03-17-2013, 03:16 AM   #1
lightning
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 1M Pure S2

Any tips for dragging?

Hi guys,

i need some advice. i'm currently on Evolve Stage 1, Michelin PSS, Akra Evo, ER charge pipe w Tial BOV. and I am facing very bad traction issues during drag races. I know that our cars have the power but can't put the power down.

The wheel spin is too much to the extent that when i change to gear 2, the car goes sideways..

Is there anything that we can do to increase traction and decrease the skidding/wheelspin?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

My advice: Get rid of the tune! Instead put a FMIC, a high flow air filter and catless downpipes to your otherwise fine set up and I believe you will record better times with easier launch. You may like 18 inch wheels with larger PSS tires better too vs. stock set up.

Better yet, don't do drag races and just track your car with or without a tune
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 12:21 PM   #3
///1M
Captain
Rep
Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe

What times are you posting?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 12:56 PM   #4
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

The car makes too much power in first gear. There is no fix besides taking it easy, get some seat time so you can know how to manage traction. If you want a clutch dropping sub 1.7 second holeshot you'll have more luck with an EVO or Subaru.

Don't dump the clutch and peg the throttle when you shift into 2nd. Too much shock will break the tires loose. Again, this is your clue to take it a bit easier with your right foot.

Tire upgrade will help. Go pick up a wheel/tire upgrade. I think you can run 295mm in the rear on the 1M with the right wheels. Yok AD08, Dunlop ZII, Mich PSS, etc. are probably all better tires than the factory RFT.
      03-17-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
you need better tires than the Michelin PSS. I use Nitto NT05

Last edited by EINSER M; 03-17-2013 at 02:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #6
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

Put the car in 2nd gear, turn off the nannies, rev to 5500 rpm and dump the clutch!
      03-17-2013, 07:02 PM   #7
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freon View Post
The car makes too much power in first gear. There is no fix besides taking it easy, get some seat time so you can know how to manage traction. If you want a clutch dropping sub 1.7 second holeshot you'll have more luck with an EVO or Subaru.

Don't dump the clutch and peg the throttle when you shift into 2nd. Too much shock will break the tires loose. Again, this is your clue to take it a bit easier with your right foot.

Tire upgrade will help. Go pick up a wheel/tire upgrade. I think you can run 295mm in the rear on the 1M with the right wheels. Yok AD08, Dunlop ZII, Mich PSS, etc. are probably all better tires than the factory RFT.
Rear wheels of 1M are 10 inch wide and you can put 295/30 tires in the rear with stock wheels with absolutely zero modification. There are some who do this already. There are some others who put 305s too but probably with a few tricks to suspension and anything over 295 seems to push the limits of the wheel too much imo.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #8
lightning
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESC OFF View Post
Put the car in 2nd gear, turn off the nannies, rev to 5500 rpm and dump the clutch!

So do you mean moving off the car in gear 2?

i've heard of some N54 powered cars doing that for drag races
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 09:48 PM   #9
lightning
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep

btw thanks for all the comments and inputs! greatly appreciated..
Appreciate 0