If you still want to do it just PM me and I'll be glad to help out.
OK thanks, I'll search a little longer here. But if it's taking too long I'll get back to your offer
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 06:53 PM   #59
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

I found this on Bimmerfest. Tried watching M3 video but got an error. I will try again later. Interesting that they list the M3 spare.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/news/60607...-for-your-bmw/
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 03:01 PM   #60
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep

Today i've picked up my spare steel wheel and tyre
Wheel was 80 euro's
Tyre was 143 euro's Conti 135/80/R18

All in all the delivery was faster than I expected.

The storemanager asked me where I got my info and said he learned a thing ot two today. I really wasn't surprised and told him that with a little help from "friends" one can always learn a lot on a dedicated forum
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 03:13 PM   #61
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #739/740

Garage List
Quote:
Today i've picked up my spare steel wheel and tyre
Wheel was 80 euro's
Tyre was 143 euro's Conti 135/80/R18

All in all the delivery was faster than I expected.

The storemanager asked me where I got my info and said he learned a thing ot two today. I really wasn't surprised and told him that with a little help from "friends" one can always learn a lot on a dedicated forum
Cool...make sure you bring the spare to Spa so we can see it and study it......
      03-22-2012, 03:56 PM   #62
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
FWIW, I just bought a 145/70-18 Bridgestone spare off Ebay. Made for a Mitsu Evo 8 so the wheel won't work and I bought a new one from BMW (bmwpartsonline/Tischer). Got the jack from Harborfreight.

Neil
Update: Works perfectly (and, hopefully, I won't need it)!

Neil
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 04:26 PM   #63
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Update: Works perfectly (and, hopefully, I won't need it)!

Neil

Neil, are you using different bolts or the stock ones?

gs
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 04:37 PM   #64
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikx1M View Post
Cool...make sure you bring the spare to Spa so we can see it and study it......
Sorry no can do cuz the tyre is not on the wheel yet and I'm affraid I won't have the time to go by the tyreshop.

Btw the trunk is reserved for some "other" things.... You know what

The weather forecast is promessing so you're going to enjoy your semi's
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 07:58 PM   #65
flzrider
Captain
Rep

Checked the fitment today. Everything fits well. I tried it on the front axle as well as the rear. Images below show it mounted on the front, the wheel/caliper clearance, bolt hole close up, and the spare vs rear tire OD.
Attached Images

03-28-2012, 09:19 AM   #66
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Neil, are you using different bolts or the stock ones?

gs
Running with wheel studs so I don't have to worry about bolts.

Neil
Appreciate 0