BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-03-2014, 11:45 AM   #23
loesch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal_Aviator View Post
Have you had any idle issues running the Dinan Stage 2 flash combined with your downpipes?

There is a lengthy thread on this site about people with downpipes and stalling/idle problems. I am considering a Dinan stage 2 with cat back exhaust and downpipes but that thread made me very worrisome.

I love downpipes on turbo cars but the fact that most piggy back systems and Dinan do not incoporate software to compensate for downpipes worries me. Adding downpipes to a turbo car changes the flow characteristics and air fuel ratios quite a bit which combined with a software "flash" that doesnt take this into effect can lead to lean mixture right?

On my Nissan GTR, adding downpipes made a HUGE change to air flow and this required large changes to injector flow to compensate for a safe air fuel ratio otherwise the car will run extremely lean. Downpipes= tune mandatory. I know these are two totally different cars but how do you compensate for the downpipes?
The DME in these cars compensates for all kinds of intake and exhaust flow changes. It has set targets for AFR and will compensate to keep the engine within range. That's why we need a flash when we start pushing lots of boost. The DME still thinks we should be having an AFR of 15.5 tapering to 13 when we should be more like 13.5 tapering to 12. I'm not sure where the rough idle stuff is coming from with DPs. I didn't notice any difference.
2011 135i M Sport 6MT LeMans Blue | Active Autowerke Gen II axle back | Berk d******* | N54 gutted mids | FuelIt Walbro 450 fuel pump | Pure Turbos Stage 2 | 3.5bar TMAP | Pure Turbos inlet pipe | BMS intake | BMS oil catch can | ETS intercooler | ETS charge pipe | BMS JB4 w/ ISO firmware | BMS backend flash stacked on PPK | Eibach springs | Whiteline rear subframe bushing inserts | cosmetic tidbits
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 11:52 AM   #24
Socal_Aviator
Rep
Drives: 2012 Black BMW 135i, 2011 GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by loesch View Post
The DME in these cars compensates for all kinds of intake and exhaust flow changes. It has set targets for AFR and will compensate to keep the engine within range. That's why we need a flash when we start pushing lots of boost. The DME still thinks we should be having an AFR of 15.5 tapering to 13 when we should be more like 13.5 tapering to 12. I'm not sure where the rough idle stuff is coming from with DPs. I didn't notice any difference.
thanks for the explanation. In the GTR world once downpipes are added a custom dyno tune/e-tune and bigger injectors is mandatory as the Ecu can only compensate 20% max in any direction.

So people with Dinan software tunes compensate for downpipes just by letting the car's DME compensate for the added flow? I understand JB4 already has the compensation built in but how do DInan people get away with it and also get rid of the CEL light?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 06:18 PM   #25
NORAGRETS
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP BSM 2012 E82 1

Garage List
Quote:
Have you had any idle issues running the Dinan Stage 2 flash combined with your downpipes?

There is a lengthy thread on this site about people with downpipes and stalling/idle problems. I am considering a Dinan stage 2 with cat back exhaust and downpipes but that thread made me very worrisome.

I love downpipes on turbo cars but the fact that most piggy back systems and Dinan do not incoporate software to compensate for downpipes worries me. Adding downpipes to a turbo car changes the flow characteristics and air fuel ratios quite a bit which combined with a software "flash" that doesnt take this into effect can lead to lean mixture right?

On my Nissan GTR, adding downpipes made a HUGE change to air flow and this required large changes to injector flow to compensate for a safe air fuel ratio otherwise the car will run extremely lean. Downpipes= tune mandatory. I know these are two totally different cars but how do you compensate for the downpipes?

None what-so-ever...runs perfectly aside from the SES light caused by the catless DP. I have a JB Can Tool set on auto clear for that though...only pain in the ass is inspection...because im 2012 I cant find jack shit that will allow me to bypass the 02 and catalyst monitor "ready" status on the OBD2 test...

No problems with the set up though.

Oh and it sounds MEANNNN. I get a ton of compliments. And I also get a few people who think its obnoxious...

I have the Berk resonated mid pipes on now, before I had the n-55 mids w/o resonators and it was just stupid drone on the highway and startups set off car alarms in my garage...planning on putting another resonator just after the DP or between the mids and the cat-back

RIP - E82 135i - 7/7/2021
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 06:21 PM   #26
NORAGRETS
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
agreed

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 06:28 PM   #27
Socal_Aviator
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twhill19 View Post
None what-so-ever...runs perfectly aside from the SES light caused by the catless DP. I have a JB Can Tool set on auto clear for that though...only pain in the ass is inspection...because im 2012 I cant find jack shit that will allow me to bypass the 02 and catalyst monitor "ready" status on the OBD2 test...

No problems with the set up though.

Oh and it sounds MEANNNN. I get a ton of compliments. And I also get a few people who think its obnoxious...

I have the Berk resonated mid pipes on now, before I had the n-55 mids w/o resonators and it was just stupid drone on the highway and startups set off car alarms in my garage...planning on putting another resonator just after the DP or between the mids and the cat-back
If I choose to install downpipes with a Dinan Stage 2 tune what do you think about using an O2 emulator/simulator to prevent the CEL (SES) light from coming on? Www.magnumtuning.com sells one for 70 bucks. Will that or something similar remove the SES light?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 06:59 PM   #28
AyJay87
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT Le Mans Blue

Just ppk1 for now. Would love to move on to a Dinan tune in the future. But I may try FBO next.
https://www.instagram.com/the_driving_gallery/ '12 135i DCT Le Mans Blue * M Sport Package * BMW Performance Exhaust * PPK 1 * ST Coilovers * Cobb Sway Bars * Dinan Camber Plates * VMR V705 Wheels * Michelin PSS
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 08:55 PM   #29
NORAGRETS
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If I choose to install downpipes with a Dinan Stage 2 tune what do you think about using an O2 emulator/simulator to prevent the CEL (SES) light from coming on? Www.magnumtuning.com sells one for 70 bucks. Will that or something similar remove the SES light?
Im trying to do that now...my service advisor actually was the one who suggested it haha. I havent really looked into it enough...just briefly, but I havent seen anyone who has done it successfully on our cars...

Im interested in doing it though...maybe we can be the 1st's

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 10:28 PM   #30
Socal_Aviator
Rep

Quote:
Im trying to do that now...my service advisor actually was the one who suggested it haha. I havent really looked into it enough...just briefly, but I havent seen anyone who has done it successfully on our cars...

Im interested in doing it though...maybe we can be the 1st's

Call me OCD but there is no way I will allow my wife's daily driver to be driven around with a check engine light on all the time. What if a "real" more serious issue arises but we don't know about it because CEL is already on from an aftermarket downpipe. I might just skip the DP alltogether if I don't get any definitive answers.

Seems like the technology evolution has been a bit slow on this car. The GTR world is running 7sec 1/4 miles and 1000hp/torque builds for less than 20k and we're still sitting here wondering how to make a CEL go away for a downpipe.

Either way Im determined to find an easycheap solution. A member a few posts back mentioned something about a unit that does the job
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 10:40 PM   #31
NORAGRETS
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Call me OCD but there is no way I will allow my wife's daily driver to be driven around with a check engine light on all the time. What if a "real" more serious issue arises but we don't know about it because CEL is already on from an aftermarket downpipe. I might just skip the DP alltogether if I don't get any definitive answers.

Seems like the technology evolution has been a bit slow on this car. The GTR world is running 7sec 1/4 miles and 1000hp/torque builds for less than 20k and we're still sitting here wondering how to make a CEL go away for a downpipe.

Either way Im determined to find an easycheap solution. A member a few posts back mentioned something about a unit that does the job

the auto clear setting on JB4's and the BMS can tool just eliminates the SES light from the DP...if something ELSE serious happens, regardless if auto clear is on, the light will STILL come on...it has no effect on the lights

i mean...a GTR is a GTR...Japanese cars have TONS of parts that are usually cheaper...european cars, at least bmw's, the newer models are coded to frustrate tuners and all that jazz...emission rules in the EU are strict and thats part of the reason...at least to my knowledge

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 10:02 PM   #32
Socal_Aviator
Rep

Quote:
the auto clear setting on JB4's and the BMS can tool just eliminates the SES light from the DP...if something ELSE serious happens, regardless if auto clear is on, the light will STILL come on...it has no effect on the lights

i mean...a GTR is a GTR...Japanese cars have TONS of parts that are usually cheaper...european cars, at least bmw's, the newer models are coded to frustrate tuners and all that jazz...emission rules in the EU are strict and thats part of the reason...at least to my knowledge
Thanks for the explanation. Can the BMS tool to clear the code work in conjunction with a Dinan software tuning solution?

Yeah it appears the BMW ecu hacking is a whole different world of complexity. Glad to know there are still ways to tune. Im shocked there are so few people with real custom dyno tunes. Most people driving around with off-the -shelf maps. Pretty cool that the OEM computer can compensate so much.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 02:26 AM   #33
loesch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i M Sport

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation. Can the BMS tool to clear the code work in conjunction with a Dinan software tuning solution?

Yeah it appears the BMW ecu hacking is a whole different world of complexity. Glad to know there are still ways to tune. Im shocked there are so few people with real custom dyno tunes. Most people driving around with off-the -shelf maps. Pretty cool that the OEM computer can compensate so much.
The 2012+ ECUs haven't been cracked by tuners yet so lots of the variables aren't able to be altered just yet. The best tunes so far seem to be the piggy back tunes that fake the inputs so tons of boost can be made. These mostly ride off the knock sensors so there isn't much tuning involved really.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 02:46 PM   #34
Socal_Aviator
Rep

Quote:
The 2012+ ECUs haven't been cracked by tuners yet so lots of the variables aren't able to be altered just yet. The best tunes so far seem to be the piggy back tunes that fake the inputs so tons of boost can be made. These mostly ride off the knock sensors so there isn't much tuning involved really.
Sheesh.."riding off the knock sensors?" My experience with tuning only comes from the Nissan world and as far as I have been told by tuners even 1% knock detection is unacceptable. 0 knock value is the only acceptable value.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 06:10 PM   #35
aloksatoor
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Carrera S PDK

ANy idea when the cobb tune for the 2012 plus cars is gonna arrive?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 07:26 PM   #36
sparkyblue
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i & F80 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Cobb Tuned for 3+ years now, zero tune related issues.

First Stage1, then Stage2, then Stage 2+.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 10:18 AM   #37
NORAGRETS
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloksatoor View Post
ANy idea when the cobb tune for the 2012 plus cars is gonna arrive?
never....

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 12:26 PM   #38
aloksatoor
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Spoke to their support, seems like my car squeaked through, the model year was 2012 but built in 2011 nov so it had the compatible DMU.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 04:12 PM   #39
Socal_Aviator
Rep

I stopped by Cobb earlier this week and was delighted to find out their software is supported by my car (2012 built in 2011). So stoked!

Just did the Stage 1 flash. Definite improvement in performance.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 05:19 PM   #40
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloksatoor View Post
Spoke to their support, seems like my car squeaked through, the model year was 2012 but built in 2011 nov so it had the compatible DMU.
Quote:
I stopped by Cobb earlier this week and was delighted to find out their software is supported by my car (2012 built in 2011).
I have a July 2011 build date, so I will be going Cobb as well when I am ready to tune.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 11:37 PM   #41
excesss
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyblue View Post
Cobb Tuned for 3+ years now, zero tune related issues.

First Stage1, then Stage2, then Stage 2+.
Did you use the tune that came with the Cobb or did you have a custom tune?

Because of this thread, I just realized that I might have an option other than the Dinan. The build date for my 2012 is 05/2011!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 02:51 PM   #42
aloksatoor
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by excesss View Post
Did you use the tune that came with the Cobb or did you have a custom tune?

Because of this thread, I just realized that I might have an option other than the Dinan. The build date for my 2012 is 05/2011!
you can mail cobb ur vin number and they can tell u.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 09:30 PM   #43
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Quote:
so, have you dyno'ed or 1/4 mile'd the car w the stage 3? interested to see how it stacks up...

obviously the torque #'s are good for off the line and acceleration, but the hp cant be THAT different
There is a Dinan Sage 3 run on Drag Times right behind a JB4 tune only run. Both are 335is. generally 12.5 but the Dinan was down on power 114 to 108mph. It is one of the only stage 3 runs I have seen posted. Have not noticed any Stage 2 runs posted.

Quote:
Nope, I have not dynoed or 1/4 miled the car and do not ever plan to. The Dinan specs I quoted for you are straight from the Dinan website. I would think they are accurate.
Unfortunately this looks to be pretty common for Dinan tunes. People want to take Dinan as promotional advertising as gospel & are unwilling to put it to the test. Maybe with the amount invested its better not to know.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 10-12-2014 at 09:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 11:58 PM   #44
NORAGRETS
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Quote:
so, have you dyno'ed or 1/4 mile'd the car w the stage 3? interested to see how it stacks up...

obviously the torque #'s are good for off the line and acceleration, but the hp cant be THAT different
There is a Dinan Sage 3 run on Drag Times right behind a JB4 tune only run. Both are 335is. generally 12.5 but the Dinan was down on power 114 to 108mph. It is one of the only stage 3 runs I have seen posted. Have not noticed any Stage 2 runs posted.

Quote:
Nope, I have not dynoed or 1/4 miled the car and do not ever plan to. The Dinan specs I quoted for you are straight from the Dinan website. I would think they are accurate.
Unfortunately this looks to be pretty common for Dinan tunes. People want to take Dinan as promotional advertising as gospel & are unwilling to put it to the test. Maybe with the amount invested its better not to know.
I ran my Dinan stage 2 about 20 times at the track. It's a bad track and ALWAYS hard to hook up...

My best was a 12.7xx or a 12.6xx I forget...let's call it 12.7. Other than that was generally 13.000-13.5xxx. MPSS and all the goodies in my signature on the car.

Want to take another crack at it with stage 3 in the next few weeks...also had a short shifter put in recently and planning for an OS gliken LSD so hoping those add ons bring me down to consistent 12.5xx range or maybe below...

Appreciate 0