BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
Gnip Gnop
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW Z3 Coupe

Anyone with coilovers, please click

I recently made a thread about springs and now I would like to hear about coilovers.

I have been doing research on my own searching through different brands but I would like to hear first hand experience.

My goal : resonably priced, good ride quality, I do not plan on doing many auto cross events, maybe one or two a year. I won't be going too low, so I don't need a set that will drop it to the ground. If possible I would like to spend a max of $1200, but from what I have seen, that's hard to do.

Suggestions?
      06-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #2
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
i have ST Coilovers (same as KW V1) which imo are perfect for the street. Nice tamed ride and a huge improvement over stock. I dont autox so you may want to pm Harold @ HP autowerks. You may want to wait for Sales specials with your target price. I picked mine up for about 40% discount b/c someone cancelled their order at a local shop. GL.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 02:26 AM   #3
kmli5
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Hi (from Australia),

I just installed Bilstein B14 coilovers in my 130i, and it is very good! Especially when cornering, the turn-in has improved a lot. You can carry so much more speed through the corner and it really inspires your confidence as well. The ride quality is not too bad, it is not as bouncy as stock. You can definitely feel that it is firmer, but the car feels much more fluid going through bumps.

The B14 is only height-adjustable and it will not drop your car to the ground. Your budget is quite easily achievable I think. I ordered mine from Germany and it will definitely save you $$.

Ken
      06-04-2012, 07:31 AM   #4
Grayson
Heisenberg
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Scoop up some KW V1's from SonicMS (aprox. $150 over your budget) or take a look at the group buy section. I know EAS and GTB are doing some specials right now.

AR Catless Downpipes | Berk Full Street Exhaust | HPF FMIC | COBB AP | aFe Magnum Stage 2 | E93 M3 Front Sway Bar & Bushings | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | Hardwired Radar | Eurotek BBS LM | Schmiedmann LCI Blacklines | BMW Performance: Spoiler, Diffuser, Shift Boot, E-Brake
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 08:12 AM   #5
Gnip Gnop
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmli5 View Post
Hi (from Australia),

I just installed Bilstein B14 coilovers in my 130i, and it is very good! Especially when cornering, the turn-in has improved a lot. You can carry so much more speed through the corner and it really inspires your confidence as well. The ride quality is not too bad, it is not as bouncy as stock. You can definitely feel that it is firmer, but the car feels much more fluid going through bumps.

The B14 is only height-adjustable and it will not drop your car to the ground. Your budget is quite easily achievable I think. I ordered mine from Germany and it will definitely save you $$.

Ken
Thanks I will do some research on these!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson View Post
Scoop up some KW V1's from SonicMS (aprox. $150 over your budget) or take a look at the group buy section. I know EAS and GTB are doing some specials right now.
Thanks! I never knew sonic motorsport existed. Great pricing. I thought the ST coilovers were the same as the KW V1's. They are just finished with a different coating that is not rust free, and they only have a 5 year warranty instead of KWNs lifetime warranty.

The ST coilovers are $999. And if I'm going to get the same ride out of each of them, I will just go with the ST to save a few hundred.
      06-04-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

I have STs and I am happy with them. In an ideal world, I'd maybe like them a bit stiffer, but riding around on crappy/rough NJ roads, I do appreciate how compliant they are. I don't mind the slight sacrifice in performance to be more comfortable. When they were first installed, the ride quality was very OEM-like, so for a minute I thought I got swindled. However, when I started taking some turns I realized how much better they are than stock.

They've also survived one (admittedly weak) winter with no visible rust on them. If anyone's worried about that, realize that no Koni shocks and most springs don't have a rust-proof coating either, and lots of people in snowy/salty climates run those.

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 10:10 AM   #7
krawzdogg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [10.00]
I have STs and I am happy with them also. They are slightly stiffer than the OEM set up like 1speedbike said and are great on the roads. I do wish I could make them slightly stiffer as well. I picked mine up from **********s for $900 which is a huge savings from the price of the KW Variant 1.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #8
Gnip Gnop
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawzdogg View Post
I have STs and I am happy with them also. They are slightly stiffer than the OEM set up like 1speedbike said and are great on the roads. I do wish I could make them slightly stiffer as well. I picked mine up from **********s for $900 which is a huge savings from the price of the KW Variant 1.
That's good, 2 positive reviews already! I will check out **********s and likely order a set. I need these installed and the car aligned by june 29th. I will be busy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
I have STs and I am happy with them. In an ideal world, I'd maybe like them a bit stiffer, but riding around on crappy/rough NJ roads, I do appreciate how compliant they are. I don't mind the slight sacrifice in performance to be more comfortable. When they were first installed, the ride quality was very OEM-like, so for a minute I thought I got swindled. However, when I started taking some turns I realized how much better they are than stock.

They've also survived one (admittedly weak) winter with no visible rust on them. If anyone's worried about that, realize that no Koni shocks and most springs don't have a rust-proof coating either, and lots of people in snowy/salty climates run those.
Good to hear you like them. Seeing as it is my daily driver, comfort is my number one priority.

How was the install?
      06-04-2012, 07:44 PM   #9
dfv2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 CTS-V

ST's are 770 from 1xracing.com
      06-04-2012, 10:23 PM   #10
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnip Gnop View Post
How was the install?
Didn't install them myself, but it was a $350 flat rate where I got them installed. Usually about 3-4 hours of labor time. Some coils take up to 6 hours for some reason, even at good shops, but the STs are a breeze supposedly. I don't have a lift or jacks available, or else I would have tried myself. For the average person I'd say it's a full day/weekend job unless you've done it before, have a lift that you can comfortably work under, and/or have friends to help.

And yes, I'm very happy. As I said, if they were a BIT stiffer I would love it on flat, twisty roads, but over bumps I already feel like I'm beating up the car. On big bumps, there isn't as much residual bounce-back so that's actually MORE comfortable, but the sound and stiffness going over bumps and bridge expansion joints makes me actually feel bad for the car until I realize it would be taking this punishment anyway, I just wouldn't be feeling it with the soft shocks. On small bumps/imperfections it's less comfortable, but more composed/controllable. Overall, very happy. I'd want them stiffer if I lived in Germany and had those smooth autobahns, but in the US on crap roads, they're perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfv2 View Post
ST's are 770 from 1xracing.com
That's a steal! I got mine for $999 shipped about a year ago. Thanks for the info.

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 10:27 PM   #11
Gnip Gnop
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
Didn't install them myself, but it was a $350 flat rate where I got them installed. Usually about 3-4 hours of labor time. Some coils take up to 6 hours for some reason, even at good shops, but the STs are a breeze supposedly. I don't have a lift or jacks available, or else I would have tried myself. For the average person I'd say it's a full day/weekend job unless you've done it before, have a lift that you can comfortably work under, and/or have friends to help.

And yes, I'm very happy. As I said, if they were a BIT stiffer I would love it on flat, twisty roads, but over bumps I already feel like I'm beating up the car. On big bumps, there isn't as much residual bounce-back so that's actually MORE comfortable, but the sound and stiffness going over bumps and bridge expansion joints makes me actually feel bad for the car until I realize it would be taking this punishment anyway, I just wouldn't be feeling it with the soft shocks. On small bumps/imperfections it's less comfortable, but more composed/controllable. Overall, very happy. I'd want them stiffer if I lived in Germany and had those smooth autobahns, but in the US on crap roads, they're perfect.

That's a steal! I got mine for $999 shipped about a year ago. Thanks for the info.

Yeah that is a great price!
I think I will go with these, I need to make a decision quick! I will be installing myself over a weekend coming up. Thank you for your input!
      06-05-2012, 02:13 AM   #12
MGallop
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 12' 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [10.00]
i have ST.. very happy with them as well

Matthew Gallop: '12 N55 Mods: JB4 Flex ISO | iCarbon DP | VRSF 5" FMIC | BMS Intake | ER Charge Pipe | Race Axleback | ST Coils | Alufelgen CS7's | iCarbon 3 fin Diffuser |
Blackline LCI | CarbonFiber Spoiler | Orion v4 AE's | 30% tint | red+blk roundels | Cyba Scoops | H-Style front Lip | WeissLicht LED Smoked Sidemarkers | Matte Grills | Coded |
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #13
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

I paid $900 for a brand new ST and I am happy with my choice.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #14
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

KW V1
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #15
Everfly
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Get the ST for $770 and spend the rest on M3 bushings
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 09:31 PM   #16
Gnip Gnop
Lieutenant
Rep

thanks to everyone who has given input, this really helps. I am glad I did not order springs. Coilovers will really set the car off.
      06-05-2012, 10:05 PM   #17
Yito90
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everfly View Post
Get the ST for $770 and spend the rest on M3 bushings
ST for $770?? Where at? Everywhere I checked there are around $900...because if I can find them at that price...looks like that could be an upcoming mod

|| Blacked out Grill || 20% tint all around || BMW Performance Spoiler || Maddad EuroSport Street Exhaust || CF Roof Wrap || Injen Dual Cone Intake ||
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 04:16 AM   #18
kmli5
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnip Gnop View Post
thanks to everyone who has given input, this really helps. I am glad I did not order springs. Coilovers will really set the car off.
Get the best one you can afford. It will save and satisfy you down the track.
      06-06-2012, 06:57 AM   #19
first135
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

I originally ordered eibach springs, but I returned them for kw v1 coilovers. They arrive tomorrow. The front says minimum drop up is 1.2in. Anyone know if that is from Msport package or nonsport stock springs?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 07:46 AM   #20
Gnip Gnop
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by first135 View Post
I originally ordered eibach springs, but I returned them for kw v1 coilovers. They arrive tomorrow. The front says minimum drop up is 1.2in. Anyone know if that is from Msport package or nonsport stock springs?
I am curious about this too
      06-06-2012, 08:00 AM   #21
Gnip Gnop
Lieutenant
Rep

Has anyone heard of "megan racing coilovers". http://www.1xracing.com/megan_racing.../i-520081.aspx

Adjustable dampening, adjustable camber, full height adjustment, all for $800?? That is a wayy better deal than the ST coils.....
      06-06-2012, 09:50 AM   #22
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Other than ride height adjustment, I struggle to see why anyone would want this over a matched shock / spring kit.

I had st V1 on my 335i and thought the ride was not good. It was not terrible, but was bouncier than stock and stiffer than stock. It also didnt really handle any better.

I drove a proper matched spring and shock combo on a 135 and it rode signficantly better.

I do not understand cheap coilover kits.