Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 RarriRot

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3alabama View Post
I just love that 7k is only the START of the best part of the power in the car. In hte n54 engines once you hit 5500 the fun is over and you are better served to shift by 6k or so.

The m3 doesn't even get out of bed before 6k and than is up and ready at 7k and only continues to pull harder and harder until 8400. Thats the thing its an experience in itself. Some hate it and like low end grunt and some love it. I love both

Quote:
Originally Posted by firechicken99
+1!!!

Why I will never get rid of my 1M and a few years down the road when I'm on my own my goal is to have both in the garage!

Great points by all!
Love my 1M. Would be awesome to put an e90m3 sedan in the garage alongside someday as a daily driver.

Fortunately, the sedans are getting cheaper....should be able to find one for around 20k in a couple of years....
$20K will be a hard find even in 5 years from now IMO. (Maybe an 08)
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 02:32 AM   #46
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

Well I had my second test drive in the same M3 coupe with competition pack, this time for over an hour on mixed roads and I still did not use it to its full potential, giving a real world test. So I won't be making the same move, impressed by it for sure but 1M fulfills my needs better than the M3.

Maybe next M3/M4 or even the M2 will replace my 1M.

Thought about M135i but don't think it's special enough and by all accounts it's going to be a VERY popular car here in the UK. Too common for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 03:58 AM   #47
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
Unfortunately, you either like it or you don't. You could also say that one does not need the best part 95% of the time i.e. for regular driving. It's not as though the car can't move when it's anything below 7k. One can be in the right gear at a low rpm and it's still on boil.
Although the 1M sound output is tame/domestic compared to the M3 (barking/miffing bulldog vs. howling wolf) and the 1M's power already runs out of breath (more particularly, falls off a cliff) close to 6K rpm, on the one hand, being (cap)able of playing around in the 3K+ rpm belt/zone with the 1M (possibly also without the risk of legal hassle) has fringe pleasure seeking benefits when used as daily driver, on the other hand. No high power demands for unleashing the 1M's fun generator.
      08-22-2012, 04:07 AM   #48
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Although the 1M sound output is tame/domestic compared to the M3 (barking/miffing bulldog vs. howling wolf) and the 1M's power already runs out of breath (more particularly, falls off a cliff) close to 6K rpm, on the one hand, being (cap)able of playing around in the 3K+ rpm belt/zone with the 1M (possibly also without the risk of legal hassle) has fringe pleasure seeking benefits when used as daily driver, on the other hand. No high power demands for unleashing the 1M's fun generator.
Agree, it's a marmite thing at the end of the day, both cars go about putting smiles per miles in different ways. Although, DCT in the M3 goes some way into compensating by having short gear ratios from 2-6.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 07:13 AM   #49
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by HALOTHANE View Post
For me, it was just market timing and a need to move on. I don't like to get attached to posessions, especially cars due to my obsessive personality. And, the 1M was really too dear to risk as a DD. I had it, enjoyed it, and left it in great hands in a great home and playground. My 1M will be missed. Do I regret getting the M3? No. Not for a second. They say a pistonhead has to own at some point in time certain cars. For me, those are a 997, the 1M, an M3, an Aston, a 1950's Jag XK, and....that's the adventure.

One can not be called a "pistonhead" without owning an Alfa! You need to have those wonderful (the Alfa broke down here on me) stories to tell.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 02:51 PM   #50
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
One can not be called a "pistonhead" without owning an Alfa! You need to have those wonderful (the Alfa broke down here on me) stories to tell.
The Alfa Romeo 4C is coming next Summer (and Alfa is also considering a convertible version: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/08/13/a...tible-version/).

Name:  AlfaRomeo_4C_Concept.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  73.1 KB

08-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #51
firechicken99
Major
Rep
Drives: Black '07 335i

Quote:
The Alfa Romeo 4C is coming next Summer (and Alfa is also considering a convertible version:
Wow that thing looks awesome!!! Any word on USD price?

I wish our cars came with harnesses and a sweet wheel
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #52
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheil View Post
Still not sure why you're parting with your 1M for an M3?
Even though OP stated "There are NO GOOD REASONS to sell this car", he's kinda made his opinion about 6MT vs. DCT seem the biggest reason I can see. Even going so far as to saying that hanging onto the 6MT nostalgia is like hanging on to rotary phones. So tech trumps "involvement" in this case and why we'll see the 6MT go the way of the dodo bird.

Name:  6MTrotary.JPG
Views: 409
Size:  32.7 KB
      08-22-2012, 03:50 PM   #53
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by firechicken99 View Post
Wow that thing looks awesome!!! Any word on USD price?
According to http://www.alfaromeo4c.org/alfa-romeo-4c-price.php the Alfa Romeo 4C will be for sale at ± 60K in the US and ± 40K in Europe (± 50K for the GTA version). According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa_Romeo_4C) prices will range between £35K and £40K ($55K-$63K; €41K-€47K).

Only 850 to 900 kg, so expect a pocket-rocket. Time will tell.
      08-22-2012, 04:01 PM   #54
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Metak2you View Post
Even though OP stated "There are NO GOOD REASONS to sell this car", he's kinda made his opinion about 6MT vs. DCT seem the biggest reason I can see. Even going so far as to saying that hanging onto the 6MT nostalgia is like hanging on to rotary phones. So tech trumps "involvement" in this case and why we'll see the 6MT go the way of the dodo bird.
The 1M is even thàt modern that you can't even type "1M" with a vintage Remington typewriter, due to the lack of a "1" key. You got to use the I key.

Name:  Remington_I.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  26.3 KBName:  Remington_M.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  28.4 KB
      08-22-2012, 04:11 PM   #55
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The 1M is even thàt modern that you can't even type "1M" with a vintage Remington typewriter, due to the lack of a "1" key. You got to use the I key.
lol, how the hell do you come up this? Hilarious! Of course it's not just the transmission debate anymore. My E90M3 was MT and no EDC, which some guys are calling "civics" because there is no EDC or ZCP package.
      08-22-2012, 07:09 PM   #56
HALOTHANE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: INTERLAGOS ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Metak2you View Post

Attachment 738763
Nope. I already posted my reasons for selling. If I could keep both I would. I did not prefer the DCT to 6MT. In fact, I have only driven MT's my entire life and love them. Still, I can't help but appreciate the DCT in sequential mode when paired with the S65.....they seem very well suited, and one can't help but think that was the M Engineers intent all along. I only made the comparison to a rotary phone to be facetious, although some on this forum seem to take the debate too personally. 6MT, DCT, whatever, does not matter.

Blanket statements border on fundamentalism, and those who blindly adhere to one camp fail to appreciate everything the automotive world has to offer. Keep your mind open and drive what makes you happy.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #57
HALOTHANE
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The Alfa Romeo 4C is coming next Summer (and Alfa is also considering a convertible version: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/08/13/a...tible-version/).

Attachment 738731

Oh yes! Definitely added to the list!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 10:19 AM   #58
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Blanket statements border on fundamentalism, and those who blindly adhere to one camp fail to appreciate everything the automotive world has to offer. Keep your mind open and drive what makes you happy.
Well, thanks for the advice on keeping my mind "open", but I bought my first SMGII almost 8yrs before your first experience with owning a sequential gearbox. SMGII in my E46M3 for 3years, a SMGIII in an M6 for 6mos, a DCT for several months as well. First impressions is one thing but proper seat time for several years is necessary to make a more meaningful assessment. I would be interested in your opinion in a few years....sincerely.

Quote:
.....I did not prefer the DCT to 6MT. In fact, I have only driven MT's my entire life and love them. ......I only made the comparison to a rotary phone to be facetious.....
So you prefer the 6MT over DCT? I'm confused, you preferred it before you bought the DCT and now you are instantly converted or you just settled for something you did not prefer...? As far as the rotary phone analogy you used, you can right it off as being facetious but it's a totally inaccurate analogy and you can't see how that would comes across insulting, arrogant maybe even a bit ignorant?

I'm sure the '6MT=RotaryPhone' picture I just created will be used for good and evil now that it is out there. I will give you partial credit for the concept!
      08-23-2012, 12:41 PM   #59
HALOTHANE
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Metak2you
Quote:
Well, thanks for the advice on keeping my mind "open", but I bought my first SMGII almost 8yrs before your first experience with owning a sequential gearbox. SMGII in my E46M3 for 3years, a SMGIII in an M6 for 6mos, a DCT for several months as well. First impressions is one thing but proper seat time for several years is necessary to make a more meaningful assessment. I would be interested in your opinion in a few years....sincerely.

Quote:
.....I did not prefer the DCT to 6MT. In fact, I have only driven MT's my entire life and love them. ......I only made the comparison to a rotary phone to be facetious.....
So you prefer the 6MT over DCT? I'm confused, you preferred it before you bought the DCT and now you are instantly converted or you just settled for something you did not prefer...? As far as the rotary phone analogy you used, you can right it off as being facetious but it's a totally inaccurate analogy and you can't see how that would comes across insulting, arrogant maybe even a bit ignorant?

I'm sure the '6MT=RotaryPhone' picture I just created will be used for good and evil now that it is out there. I will give you partial credit for the concept!
Kudos on your rotary phone MT pic. I love it. You can have all the credit. As for DCT vs MT vs SMG, I can only speak from personal experience, as can you. Neither of us are Senna or Schumacher, ok? So let's just try to respect every member's opinion.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 12:45 PM   #60
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

I had a 335is as a loaner a couple of weeks back while one of my turbos was being replaced under warranty (working on the comparison write-up as some folks PMed me about it).

Using the DCT day to day in different modes (Auto/Sport/Manual) made me really appreciate what a great transmission it is.

If the 1M had been offered with one, I think it would have gotten very close to the RS3 in terms of raw acceleration.

I personally like to shift my own stick the old fashioned way, but if I'm in a position to get one of the F80/82 M3's in a few years, I would not complain about DCT.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 02:02 PM   #61
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
....As for DCT vs MT vs SMG, I can only speak from personal experience, as can you. Neither of us are Senna or Schumacher, ok? So let's just try to respect every member's opinion.
Wait, I think you might be reading a different 'tone' from my post than I intended or maybe you are projecting your feelings. Keep in mind you are calling me close-minded and blind and not to mention you 'facetiously' referred the 6MT to a rotary phone. I don't think I was disrespectful to you at all in my posts. My main point is you need more seat time to make a proper comparison and that I am genuinely interested in your impressions/comparison in a couple years. Too many people rush to judgement before the novelty of something new wears off or even worse they argue without ever owning both trannys(I am not saying that is you). Anyways, I've said my peace, looking forward to your 'long term' update in a couple of years.

08-23-2012, 03:28 PM   #62
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
My plan is to pick up a late sixties or early seventies Alfa GTV at some point. I love those cars.
      08-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #63
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Well, the only reason I am considering letting go of this baby is that I have a great opportunity to get into a new 997 4CS. I wish I could keep both, but it's just too much. No rush to sell either. It's a win/win whether I stay in the M or dive into the 997....
Quote:
For me, it was just market timing and a need to move on. I don't like to get attached to possessions, especially cars due to my obsessive personality. And, the 1M was really too dear to risk as a DD. I had it, enjoyed it, and left it in great hands in a great home and playground. My 1M will be missed. Do I regret getting the M3? No. Not for a second. They say a pistonhead has to own at some point in time certain cars. For me, those are a 997, the 1M, an M3, an Aston, a 1950's Jag XK, and....that's the adventure.
About personal driving experiences: how's your M3 compared to the 997 you test drove ?
      08-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #64
HALOTHANE
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
About personal driving experiences: how's your M3 compared to the 997 you test drove ?
The 997 is a great car, but it lacked the feel of the BMW chassis in either the base, S, or 4S models I drove (both 6MT and PDK). Granted this is entirely subjective. It was only the M3 that really compared to the 1M at a price point below $100K. In order to get the same sensation from the Porsches, I suspect you would have to look at GT3 or Turbo 911's, and these are just too expensive and impractical for a DD.

In closing, gentlemen, you have great cars in those little 1M's! Take care of them and enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 03:56 PM   #65
JPMOREY66
Registered
Rep
Drives: 1 M Coupe

Shipping Company Info

Congrats on the new car! Enjoy it.

I have the same question as an earlier poster:

What shipping company did you use, and were you satisfied? How long did they take across country, and how much did they charge?

Looking to ship my 1M about 2200 miles (I'm moving and don't have time to drive it)

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 04:01 PM   #66
Blue55
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

I used JP Logistics. They are based in Los Angeles. They charged $1,800 for a fully enclosed truck to ship about 2,700 miles. It took 12 days. There were no issues and the car was delivered exactly as it was in Florida. They said once they load the car onto the truck it does not come off until it reaches its destination. The car was delivered on a flatbed, so I guess they move it once, but they say the don't consolidate cars and move them on and off trucks. I was very happy overall with the service and they handle a lot of expensive cars. Ask for George.
Appreciate 0