BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-05-2011, 05:46 AM   #67
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckles McGee View Post
Looks like they fit fine to me..

215's on a 9.5x18 has more stretch..
Or 215 on a 10x17
or maybe 215 on a 10.5x17..
And really - this is a logical argument to you? Showing even more stretched tires to illustrate that a little stretch should be considered "normal?"

Just because you can point to someone doing something extremely riduclous doesn't mean that the person doing something slightly ridiculous isn't slightly ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 05:57 AM   #68
McMuffin
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Widebody 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
And really - this is a logical argument to you? Showing even more stretched tires to illustrate that a little stretch should be considered "normal?"

Just because you can point to someone doing something extremely riduclous doesn't mean that the person doing something slightly ridiculous isn't slightly ridiculous.
Estas enojado hermano?

Translation

You mad bro?
      04-05-2011, 06:01 AM   #69
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMuffin View Post
Estas enojado hermano?

Translation

You mad bro?
No

Translation

No
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 08:36 AM   #70
Duckles McGee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Pending

Quote:
You guys who are advocating for more poke, stretch, etc and then calling everyone else close-minded sheep don't get that you are just another type of sheep. You are following your own smaller and different crowd, but are still very much living by the rules and confines of your chosen social group's norms. Get over yourselves already.

Some (most) people have different tastes than you. That doesn't make you some sort of revoloutionary. Low-rider culture is far from new or "cutting edge."

I'm not ragging on anyone's car or tastes. But some of you guys act like you just want to get along and be free to "do your own thing" and then want to rag on anyone who doesn't care for what you do. You guys freely admit that this is not mainstream - so how could you expect any other reaction? And how can you be so dismissive of other people's tastes while expecting a total lack of criticism yourselves?
Bob... You're missing the point.

I fully agree that we are all sheep (in some respects, that's part of the joke.) What I am addressing is the incessant need for people to point out the poke/ stretch.... Yet no one will scoff at someone trying to stuff a 255/265 tire on their stock wheel.

Some misinformed soul even stated that a stretched tires is as dangerous as running 2 (out of 5) lugs. The sheepish responses offered in this context relates to the uninformed/ sheltered nature in which people haphazardly make comments about things they clearly have zero experience with.

Not too long ago people thought putting 20+" wheels on a truck was dangerous/insane because, in many instances, they wouldn't work without modification... Now they are being fitting on trucks from the factory. To state that it's common sense that these wheels don't fit because
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 08:40 AM   #71
91Kevin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: White 2011 Subaru STI

Looks awesome man.

and stretched tires do perform well.... in snow.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 09:13 AM   #72
Duckles McGee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
I have yet to see an RFT blow out on one of these cars...however, the stories of people bending wheels and blowing stretched tires as well as simply breaking the bead are endless. Care to share where you get your "statistics" from?
I guess my car is an anomaly...

I am curious to see these endless stories of people bending wheels/ blowing stretched tires/ breaking beads. So far my car has eaten two RFT's... I've owned 6 or 7 sets of wheels with moderate to extreme stretch. I've never had an issue and the wheels are now on to second and third owners without issue. They must be anomalies too.

Quote:
You should not come in here saying that stretching tires is safer than RFT's , without proper evidence. The last time I checked, manufactures sell cars with RFT's, but no one sells new cars with stretched tires. Again, you're calling me stubborn because I know how tires were designed to be used - plain and simple dude: if you have to stretch it, it doesn't fit, hence the need for stretching.
The manufactures also limit the car to 300hp... does that mean we shouldn't chip the car? The fact is, we do countless modifications to the cars that do not normally come that way from the factory... You have a great point, we should all drive stock cars because that's how the engineers/manufactures intended them to be driven.

Judging by your OEM/ OEM performance only mods.. I am willing to bet that you tend to agree. In that respect, do you insert your 2 cents into every aftermarket thread?

Quote:
Oh, and let's not even get into all the negatives of stretching a tire in terms of performance.
Not everyone breaks the law and pushes the car to the limit, as the majority of BMW's handle daily drive duties, making this argument moot. Regardless, I'll admit that I speed from time to time, and in that manner, I've personally noticed no perceivable difference between a stretched tire vs. a non-stretched one.

If you are using the car for performance reasons, then I agree that you probably do not want stretched tires, you're also not going to want big-blingy wheels... but entering it as a point of contention, in most instances is not really a relevant argument.

Last edited by Duckles McGee; 04-05-2011 at 09:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 09:31 AM   #73
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

You have decided to take this personal, I'm just using common sense and understanding whether what I do to my car truly enhances its performance or hinders it. Other than looks (which to most of us looms horrendous), there really isn't any benefit to stretching tires.

Where did I get my information from? Reading, researching, an learning from others' mistakes. I know better than to stretch tires on my car myself

And yes your car must be an anomaly, you're the first person to claim RFT "blowouts" that I know of. Maybe since you're used to stretching you may have overinflated them.

You remind me of these guys:

Quote:
Quote:
I have yet to see an RFT blow out on one of these cars...however, the stories of people bending wheels and blowing stretched tires as well as simply breaking the bead are endless. Care to share where you get your "statistics" from?
I guess my car is an anomaly...

I am curious to see these endless stories of people bending wheels/ blowing stretched tires/ breaking beads. So far my car has eaten two RFT's... I've owned 6 or 7 sets of wheels with moderate to extreme stretch. I've never had an issue and the wheels are now on to second and third owners without issue. They must be anomalies too.

Quote:
You should not come in here saying that stretching tires is safer than RFT's , without proper evidence. The last time I checked, manufactures sell cars with RFT's, but no one sells new cars with stretched tires. Again, you're calling me stubborn because I know how tires were designed to be used - plain and simple dude: if you have to stretch it, it doesn't fit, hence the need for stretching.
The manufactures also limit the car to 300hp... does that mean we shouldn't chip the car? The fact is, we do countless modifications to the cars that do not normally come that way from the factory... You have a great point, we should all drive stock cars because that's how the engineers/manufactures intended them to be driven.

Judging by your OEM/ OEM performance only mods.. I am willing to bet that you tend to agree. In that respect, do you insert your 2 cents into every aftermarket thread?

Quote:
Oh, and let's not even get into all the negatives of stretching a tire in terms of performance.
Not everyone breaks the law and pushes the car to the limit, as the majority of BMW's handle daily drive duties, making this argument moot. Regardless, I'll admit that I speed from time to time, and in that manner, I've personally noticed no perceivable difference between a stretched tire vs. a non-stretched one.

If you are using the car for performance reasons, then I agree that you probably do not want stretched tires, you're also not going to want big-blingy wheels... but entering it as a point of contention, in most instances is not really a relevant argument.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 10:02 AM   #74
Duckles McGee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You have decided to take this personal, I'm just using common sense and understanding whether what I do to my car truly enhances its performance or hinders it. Other than looks (which to most of us looms horrendous), there really isn't any benefit to stretching tires.
In the end, I personally could give two shits about what you think or say, but didn't you know that the interwebs are SRS BZNS.

Different strokes for different folks. It is true, many BMW enthusiasts (and I've seen some Mercedes owners) have loomed it to be horrendous, but venture to other forums and you will find that you are in small company.

Quote:
Where did I get my information from? Reading, researching, an learning from others' mistakes. I know better than to stretch tires on my car myself
Again.. post your research/ instances of others' mistakes. I am willing to bet that most of the issues relate to a wheel defect or improperly sealed 3-piece wheel.

Quote:
And yes your car must be an anomaly, you're the first person to claim RFT "blowouts" that I know of. Maybe since you're used to stretching you may have overinflated them.
The blowouts were experienced by the previous owner, who shares the same disdain for the rigid sidewall RFT's. Thanks for speculating though... seems you're speculations are a bit off on all fronts. I also don't overinflate my stretched tires, your quick google search results are not yielding you worthwhile information.

We can go all day here... ultimately, you are only sharing what you've read. I'm offering what I've actually experienced.

As you say... Good day to you.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 10:24 AM   #75
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

You need to learn how to separate personal from factual. I too couldn't give a rat's ass about what you say, think, or do to your car, but you don't see me coming in here advertising something unsafe simply because I don't like the standard. Certainly, in an ideal world, rft's are not the way to go in terms of handling, but if I wanted to eliminate that issue, I simply would buy a non-RFT better tire and replace. Stretching a different tire is not the fix for disliking rft's.

You keep talking about all this "stretched-tire experience"...dude I didn't know they made a college degree out of tire-stretching. Let's see: grab a wheel, buy a tire that doesn't properly fit because it's too narrow, mount it and inflate until the bead seals. Wow, complicated matter you got going on there buddy...maybe I should consider putting my computer engineering degree aside and become a tire-stretcher.

Good day to you and I would much prefer to disengage from further discussion regarding your personal bias towards stretching tires - I simply don't care enough to continue.

Quote:
Quote:
In the end, I personally could give two shits about what you think or say, but didn't you know that the interwebs are SRS BZNS.

Different strokes for different folks. It is true, many BMW enthusiasts (and I've seen some Mercedes owners) have loomed it to be horrendous, but venture to other forums and you will find that you are in small company.

Quote:
Again.. post your research/ instances of others' mistakes. I am willing to bet that most of the issues relate to a wheel defect or improperly sealed 3-piece wheel.

Quote:
The blowouts were experienced by the previous owner, who shares the same disdain for the rigid sidewall RFT's. Thanks for speculating though... seems you're speculations are a bit off on all fronts. I also don't overinflate my stretched tires, your quick google search results are not yielding you worthwhile information.

We can go all day here... ultimately, you are only sharing what you've read. I'm offering what I've actually experienced.

As you say... Good day to you.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 10:33 AM   #76
91Kevin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Us guys that are into this type of modifying should probably just stop posting on this forum, we are never met with people who can respect our style. I'm not saying one is better than the other (I've owned CSL reps and I do in face like them and I might possibly buy yet another set) but the fact remains that every time one of jzhang's threads come up, the same people come in here saying "this is unsafe, it looks awful, why would you do this, those wheels don't fit, those tires don't fit, etc" and while some of these are opinions others I know for a fact to be false. People make near cross country trips on these stretched tires with no problems. Hell, drifters push their cars to the limits on stretched tires and their tires blow out not from stretch but from being worn until holes appear. Now I think its safe to say we get it, you've made your point, now kindly gtfo and if you don't have anything nice or constructive to say, don't say anything at all. Its better to post about what you like in your own threads and others modded to your liking than to start these big post wars on threads that even before you click on them, you know you aren't going to like it. Its common knowledge now (or it should be) that Duckles and John have stretched tires and are lowered ridiculously (or are at least planning on it) so you can do your part to make the forum a better place. Don't keep coming into these threads and denouncing the way the car is modified.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 11:13 AM   #77
competition
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C

RFT blow out lol

Quote:
Care to share where YOU get your statistics from?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 11:16 AM   #78
91Kevin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I think the reason that one blew out is because its worn until it looks like a damn slick I mean seriously wtf.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 11:32 AM   #79
Duckles McGee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Look at all these road hazards..

http://www.mymbonline.com/forum/view...er=asc&start=0

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299965

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ead-w-examples

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4123218

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...09910&page=196

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 11:48 AM   #80
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
^ Nice 6er (slightly OT, I know).
      04-05-2011, 11:54 AM   #81
McMuffin
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Widebody 92

Quote:
No

Translation

No

Y yo pense que todos los Europeos eran frios y aburidos.
      04-05-2011, 11:59 AM   #82
Duckles McGee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just to finish things off..

OP's specs
Falken 452:
215/40/18 and 245/35/15

18x8.5 ET32 18x10 ET38

http://www.nlmotoring.com/Falken-FK-...-215-40-18.htm
http://www.nlmotoring.com/Falken-FK-...-245-35-18.htm

Looks like the front tire is perfectly within the tire manufacturers spec and the rear is only .5" out.

Looks to me like he's "properly stretched" afterall.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 12:01 PM   #83
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

if you're too mentally challenged to realize that the above example is due to a highly worn out tire, I have nothing to say to you.

Throughout the past few years I've been a member of multiple communities due to the array of cars that I have owned - go check the vq community (350z/370z/g35/g37), also the s2000 community...you will see plenty of reported issues, from bent wheels to blown tires. Again, I don't have to experience a problem in order to acknowledge it's there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goeslikeschnell View Post
RFT blow out lol

Quote:
Care to share where YOU get your statistics from?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 12:19 PM   #84
Duckles McGee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Throughout the past few years I've been a member of multiple communities due to the array of cars that I have owned - go check the vq community (350z/370z/g35/g37), also the s2000 community...you will see plenty of reported issues, from bent wheels to blown tires. Again, I don't have to experience a problem in order to acknowledge it's there.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 12:28 PM   #85
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

When all fails post random picture. Congratulations, you have succeeded

Quote:
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 12:39 PM   #86
Duckles McGee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 12:51 PM   #87
91Kevin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

not random and I lol'd hard
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 01:43 PM   #88
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Okay, this thread is getting way out of control. Let's try to steer towards more civilized discourse.

I will say (or maybe you already know) that I am not the biggest fan of stretched tires nor poke. But I can appreciate some of the aesthetic. I was even prompted to check out Stanceworks after reading this thread, and I gotta say - there was some good and some bad. I dig the enthusiasm. I'm not so crazy about the fact that it seems like a bit too much of a "scene" and is apparently full of hipsters. But maybe it just seems that way to me as an outsider.

But some of the stuff there was pretty cool. I do like the look of lowering in general (my own car is lowered), but don't really care for the stretch, or for multi-piece wheels, or some of the really crazy negative camber. I am also not really a fan of bodywork being millimeters from the ground. But these are all just subjective tastes.

Anyway, to be honest, I have thought about spacers for my own car. Not to poke, or be hellaflush, or whatever - but because after installing coilovers and camber plates, I feel like my wheels look a bit sunken. You guys got any advice?