BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-02-2017, 06:21 PM   #1
N54Rob
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i m sport

Lightbulb Need community's help on wheel fitment!

Hey everyone!

I am going to do a build thread soon once I get more parts for my build but I am currently fitting my wheels and I need some input. I will give you the overview.

Car: 2009 135i 6mt with nearly FBO + jb4

I am fitting Rays 57motorsport G07FXX in 18x10 +20 front and rear.

I am starting it with fender flares, which I intend to mould, blend into the lines and paint but not for a couple of months.

The 1m conversion builds I have looked at show people running 19x9.5 +22 front and some even slightly more aggressive and run 265width or 275width tires with no rubbing issues or inner clearance issues.

I did a tireless test fit today on the front and rear using my current wheels, of course they poked like crazy which will be fixed no problems using flares, but what concerned me was the fact that the front inner wheel lip has 75mm vertical clearance under the bottom of the spring perch and it is almost directly under it (where the spring rests at the bottom). If I put on a 285 width tire which is what I want to do and use a square setup, the tire will probably be touching if it even fit. I'm forced to run spacers which I will have to match in the rear and I don't have a problem doing that but why am I so close to the strut/spring when others are fitting similar sizes and I'm only 12mm more pushed in. I don't have my tires yet but even if I bought 275s they wouldn't fit.

Are there coilovers that gets rid of that huge spring perch and thick spring? I am in the market for coilovers as well. This could save me from having to run big spacers.

I will post pictures once I get on my computer

I just wanted to throw it out here that this is NOT a stance car, it will see track time and there will be minimal camber. Only maybe 2-2.5 degrees all around.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 09:11 PM   #2
drunkenup
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i, 2021 F150

What kind of coilovers do you have and are you on the factory strut top hats?

KW's tend to have pretty wide diameter strut tubes, collars and springs. All coilovers are worse, especially in terms of clearance, in use with the factory strut top hat. Because of its height, long story short, you need to have the height adjustment collars at a lower position and closer to the tire/wheel to achieve the same height as the same setup on a real camber plate (not dinans). I'm at a low-ish height and have very good clearance strut side, when I was on dinan plates it was uncomfortably close.