BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-02-2014, 06:07 PM   #45
Chunner
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is | #341/586

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by w3rkn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrom - So you literally just took their word for everything they said? I noticed you have nothing but BMW and Dinan parts. Do you by chance get paid to kiss their ass so hard, or do you just believe everything companies sell you? I've got an AMS intercooler waiting to go into my car, but I can slap a dinan sticker on it and tell you it'll make 84 TQ if you want to buy it for $3k?
Quote:
Bro, some people are hobbyists.. others are drivers. Juice Box is for people who lease and want to pose. DINAN is for people who don't want to mess around and are going to abuse their car at the track.

Terry Burger doesn't work with the ECU, he lies to it... educate yourself.
+ 1
Woah! Somebody through down the gauntlet. Koolaid anybody? lol
2013 BMW 135is Coupe | Dinan Stage 3 | M3 Subframe Bushings | Dinan Monoball Joints | Dinan Toe Links | 1M Strut Bar | MPS AS/3 - VMR 710's 18x8.5 ET45 / 18x9.5 ET50 | MPSS - BMW 313's 18x7.5 / 18x8.5 | Min Grey, Savanna | Prem, Tech | DCT | Beast #341/586 |

2021 BMW X7 M50i | Alpine White | Children Hauler
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 06:56 PM   #46
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Bro, some people are hobbyists.. others are drivers. Juice Box is for people who lease and want to pose. DINAN is for people who don't want to mess around and are going to abuse their car at the track.

Terry Burger doesn't work with the ECU, he lies to it... educate yourself.

LOL. I've never leased a car in my life. I'm both a hobbyist and a driver. A true driver wouldn't be satisfied overpaying for a brand name like a fashion statement. I true driver would understand that more performance is appreciated and well used. Someone happy pushing 13psi or whatever dinan tunes get you for $2k is just driving around posing in my eyes. Why pay more for less other than to show off? Got that gucci headliner on there too bro?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 07:13 PM   #47
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

So how many pages of posts do we need to get to before you comment on the statement about removing juice boxes being too hard for warranty work...yet you'd have to remove your downpipes and dinan turbos, since they carry no warranty.

Just going to ignore that one forever are we? Paying double to void your warranty just like the other aftermarket options that make more power...but hey they don't get you cool points for a sweet performance badge. I mean without that how will everyone know what a sucker you are?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 07:36 PM   #48
Chunner
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrom View Post
So how many pages of posts do we need to get to before you comment on the statement about removing juice boxes being too hard for warranty work...yet you'd have to remove your downpipes and dinan turbos, since they carry no warranty.
You would get more civilized responses but when you come off so crass. Nobody cares and I think, would ever waste their time and give you the responses you seek. I am not insulting you. There is truly no punn intended. It is simply my opinion about you.
2013 BMW 135is Coupe | Dinan Stage 3 | M3 Subframe Bushings | Dinan Monoball Joints | Dinan Toe Links | 1M Strut Bar | MPS AS/3 - VMR 710's 18x8.5 ET45 / 18x9.5 ET50 | MPSS - BMW 313's 18x7.5 / 18x8.5 | Min Grey, Savanna | Prem, Tech | DCT | Beast #341/586 |

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 07:43 PM   #49
Donny Rino1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw 330 2006

So sad when this back and forth bullshit happens
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 08:32 PM   #50
JTB
Private First Class
Rep

This is a simple matter of believing in, or wanting to believe in, what you have purchased. Dinan is a minority due to the cost. The problem is that Dinan buyers have a tendency to act as if they are superior because they have spent more money, almost more passionately so as they spent considerably more. I should also mention that, deep down, they know there are better, more cost effective solutions. This, however, is repressed and the agitation this causes bubbles forth in the forums as zealotry.

Personally I do believe that some Dinan components are well developed and cool - especially for the E39 M5. As with any tuner you have to review their offerings and choose what works. For me, and I consider myself a driver, my path is elsewhere.
2009 135i - let the modding begin!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 10:06 AM   #51
w3rkn
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrom View Post
LOL. I've never leased a car in my life. I'm both a hobbyist and a driver. A true driver wouldn't be satisfied overpaying for a brand name like a fashion statement. I true driver would understand that more performance is appreciated and well used. Someone happy pushing 13psi or whatever dinan tunes get you for $2k is just driving around posing in my eyes. Why pay more for less other than to show off? Got that gucci headliner on there too bro?
Ignorance is bliss..

If you think tuning is all about 13PSI and not what an engine does at that 13psi, then all the power to you. You should install two juice boxes on your rider and really pimp that tune.. doubled juiced!!

My friend, it is not all about horsepower, but about perfect stoic and cooling. Max HP is only needed when you live in California and drag race on the streets. Max HP does nothing for you at the track, where load & torque matter.. & durability.

The mere fact you dig on the DINAN tune, illustrates you have no clue what a real tune is, or does to an engine.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 10:46 AM   #52
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

I say let people mod their car however they want. I don't understand the bashing from either side and it is really quite embarrassing. I would assume we are all somewhat successful to be able to afford BMWs but reading these threads (not just for the 1 series...but all BMW s) you would think we all are a bunch of 12 year olds. So what if someone wants to pay more for less power...it is their car and it gives them a piece of mind. Good for them. And who cares if someone else wants to build an 800hp monster that could explode at any minute! Great! We all have different wants and needs...you can state facts and give your reasoning to what you have but putting people down for not doing the same thing that you do is just childish. I laugh when people try to define what a true driver/enthusiast is. In this thread alone I have seen two definitions; a true driver wants the piece of mind of a dinan so they can track then take straight to the dealer, and, a true driver would rather make more power for cheap. Which one is right? You both are.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 10:50 AM   #53
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Ignorance is bliss..

If you think tuning is all about 13PSI and not what an engine does at that 13psi, then all the power to you. You should install two juice boxes on your rider and really pimp that tune.. doubled juiced!!

My friend, it is not all about horsepower, but about perfect stoic and cooling. Max HP is only needed when you live in California and drag race on the streets. Max HP does nothing for you at the track, where load & torque matter.. & durability.

The mere fact you dig on the DINAN tune, illustrates you have no clue what a real tune is, or does to an engine.
I would agree with this...and having more power on our short wheelbased 1 series makes it hard to control. I have a hard time controlling my 1M at times and this is with stock power.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 09:47 PM   #54
Chunner
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
I say let people mod their car however they want. I don't understand the bashing from either side and it is really quite embarrassing. I would assume we are all somewhat successful to be able to afford BMWs but reading these threads (not just for the 1 series...but all BMW s) you would think we all are a bunch of 12 year olds. So what if someone wants to pay more for less power...it is their car and it gives them a piece of mind. Good for them. And who cares if someone else wants to build an 800hp monster that could explode at any minute! Great! We all have different wants and needs...you can state facts and give your reasoning to what you have but putting people down for not doing the same thing that you do is just childish. I laugh when people try to define what a true driver/enthusiast is. In this thread alone I have seen two definitions; a true driver wants the piece of mind of a dinan so they can track then take straight to the dealer, and, a true driver would rather make more power for cheap. Which one is right? You both are.
+1 Bump well thought and stated!

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 01:36 AM   #55
cbl117
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 e92 335i

Quote:
Ignorance is bliss..

As a fellow Dinan guy...I'm loving this thread lol. Darkrom shit all over my thread a few months ago because I posted a dyno plot. In fact every Dinan thread has darkrom shitting in it

Give it up brah!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 08:02 AM   #56
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 Sedan, E88 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTB View Post
Personally I do believe that some Dinan components are well developed and cool - especially for the E39 M5. As with any tuner you have to review their offerings and choose what works. For me, and I consider myself a driver, my path is elsewhere.
I find this comment interesting, and I wasn't going to ever post in this thread because I don't have a Dinan tune or a JB4, but it's taken a turn for the philosophical, hasn't it? The only opinion I'd like to add is that for the vast majority of 1-series owners, money *IS* an object, that is to say, if we had some unlimited fountain of loose cash to spend on our frivolities, we would probably own more exotic and more powerful vehicles from the start than a 1-series or 1M will ever be. That said, the very nature of the 1M, 135 (heck all 1-series) cars is that they are considered to be "bang for the buck" cars, and for some, it would seem silly to spend so many thousands of additional dollars to get less bang for your buck, when your initial investment (the 1) is in keeping with the traditions of high performance/low budget.

Some people will never be able to fully comprehend what makes one person spend money on something they would never; in the same way a skinny person won't ever comprehend how an obese person gained so much weight, or in the way a drug addict sees a sober person and wonders how it's possible they don't use every day.

If money was not an object to you, and you owned a more exotic BMW, say an M5, or heck let's take it to the extreme, a Veyron - would you use a product like the JB4, or would you spend the extra cash to get something that was more expensive and maintained a little bit more of the integrity of what the original manufacturer was aiming for? I guess it's a question that is purely hypothetical, but nevertheless, something to think about.

We're the type of people who are always going to want to modify our cars, no matter what they roll out of the factory with. Matt LeBlanc said it best on Top Gear when asked about modding his Porsche - "I don't like the idea that a guy can just go down to the dealership and get the same car as me." We all want to feel special, and for some people spending more makes them feel that way, for some people, spending less makes them feel that way. It's an interesting dichotomy, and I think is more one worth celebrating than debating!

Just my $.05

E88 Crimson Red Vert MSport 6MT - Listing your mods in your signature is lame.
BMS DCI/MHD E30 Flash!!/AA Sport FMIC/VRSF CP w Tial BOV/VRSF 3" DPs/550i clutch w SPEC SMFW/Apex EC-7s/Whiteline RSFB/E92 M3 FCAs/Bilstein B12 Pro Kit/VRSF inlets
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 01:05 PM   #57
Chunner
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbl117 View Post
As a fellow Dinan guy...I'm loving this thread lol. Darkrom shit all over my thread a few months ago because I posted a dyno plot. In fact every Dinan thread has darkrom shitting in it

Give it up brah!
Darkrom's just full of shit. That is why he shitted all over your thread. I remember. Nevertheless, I do not get peeps like him. You spend $50,000 or so on a new car and then you spend $500 bucks to mod it. Then it breaks and wonder why BMW says screw you and on top of that, these koolaid juice box guys rag on Dinan's engineering. What...ever....s.... I say, to each there own.

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 01:11 PM   #58
Chunner
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by edisapimp View Post
I find this comment interesting, and I wasn't going to ever post in this thread because I don't have a Dinan tune or a JB4, but it's taken a turn for the philosophical, hasn't it? The only opinion I'd like to add is that for the vast majority of 1-series owners, money *IS* an object, that is to say, if we had some unlimited fountain of loose cash to spend on our frivolities, we would probably own more exotic and more powerful vehicles from the start than a 1-series or 1M will ever be. That said, the very nature of the 1M, 135 (heck all 1-series) cars is that they are considered to be "bang for the buck" cars, and for some, it would seem silly to spend so many thousands of additional dollars to get less bang for your buck, when your initial investment (the 1) is in keeping with the traditions of high performance/low budget.

Some people will never be able to fully comprehend what makes one person spend money on something they would never; in the same way a skinny person won't ever comprehend how an obese person gained so much weight, or in the way a drug addict sees a sober person and wonders how it's possible they don't use every day.

If money was not an object to you, and you owned a more exotic BMW, say an M5, or heck let's take it to the extreme, a Veyron - would you use a product like the JB4, or would you spend the extra cash to get something that was more expensive and maintained a little bit more of the integrity of what the original manufacturer was aiming for? I guess it's a question that is purely hypothetical, but nevertheless, something to think about.

We're the type of people who are always going to want to modify our cars, no matter what they roll out of the factory with. Matt LeBlanc said it best on Top Gear when asked about modding his Porsche - "I don't like the idea that a guy can just go down to the dealership and get the same car as me." We all want to feel special, and for some people spending more makes them feel that way, for some people, spending less makes them feel that way. It's an interesting dichotomy, and I think is more one worth celebrating than debating!

Just my $.05
More then just a nickle. Very well written. Thank you for taking the time to write your post. Thank you.

This maybe wishful thinking.... Perhaps those juicyfruit koolaid box guys can now keep their antagonistic and unproductive comments to themselves.

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 02:52 PM   #59
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunner View Post
Darkrom's just full of shit. That is why he shitted all over your thread. I remember. Nevertheless, I do not get peeps like him. You spend $50,000 or so on a new car and then you spend $500 bucks to mod it. Then it breaks and wonder why BMW says screw you and on top of that, these koolaid juice box guys rag on Dinan's engineering. What...ever....s.... I say, to each there own.

OR you spend $500 and it DOESN'T break, outperforms the dinan and adds additional features. I still can't find an example of anything dinan does "better" without using buzzwords you picked up in sales pitches. "the engineering bro". JB4 is well tested. Cobb is well tested. Both are better than dinan in every way other than they don't give you points to buy a badge so you can show everyone how cool they are.

Answer this, what does dinan do better? SHOW me something they do better than either JB4 or Cobb. You make claims about cooling, seems based on nothing to me. Show me the IATs of the JB4 vs Cobb vs dinans one time flash that you are basing these claims on. Show literally ANY piece of evidence that dinan does anything better than ANY of the competitors. Until that happens you are just spewing marketing back up.

JB4 and cobb are both cheaper and have better performance and additional features that a simple one time reflash won't/can't have. So now present an actual argument of why you feel dinan is worth the price gauging and lackluster performance please.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 03:13 PM   #60
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 Sedan, E88 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunner View Post
More then just a nickle. Very well written. Thank you for taking the time to write your post. Thank you.

This maybe wishful thinking.... Perhaps those juicyfruit koolaid box guys can now keep their antagonistic and unproductive comments to themselves.
I wasn't taking sides, just mentioning that there are many differing points of view that people will fervently cling to when they believe their viewpoint to be the correct one.

E88 Crimson Red Vert MSport 6MT - Listing your mods in your signature is lame.
BMS DCI/MHD E30 Flash!!/AA Sport FMIC/VRSF CP w Tial BOV/VRSF 3" DPs/550i clutch w SPEC SMFW/Apex EC-7s/Whiteline RSFB/E92 M3 FCAs/Bilstein B12 Pro Kit/VRSF inlets
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 07:01 PM   #61
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

10-05-2014, 07:18 PM   #62
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

10-05-2014, 07:54 PM   #63
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Max HP is only needed when you live in California and drag race on the streets.
Most people who live in California don't think they're in a fast & furious movie. I've lived here all my life and never drag raced and most people that I know that live here haven't either. The number of people who do drag race here is probably more or less the same as every other state.
      10-05-2014, 07:56 PM   #64
PeteA
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30, E82

I have a JB4, don't like it. My idle fluctuates at idle and that annoys me. I like the flex fuel and the steering wheel controls, but ultimately I just want a tune that returns correct fuel mixtures and doesn't use the knock sensor to adjust timing. It's good I suppose, but It's not integrated how I would have liked it to be and it also doesn't let me use my AWRON guage as it makes my CAN busy

Cobb IMO is the better solution, so will just have to wait until that comes along someday.

Dinan Stage 3 is something I'm going for in two weeks. I also plan on doing the N55 compressor upgrade once that gets released. For me anything more than 450 crank hp is too much for the 1 series chassis on a dual duty street/track car. All I'd need to purchase is the turbo itself and install it. I doubt stage 3->4 tune will cost much more.

Last edited by PeteA; 10-05-2014 at 08:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 08:04 PM   #65
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Oh you silly kids and your cars that accelerate in a straight line.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 05:02 PM   #66
machspeed
Rep
Drives: 2011 1m black Dinan stage 4

None of you people are tuners or engineers. It takes teams of both to develope quality software. If you want to rely on someone with no credentials like JB4, cobb or vishnu, thats fine but I'm surprised that you think your opinion is gospel. If you like cheap shit, sell your Bimmer and buy hyundai.
Appreciate 0