BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-20-2011, 02:56 PM   #1
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

blow off valve

I was thinking about getting a blow off valve for my 135 and wanted to see what other people were running and what the best one is to get. Also, are they pretty easy to install?

Any input is appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 04:15 PM   #2
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i,1989 PRO3,2001 530i

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mblaucoupe135 View Post
I was thinking about getting a blow off valve for my 135 and wanted to see what other people were running and what the best one is to get. Also, are they pretty easy to install?

Any input is appreciated!
HKS
Synapse
TiAL Q

these are the most popular. You will need to get a charge pipe with the flange for the BOV kit. The most popular ones on the market are:

Stett, which prefers the TiAL BOV but will machine what flange you prefer if you want to use another BOV

ER - which has many options, no meth bung

HPF BOV kit which is going to be released soon, using the synapse.

Lots of it comes down to personal taste of sound vs loudness of the BOV, all have been shown to perform well. If you are running stock boost then there is no real advantage to charpe pipe/BOV. Terry has actually shown the stock DV set up holds boost well, but other will disagree. Do your homework too cause charge pipe blowing off under load may occur with some of the manufactures of charge pipes out there.
      01-20-2011, 04:36 PM   #3
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mineo77 View Post
HKS
Synapse
TiAL Q

these are the most popular. You will need to get a charge pipe with the flange for the BOV kit. The most popular ones on the market are:

Stett, which prefers the TiAL BOV but will machine what flange you prefer if you want to use another BOV

Lots of it comes down to personal taste of sound vs loudness of the BOV, all have been shown to perform well. If you are running stock boost then there is no real advantage to charpe pipe/BOV. Terry has actually shown the stock DV set up holds boost well, but other will disagree. Do your homework too cause charge pipe blowing off under load may occur with some of the manufactures of charge pipes out there.
Just to clarify ER can come with meth bung if u want; i have one on my ER pipe.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 04:43 PM   #4
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
Just to clarify ER can come with meth bung if u want; i have one on my ER pipe.
cool, thanks!
      01-20-2011, 09:51 PM   #5
Kamal
Indian Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 540i M, '11 Ducati M796

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [7.56]
2011 BMW 328i  [8.00]
Quote:
Do your homework too cause charge pipe blowing off under load may occur with some of the manufactures of charge pipes out there.
Hmm... haven't heard of this before (not spending enough time in the tuning/performance forum)... are certain manufacturers more or less prone to this happening?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 08:34 AM   #6
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
HKS
Synapse
TiAL Q

Thanks for the info. Excuse my ignorance but what exactly does the charge pipe and meth bung do? Also I'm running the stock boost so I'm mainly considering this because of the cool sound it makes.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 08:57 AM   #7
SlicktopTTZ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 91 300ZX Twin-Turbo, 2010 135i

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Excuse my ignorance but what exactly does the charge pipe and meth bung do? Also I'm running the stock boost so I'm mainly considering this because of the cool sound it makes.
If you want cool sound and aren't doing to for it performance, just disconnect the flex pipes going to your diverter-valves at the diverter-valve side, and plug the flex pipes with something air-tight that won't get sucked into your turbo.

This basically turns your diverter valve into a blow-off valve, because it will be dumping to atmosphere instead of your intake.

The other option is to just remove the flex pipes all together and cap off the intake side, would look cleaner that way.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 09:37 AM   #8
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ View Post
If you want cool sound and aren't doing to for it performance, just disconnect the flex pipes going to your diverter-valves at the diverter-valve side, and plug the flex pipes with something air-tight that won't get sucked into your turbo.

This basically turns your diverter valve into a blow-off valve, because it will be dumping to atmosphere instead of your intake.

The other option is to just remove the flex pipes all together and cap off the intake side, would look cleaner that way.
+1
      01-21-2011, 09:39 AM   #9
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
Quote:
dont wanna call some companies out, but if you search around there are some instances with a few charge pipes blowing off...it is likely that this problem has been solved but could happen (not likely under stock boost)

Meth bungs are for if you are running meth, not the ideal set up but works. Ideally you want your meth on your manifold.
      01-21-2011, 02:09 PM   #10
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ View Post

That's interesting, I didn't know you could do this. Will this casue any other problems/issues with the engine, intake, turbos, etc.? I'd rather go this route, since it sounds like it would be a lot cheaper than buying the whole BOV kit. Also, is there a DIY guide for this? It would be helpful for me to be able to see some pics on how to do this, so I don't screw something up!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 11:49 PM   #11
tWinTuRboz
Freshman RaceR
Rep
Drives: BeEMeR 135i

The Overall Picture!

Quote:
That's interesting, I didn't know you could do this. Will this casue any other problems/issues with the engine, intake, turbos, etc.? I'd rather go this route, since it sounds like it would be a lot cheaper than buying the whole BOV kit. Also, is there a DIY guide for this? It would be helpful for me to be able to see some pics on how to do this, so I don't screw something up!
Don't be cheap with this one. If you PM some of the merchants, like Mike at n54tuning, they can hopefully help you out with pricing. Personally, I went for the ER charge pipe with the Tial Q BOV and it was installed within the first hour of me getting it in the mail.
With the help of YouTube, of course. Search up BurgerMotorsport JB3 install vid and it will show you how to take off the top cover in the engine bay ( its the cover closest to your windshield and this gives you more space to work with more than anything, as it is not necessary to do so to install it) then snap off the air filter box (if you don't have something aftermarket already), for me, i took off the stock plenum also. Now the stock diverter valves should be clearly visible, and just just go on and detach them and the stock "chargepipe" and remove the TMAP sensor which is a microchip looking thing thats sorta shaped like a 'T' and place it onto your new chargepipe and remove stock vacuum line (the ER setup had a vacuum line on the BOV already), then go on and install the aftermarket chargepipe into its place, and plug in the vacuum line, and cap off the open slots where the diverter valve was once connected..and put everything back on....thats the overall picture, but its not too bad when its in front of you, and the ER set gave me detailed instructions..no pictures though but you'll live. OH and one last thing get a Oil Catch Can because you'll have oil leaking out of the BOV : other than that the BOV sounds good and if you like something thats more of a mid range pitch when it releases boost then you'll like it. Go HKS if you like the higher pitch sphhhhshshshshpppppp!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 02:58 AM   #12
Novator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 E46 M3

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [8.00]
I'm running the ER charge pipe with Synapse BOV, couldn't be happier. Also ordered it with two meth bungs and had it hard anodized in black. This is a great part and throttle response is much better.
      04-26-2011, 03:37 AM   #13
pwdrtoastman
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

wrong thread sorry
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 08:28 AM   #14
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tWinTuRboz View Post
Don't be cheap with this one. If you PM some of the merchants, like Mike at n54tuning, they can hopefully help you out with pricing. Personally, I went for the ER charge pipe with the Tial Q BOV and it was installed within the first hour of me getting it in the mail.
With the help of YouTube, of course. Search up BurgerMotorsport JB3 install vid and it will show you how to take off the top cover in the engine bay ( its the cover closest to your windshield and this gives you more space to work with more than anything, as it is not necessary to do so to install it) then snap off the air filter box (if you don't have something aftermarket already), for me, i took off the stock plenum also. Now the stock diverter valves should be clearly visible, and just just go on and detach them and the stock "chargepipe" and remove the TMAP sensor which is a microchip looking thing thats sorta shaped like a 'T' and place it onto your new chargepipe and remove stock vacuum line (the ER setup had a vacuum line on the BOV already), then go on and install the aftermarket chargepipe into its place, and plug in the vacuum line, and cap off the open slots where the diverter valve was once connected..and put everything back on....thats the overall picture, but its not too bad when its in front of you, and the ER set gave me detailed instructions..no pictures though but you'll live. OH and one last thing get a Oil Catch Can because you'll have oil leaking out of the BOV : other than that the BOV sounds good and if you like something thats more of a mid range pitch when it releases boost then you'll like it. Go HKS if you like the higher pitch sphhhhshshshshpppppp!
Thanks man for the info, it doesn't sound too bad. I might have to give it a shot!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 09:25 AM   #15
bdoooh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 SSII M5 CP

What if you got the Cobb AP first... or any tuning solution that ups boost and maybe then this is a better investment.. Plus.. with more boost and the intake you have.. you'll hear the blowing off noise the stock diverter valve makes since it re-routes it through the intake and you not having the stock intake box you'll hear that.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 10:10 AM   #16
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoooh View Post
What if you got the Cobb AP first... or any tuning solution that ups boost and maybe then this is a better investment.. Plus.. with more boost and the intake you have.. you'll hear the blowing off noise the stock diverter valve makes since it re-routes it through the intake and you not having the stock intake box you'll hear that.
I hadn't thought about that, but that's a possibility too...
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 02:54 PM   #17
Eminenceo3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Mineral white E93

I have the Active Autowerke BOV and LOVE IT. Its really easy to install. The sound is alot of fun. I love the quality of Active Autowerke's parts. Very nice and well built.
-Malcon

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...t=5ac43ce5.mp4
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 03:53 PM   #18
SpaceG135i
WTF was that, Was it your car?
Rep
Drives: Bmw 135i Space Grey Red Interi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eminenceo3 View Post
I have the Active Autowerke BOV and LOVE IT. Its really easy to install. The sound is alot of fun. I love the quality of Active Autowerke's parts. Very nice and well built.
-Malcon

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...t=5ac43ce5.mp4
+1
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 04:39 PM   #19
Ken@ActiveAutowerke
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMWs

Looking very nice, glad to see another satisfied customer.
Phone: 305.233.9300 Ext. 232 | Fax: 305-253-8921
Become a Fan on Facebook
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 12:43 PM   #20
STETT Performance
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: FAST

Our charge pipes are guaranteed not to blow off and come with either the Tial or Synapse blow off valve. All come standard with 2 meth bungs and are hand-fabricated here in the US!

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 09:50 PM   #21
Rodzilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
AA BOV what i got and I love it!

Eibach frontsway,BMS JB4,AFE Drop InBerk Street Axleback, H&R SPORT SPRINGS,Active Autowerke DP's ,Active Autowerke BOV,Active Autowerke FMIC , BMWPEDALS.COM, JB SPEED Black Grills,Alpina B3 TCU Flash
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 11:39 AM   #22
RnmEvo9
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

It's just 1 bov.
Appreciate 0