BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-10-2014, 10:20 PM   #1
Exile
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 alpine white

Trying to prep on every single possible solution to do this weekend to fix my berk race axle back issue.

The pipe is slightly laying on the subframe brace which causes a loud knock and vibration.

I searched all around in here, e90, m board, random others to get an idea. For people who have a vert and added washers as a spacer to drop it a little, how many did you add? Are new bolts really necessary? Was there enough threading to have it secured with the factory bolts?

What is the torque spec for these bolts?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 10:43 AM   #2
dannypwr
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i Vert

I had this prob with Berk street axle back. Had to sell it. When you hit a bump and the suspension compresses your gonna get some scraping or tapping. One crazy thought was to heat the pipe up with a torch and hit it with a bat to dent where the touching occurs. but that was a crazy idea
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 11:19 AM   #3
GarrettF
Former E46Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1987 S52 325is

had the same problem.

My first solution sucked. I wrapped header wrap around that area of the exhaust to create a soft buffer so there was no rattling.

My current solution is working perfectly:

BEND THE MOUNTING POST ON THE EXHAUST DOWN TOWARDS THE FLOOR.

This will raise the exhaust enough to clear the bracing. No rattling, no rubbing, no problems.
2018 G01 X3
2004 B15 Sentra SE-R (daily)
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 12:09 PM   #4
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 370z & 135i

Two quarter inch washers may be enough. If not, bend the brace like Garrett mentions above. It'll work fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 01:10 PM   #5
Exile
Private
United_States
Rep

Yes, some solid responses! Thanks guys. More ideas the better. I was really contemplating on ordering header wrap tonight from amazon to get it by Friday. Figured that's a pretty useless fix since it'll just get shredded over time. I think

I ordered a Perrin 15mm exhaust mount that's for a wrx/sti to see if that'll help raise it up a little bit and reduce sag since the OE mount is somewhat soft.

From comparing images it seems a little shorter in length to our oem mount. So hopefully that give enough room. If not, then I'll try bending the hanger arm down slightly to lift it up more as mentioned.

Last stand would be to put on washers on the cross brace.

Hopefully the perrin mount if not the combination of all three will resolve the issue. Otherwise... Gotta sell it. Sounds so damn awesome, really hoping this works.

Garret, did you just bend the front hanger arm closest to the flange/mid pipe? Or all three?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 11:56 AM   #6
GarrettF
Former E46Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1987 S52 325is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Yes, some solid responses! Thanks guys. More ideas the better. I was really contemplating on ordering header wrap tonight from amazon to get it by Friday. Figured that's a pretty useless fix since it'll just get shredded over time. I think

I ordered a Perrin 15mm exhaust mount that's for a wrx/sti to see if that'll help raise it up a little bit and reduce sag since the OE mount is somewhat soft.

From comparing images it seems a little shorter in length to our oem mount. So hopefully that give enough room. If not, then I'll try bending the hanger arm down slightly to lift it up more as mentioned.

Last stand would be to put on washers on the cross brace.

Hopefully the perrin mount if not the combination of all three will resolve the issue. Otherwise... Gotta sell it. Sounds so damn awesome, really hoping this works.

Garret, did you just bend the front hanger arm closest to the flange/mid pipe? Or all three?

Don't waste time and money on the header wrap.

I bent the flange closest to the midpipe, that was enough for me to clear the bracing. You may need to bend another depending on how you need or want it to fit.

You dont need a different mount, it will fit if you do what I did, there is plenty of room to make it work.

Good luck, let us know how it goes
2018 G01 X3
2004 B15 Sentra SE-R (daily)
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 01:57 PM   #7
Exile
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks, that takes some weight off my shoulders to hear more reinforcement. Been frustrated all week thinking which method will work best.

I will definitely bend the hanger since that is the best option to do first. I'll give the new hanger mount a shot too. Since it's polyurethane it'll be a little bit more stiff to reduce some flex.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 06:52 PM   #8
edavid_92
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarrettF View Post
had the same problem.

My first solution sucked. I wrapped header wrap around that area of the exhaust to create a soft buffer so there was no rattling.

My current solution is working perfectly:

BEND THE MOUNTING POST ON THE EXHAUST DOWN TOWARDS THE FLOOR.

This will raise the exhaust enough to clear the bracing. No rattling, no rubbing, no problems.
Just got my axle back, i want to make sure i know which hanger it is that i need to bend before i try to install it. Is it the short one next to the connection to the midpipe? And how did you bend it?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 10:29 AM   #9
rhodesman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E88 135i

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [10.00]
I have the same exhaust and my mechanic had a great idea that worked and has been working for the past year. Take a hose clamp and wrap it around the rear axle exhaust bushing/hanger. Then tighten, just tighten enough so it pulls the exhaust off the sub-frame cross-member. You're done. That's all you need. Issue is the bushing is too loose (even the one berk ships with the exhaust) but raising it just a little bit, makes all the difference.

I have NEVER had a problem with the berk exhaust since.

Mods: JB4, Trebila Custom tune, FBO, Fuel-It Stg2 LPFP, Berk Street Performance w/ Berk Resonated Midpipes, & lots of little body/OEM+ mods

Last edited by rhodesman; 01-20-2016 at 10:49 AM..
Appreciate 0