BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-10-2011, 10:16 PM   #1
1moreyear35i
Cameron
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 6MT

Horrible gas mileage?

Im sorry if this has been brought up before but i looked everywhere and could not find it. I drive a 135 and occasionally push the car but try to drive moderately in traffic, around the city etc. A little more info: It was purchased used with near 45000 miles on it (no flash/tune present and just had a firmware update as well). Anyways, according to my car I'm getting 15.4 mpg, which is horrible. I've had to fill up my tank 3-4 times in the last week and a half. Im not sure if its due to the way i'm driving or if there is something wrong -- no CEL or SES present either
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 10:22 PM   #2
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
i live in San francisco. driving my car around the city in traffic and up and down all the hills i average around 17-18mpg with a Cobb tune on 91 octane.

I don't have enough information to diagnose why you are getting such poor mpg. 15.4 for a stock car is pretty low.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 10:53 PM   #3
Turbolader
The Fat Stig
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

What is your average commute time (time & miles)

if your typical commute is so short the engine is constantly "cold" then that would explain everything.

I can't remember if these cars have a thermostat I know they can control the temp using the electric water pump, but, if it does have a thermostat, you could run cold all the time (even if your commute is long enough to warm up). Does your heat blow really hot (as in much hotter than outside) air after 10-15 minutes?

Highly doubt it, but a new set of spark plugs might help a little bit. Boosted cars are hard on plugs, and 45k miles is more than I'd want for a set.

If you live in a state that has emissions testing, take itt to a place that will "test" it. EG don't do an official test -- you just want to see the numbers. If you are running rich, then it would show up as very high hydrocarbon (HC) ratings.

Hope this helps!
      08-11-2011, 12:13 AM   #4
calhounboi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I've been keeping a close eye on my mpg lately and I think either there is something wrong with your car or you have a LED foot. I have a JB3 with DCI and AA 3" downpipes, running 93 octane I can average 26mpg with AC on per tank driving like a granny (extremely slow take offs and lots of coasting.) When I drive without mpg in mind, which is a mix of full throttle runs and regular take offs, I average 20mpg.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 12:17 AM   #5
1moreyear35i
Cameron
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbolader View Post
What is your average commute time (time & miles)

if your typical commute is so short the engine is constantly "cold" then that would explain everything.

I can't remember if these cars have a thermostat I know they can control the temp using the electric water pump, but, if it does have a thermostat, you could run cold all the time (even if your commute is long enough to warm up). Does your heat blow really hot (as in much hotter than outside) air after 10-15 minutes?

Highly doubt it, but a new set of spark plugs might help a little bit. Boosted cars are hard on plugs, and 45k miles is more than I'd want for a set.

If you live in a state that has emissions testing, take itt to a place that will "test" it. EG don't do an official test -- you just want to see the numbers. If you are running rich, then it would show up as very high hydrocarbon (HC) ratings.

Hope this helps!
It does blow really hot air for a good while after driving, spirited or not. I run 93 octane and drive maybe 50 miles per day max but definitely never keep it cold .. they replaced an o2 sensor almost a week ago, is that possibly a factor?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 12:24 AM   #6
1moreyear35i
Cameron
United_States
Rep

also Houston is constantly about 104-107 degrees from 10am-5pm if that means anything. I normally do approximately 10 (if i had to guess) 0-80 pulls per day.. the mpg display in my car (instantaneous) also fluctuates up to 99.9 and seems to be all over the place at times..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 01:50 AM   #7
supracg
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135i

You have a lead foot, ten 0-80 pulls a day will do it easy. If your running full throttle a lot, in any car, don't expect good gas mileage. 50 miles a day of spirited driving and you'll be filling up a lot .

A tank gives you about 200 miles, 50 miles a day (plus the air conditioning for that houston heat) means a new tank every 4 days. Thats assuming your driving fairly relaxed, I'd say your situation makes sense.

Last edited by supracg; 08-11-2011 at 01:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 01:56 AM   #8
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M240i LCI

I Have the GIAC tune and if I drive like a grandad with poor eyesight on a long trip I can get between 29 & 30 MPG. to an from work (15 mins each way) during the week I get about 16 - 18 MPG. to and from work and the odd 10 - 20 mile trip and in and out of town I average 18 - 20 MPG
      08-11-2011, 02:46 AM   #9
Kcc
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels with a turbo

Spark plug as mentioned.
what kind of engine oil are you using?
have you check your intake filter? If not, take it out and vacuum the filter and place it back. (see if milage get abit better)
What tire pressure are you running?

I goes 40KM (~25 miles) per day, and I fill up my tank once every 10 to 11 days. 90% city!

I would check the intake filter, they get VERY dirty in no time. 6 months for me, and it feels like 30hp has lost. after I washed my AFE dry filter two days ago, it feels much better with throttle respond. Should give me more miles also.

Kcc
      08-11-2011, 07:38 AM   #10
mblaber
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupe Sedona MT

running rich?

I was having cold start issues and a drop in mileage. Dealer said it was running rich and fixed with software update . Exhaust nozzle is rather dark. Might check that.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 10:23 AM   #11
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1moreyear35i View Post
also Houston is constantly about 104-107 degrees from 10am-5pm if that means anything. I normally do approximately 10 (if i had to guess) 0-80 pulls per day.. the mpg display in my car (instantaneous) also fluctuates up to 99.9 and seems to be all over the place at times..
Why the hell are you wondering why you are getting poor gas mileage then?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 10:35 AM   #12
1moreyear35i
Cameron
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceworkbavaria View Post
Quote:
Because regardless on a stock car, my mpg meter shouldn't be at 12-15 IMO... I'm taking it to BMW in a couple hours just to check it out, maybe clean out the intake and change plugs
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 11:03 AM   #13
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Because regardless on a stock car, my mpg meter shouldn't be at 12-15 IMO... I'm taking it to BMW in a couple hours just to check it out, maybe clean out the intake and change plugs
You said you were getting over 15 mpg, not 12. The car is rated at 20 mpg city and you said you do about 10 pulls to 80 mph a day. What exactly are you expecting?

Put it in auto mode and drive like you have nowhere to be for a day. If you are still getting under about 18, then you might have a problem. Even a Prius is going to get 15 mpg if you are flooring it a ton...
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 11:17 AM   #14
TX78666
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 330i ZHP, N55 135i

I haven't had the car long enough to start driving it like grandpa yet, but I average 21-22 in mostly highway driving. I was averaging 25-26 in my e46, so mine seems a little low. My wife takes the 135 from time to time, and she only really does city driving, so that will drop it some.

The e46 is almost exclusively driven by my wife now, and she likes to hot rod around (I do too, but I am on the highway). She said she is getting 13 in the e46. Apparently, she really likes to hotrod around. So, I could easily see 15.whatever in the 135, depending on driving style.

+1 to anyone who said driving style. If you try driving slower and smoother, and don't see anything much better, then I would start looking at the car for problems.

Last edited by TX78666; 08-11-2011 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: To, too, two
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 11:20 AM   #15
TX78666
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Put it in auto mode and drive like you have nowhere to be for a day.
But, I do the most hotrodding around when I have nowhere to be for a day.
      08-11-2011, 12:41 PM   #16
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
They may check it for codes and ill bet there are none.. they arent going to clean you intake and they arent goonna change your plugs...

Sorry to say the issue is you, and the lack of knowledge about your car.. Please take that with grain assault.

The Instantanious MPG reading is SUPPOSED to go from a low number to 99.9... why... because its INSTANTANIOUS !! it is taking a snap shot in time relative to the current rpm / mph / throttle position and giving you what it would be at that moment in time... for example when you lift the throttle and it slams shut at 90 mph, your not using any fuel ( wort measuring) to coast

also you avergae MPG needs to be reset after every tank full.. WHY?? so it can give you an avergae of your current driving style and not take into consideration the 2 days you spent at the drag strip... for instance and BTW for the record.. my 128 is lucky if it gets 16 with my 11 mile commute 1 way at an average speed of 26 mph !!! BUT when i am driving up to lime rock to go racing im happy to see my 28+ mpg as i cruise up in 6th at 6am and never touch the brake. i reset everything when i get on the track and for my 50 laps i get a whopping 7.5 mpg !!! LOL

There is nothing wrong with the car.. its lack of knowledge of accessory and how it is designed to work, and of course your lead foot.

please let us know if the dealer found anything ...

Regrads,
      08-11-2011, 01:38 PM   #17
1moreyear35i
Cameron
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post
They may check it for codes and ill bet there are none.. they arent going to clean you intake and they arent goonna change your plugs...

Sorry to say the issue is you, and the lack of knowledge about your car.. Please take that with grain assault.

The Instantanious MPG reading is SUPPOSED to go from a low number to 99.9... why... because its INSTANTANIOUS !! it is taking a snap shot in time relative to the current rpm / mph / throttle position and giving you what it would be at that moment in time... for example when you lift the throttle and it slams shut at 90 mph, your not using any fuel ( wort measuring) to coast

also you avergae MPG needs to be reset after every tank full.. WHY?? so it can give you an avergae of your current driving style and not take into consideration the 2 days you spent at the drag strip... for instance and BTW for the record.. my 128 is lucky if it gets 16 with my 11 mile commute 1 way at an average speed of 26 mph !!! BUT when i am driving up to lime rock to go racing im happy to see my 28+ mpg as i cruise up in 6th at 6am and never touch the brake. i reset everything when i get on the track and for my 50 laps i get a whopping 7.5 mpg !!! LOL

There is nothing wrong with the car.. its lack of knowledge of accessory and how it is designed to work, and of course your lead foot.

please let us know if the dealer found anything ...

Regrads,
Thanks for your input, I filled up again this morning, reset everything and found that you were correct. I had been driving the car hard for the first week or so subsequent to its purchase (guess I was excited) and never reset the average mpg. I am still learning about the car and appreciate all the advice/help.

I did speak to the dealer prior to my appointment and he explained everything the same way. Drive slow = good gas mileage and vice versa. Cancelled the appointment and started treating my car the way it should be
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 01:40 PM   #18
1moreyear35i
Cameron
United_States
Rep

And they'll do anything for you (change plugs, clean intake etc.) if your paying out of pocket
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 01:45 PM   #19
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Quote:
Thanks for your input, I filled up again this morning, reset everything and found that you were correct. I had been driving the car hard for the first week or so subsequent to its purchase (guess I was excited) and never reset the average mpg. I am still learning about the car and appreciate all the advice/help.

I did speak to the dealer prior to my appointment and he explained everything the same way. Drive slow = good gas mileage and vice versa. Cancelled the appointment and started treating my car the way it should be
good deal.

Now dont go and not enjoy your car..... just dont expect good gas mileage LOL in reality looking at your avg mpg is like looking at your 401k on a daily basis.... it just doesnt matter.. ( espically with whats happening in the last few days )
      08-11-2011, 01:45 PM   #20
gnpower
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M Sport 135i

I brought my car in a few weeks ago for some acceration shudder issue. They fixed it by cleaning the intake. The sales manager said to start driving the car for what it was built for.
      08-11-2011, 01:50 PM   #21
TX78666
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post
Please take that with grain assault.
Could be my new favorite phrase.
      08-11-2011, 02:04 PM   #22
1moreyear35i
Cameron
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX78666 View Post
But, I do the most hotrodding around when I have nowhere to be for a day.
+1
Appreciate 0