BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-20-2011, 06:47 AM   #1
lamal3
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

My car is in the shop... More than just a HPFP

My car just went into the shop early last week. I brought it in because I had the car go limp 3 times while driving. The funny thing is that it's not even a HPFP issue to begin with. I get a transmission light with an exclaimation mark whenever it happens. It's basically when upon acceleration that the car loses power and then all of a sudden it's stuck in one gear. This problem is very dangerous if you are on a highway. I'm very fortunate that the past 3 times its happened I didn't get into any accident. My car is an 08 bmw 135i. The car was doing fine for about 2 years and just lately it's been going through so many issues. The last three times my car was in the shop, they could not replicate the problem, and so this time they asked me to leave the car with one of the service managers to let them road test the vehicle for a few days and funny enough this happened to them during the test. So now I get a call from BMW stating that they are ordering a new transmission from Germany and that it'll take 2 weeks to arrive here. This is really crazy that this is happening to a $50000.00 car. I'm not sure how long this car will last if problems like this start happening. Has anybody experienced this instead of the common HPFP? What can I do at this moment? Is this a lemon or what?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 10:21 PM   #2
mleskovar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 230i

Wow, transmission replacement without guessing with umpteen parts replacement first. You should be thankful.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 10:33 PM   #3
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamal3 View Post
My car just went into the shop early last week. I brought it in because I had the car go limp 3 times while driving. The funny thing is that it's not even a HPFP issue to begin with. I get a transmission light with an exclaimation mark whenever it happens. It's basically when upon acceleration that the car loses power and then all of a sudden it's stuck in one gear. This problem is very dangerous if you are on a highway. I'm very fortunate that the past 3 times its happened I didn't get into any accident. My car is an 08 bmw 135i. The car was doing fine for about 2 years and just lately it's been going through so many issues. The last three times my car was in the shop, they could not replicate the problem, and so this time they asked me to leave the car with one of the service managers to let them road test the vehicle for a few days and funny enough this happened to them during the test. So now I get a call from BMW stating that they are ordering a new transmission from Germany and that it'll take 2 weeks to arrive here. This is really crazy that this is happening to a $50000.00 car. I'm not sure how long this car will last if problems like this start happening. Has anybody experienced this instead of the common HPFP? What can I do at this moment? Is this a lemon or what?
I own a 128i 2009 and have only experienced this problem on ICE. The car goes strange and exclamation mark appears and stays in one gear. Is this normal? Does the car know when the tires are slipping and engages this behavior?
      03-30-2011, 06:54 AM   #4
lamal3
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satalite View Post
I own a 128i 2009 and have only experienced this problem on ICE. The car goes strange and exclamation mark appears and stays in one gear. Is this normal? Does the car know when the tires are slipping and engages this behavior?
This is definitely not normal for your car to do this. Go have it checked out. I think the lsd should kick in if you slip. I'm no car expert but this shouldn't happen on ice.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 11:21 AM   #5
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

The symbol you describe is the "transmission fail safe mode light"

The transmission detected a fault, shifts into third gear and stays there irrevelant of what you try to do....until you turn it off, and it resets..

BMW does not allow dealers to open up trnasmission, except to replace what we call "valve bodies" or what BMW calls a "mechatronic" ... If the faults are for catostrophic failure or impending failure then BMW authorizes a replacement.. a dealer can not change an auto trans on there own BTW.

Trannys are rare failures... but it happens.. i wouldnt be too beat up about it. oh and BTW also, all BMW transmission replaced under warranty are "remanufactured" >>> do not read into this as used, or some sort of cheap way out.. all the trannys go back to GM or ZF and the cases are gutted, and reused with basically all new components inside... they are legally just not allowed to use the word new..because the case is reused and there are import things and duties and stuff also the benefit them that it is not a "new" part..

The 2 weeks i think is them covering there arse a little too much.. they will get it sooner..
      03-30-2011, 01:58 PM   #6
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamal3 View Post
This is definitely not normal for your car to do this. Go have it checked out. I think the lsd should kick in if you slip. I'm no car expert but this shouldn't happen on ice.
It has only happened once and it was on ICE. Other than that haven't had issues.
      04-09-2011, 07:39 PM   #7
lamal3
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

I just got my car back yesterday and it didnt take two weeks to get the car back but 1 month. It took so long to get back, but it drives the way it should now. On the report it mentions that they exchanged the transmission so I don't think they kept the old one. I checked under the hood to see that they did use new parts. I assume that this repair would be considered major since it took so long to figure out and diagnose. I am pretty amused at how so of the people who work at BMW have no real clue or idea at what they do. Nobody has much knowledge about the job they do, it gets frustrating when you pick up the vehicle to only sign papers and not get real answers from proper people. I'm glad now that my car is working the way it should but I do notice that my oil is only halfway and not full. Is that normal? I only hope that my warranty dosent go out before another major repair comes up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post
The symbol you describe is the "transmission fail safe mode light"

The transmission detected a fault, shifts into third gear and stays there irrevelant of what you try to do....until you turn it off, and it resets..

BMW does not allow dealers to open up trnasmission, except to replace what we call "valve bodies" or what BMW calls a "mechatronic" ... If the faults are for catostrophic failure or impending failure then BMW authorizes a replacement.. a dealer can not change an auto trans on there own BTW.

Trannys are rare failures... but it happens.. i wouldnt be too beat up about it. oh and BTW also, all BMW transmission replaced under warranty are "remanufactured" >>> do not read into this as used, or some sort of cheap way out.. all the trannys go back to GM or ZF and the cases are gutted, and reused with basically all new components inside... they are legally just not allowed to use the word new..because the case is reused and there are import things and duties and stuff also the benefit them that it is not a "new" part..

The 2 weeks i think is them covering there arse a little too much.. they will get it sooner..
Appreciate 0