BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-28-2010, 09:24 PM   #1
minijet
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Train

Question to people with aftermarket suspension specifically KW V2's and PSS10's

Just wanting some feedback from some of those out there with aftermarket suspension specifically the KW's V2's and Bilstein PSS10?

How do you find the ride? is it harsher than stock with RFT's?
Handling?
Easy of adjustability?

I'm looking to change my suspension to one of these set ups and most important thing to me besides handling is ride comfort. ha i know they are kinda contradictory but its a daily car and need best of both worlds.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 04:57 AM   #2
Breville
Scum in the sun
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupe TiAg

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
I've had my V2's for a year now and love them. Always had them with non-RFT's so couldn't comment on the std tyres. Very compliant ride, MUCH better than std car/trye combo. Do it now and you'll be so dead chuffed!

One should love animals. They are so tasty.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 11:35 PM   #3
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breville View Post
I've had my V2's for a year now and love them. Always had them with non-RFT's so couldn't comment on the std tyres. Very compliant ride, MUCH better than std car/trye combo. Do it now and you'll be so dead chuffed!
I'm very interested in this combination. Do you have camber adjustment with the V2's Breville?
      01-30-2010, 12:49 AM   #4
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Pedders in Mascot / Botany did my PSS9's without issue many moons ago.

Jamie (I think that's the owner) is a great guy and used to set up my mates race car.

While your doing the coilovers I'd suggest also changing to the M3 control arms and caster rods for the front. Gives you some neg camber so you get even better handling. While it's not as good as camber plates you avoid the associated clunk they tend to have noise wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minijet View Post
Thanks for the info Breville,
I just ordered a set of PSS10's as i prefer its ease of adjustability.

BTW where did you get your KW's installed?
Or can anyone recommend a good place to get these installed?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2010, 04:45 AM   #5
Breville
Scum in the sun
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks for the info Breville,
I just ordered a set of PSS10's as i prefer its ease of adjustability.

BTW where did you get your KW's installed?
Or can anyone recommend a good place to get these installed?
I wasn't fussed about adjustability as I knew I would only do it once..

East Coast Suspension did mine for $500 and were very thorough. Dave is a great guy http://eastcoastsuspensions.com.au/.

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2010, 04:47 AM   #6
Breville
Scum in the sun
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
I'm very interested in this combination. Do you have camber adjustment with the V2's Breville?
Sadly no camber adjustment, I am told you need the v3's but it's a bit clunky by all accounts which is why I chose the v2's. Jeff has the v3's I think.

I do regular track days and could definately benefit from camber plates, but honestly it's not worth it to me as I like a pleasant ride and I'm not actually 'racing'. No brainer if you needed to be timing your laps though.

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 12:59 AM   #7
dk130i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Blue car

Quote:
Just wanting some feedback from some of those out there with aftermarket suspension specifically the KW's V2's and Bilstein PSS10?

How do you find the ride? is it harsher than stock with RFT's?
Handling?
Easy of adjustability?

I'm looking to change my suspension to one of these set ups and most important thing to me besides handling is ride comfort. ha i know they are kinda contradictory but its a daily car and need best of both worlds.

Thanks
Koni FSDs not doing it for you?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 11:37 PM   #8
spdrcr
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Lotus Elise

I really don't see the point changing the suspension unless you are going to solve the camber problem in the front. If you want the 'low' look just change the springs. If you want to go around corners do it properly and get the adjustable tops.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 01:14 AM   #9
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrcr View Post
I really don't see the point changing the suspension unless you are going to solve the camber problem in the front. If you want the 'low' look just change the springs. If you want to go around corners do it properly and get the adjustable tops.
Having fitted camber plates to my last beemer, along with Konis, coil-overs etc, I understand the issue with the solid camber plates. Allows fantastic cornering but very harsh over bumps. Does fitting M3 control arms (front and rear?) address the camber issue to a worthwhile extent?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 03:13 AM   #10
andrew@southernBM
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 F80, M140i

You can get a small amount of camber by taking of the locating ttop of the strut bearing or alternatively go for camber plates. We have used Vorshlag camber plates for normal springs and also the coil over vorshlag cambe rplates i have in my own car. We have some made up to suit normal springs for those that desire more negative camber which i'll have the first production run done soon. I'll post a pic if your interested when the first one comes in.

There is a car in Melbourne, not sure if he's a member here or not that i put in the M3 front arms, M3 rear subframe bushings, H&R sway bars, normal tyres, Quaife LSD and that runs with FSD's and BMW Performance Springs and i loved that set up. I was asked today about the camber plates from one of the suspension places down here, looks like he is over there looking for more negative camber now. I believe he ordered Vorshlag plates. That car has so much traction it begs for a tune.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 05:33 AM   #11
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew@southernBM View Post
You can get a small amount of camber by taking of the locating ttop of the strut bearing or alternatively go for camber plates.
Thanks Andrew. I'd forgotten about that. Any idea what that small change will do to toe, castor etc? I guess you'd need to get a wheel alignment even after this small mod?? Are these both factory adjustable and are "factory" settings ideal anyway?
Cheers.
      02-02-2010, 03:34 AM   #12
andrew@southernBM
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 F80, M140i

i wrote up something about this earlier, did it get deleted?

From memory i think stock was like neutral or .25 neg but with the mod it takes it to -1 or so.
Yes you require an alignment.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 11:10 PM   #13
airhead
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Congrats!

I think either suspension would have been fine and you probably won't make much use of all those settings. Both use H&R springs etc

The V2's are rebadged Koni's so if you had gone the V2's, you'd have been paying for the KW brand mostly.

For install, any of these guys will be good:

Spinning Wheel (the guys you used for your alignment) - they do a lot of high end cars and track day cars.

Con @ Pedders Granville - does all the APS cars, has a couple of M3's himself and a mix of euro and race cars.

Dave @ East Coast - again do a lot of race car suspensions etc. Very pricey in my opinion and heard a few people coming back expecting a better experience. I think people have it built up in their heads that if a shop works on race cars, the shop will treat their car like a race car too...
Appreciate 0