BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-18-2013, 11:56 AM   #1
Hobbe
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: AW E82 1M

KW Competition?

It's time to upgrade the suspension on my 1M.
The car is too tail happy for me at this point (racing) so the BMW OEM suspension has to go.

I've had a long discussion with KW Motorsport (Germany)
KW Clubsport was first recommended, but since my car spends most of its time on local tracks we both seem to agree on KW Competition with camber plates and spherical bushings.
I fitted it on my previous car so I think it might be a good choice.

Anyone here who has KW Competition on the 1M, and would like to give me some feedback?

Last edited by Hobbe; 09-18-2013 at 12:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 01:49 PM   #2
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

The Clubsports are a solid performer out of the box (from my research, no first hand experience). There are better options for a more hardcore setup, but these will satisfy most. Also they are inexpensive (comparatively) and easy to find.

What do you mean by "tail happy"? Does this mean the tail end is coming around too quickly for you when coming out of corners and applying the throttle? If this is the case, I am not sure how much of a difference coilovers would make. I am no expert, and am interested to hear your reasoning.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 11:59 PM   #3
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

If you are in Sweden, I highly recommend you calling Ohlins and speak to them about their R&T product for the 1M as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 03:24 AM   #4
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain View Post
The Clubsports are a solid performer out of the box (from my research, no first hand experience). There are better options for a more hardcore setup, but these will satisfy most. Also they are inexpensive (comparatively) and easy to find.

What do you mean by "tail happy"? Does this mean the tail end is coming around too quickly for you when coming out of corners and applying the throttle? If this is the case, I am not sure how much of a difference coilovers would make. I am no expert, and am interested to hear your reasoning.
The adjustability of the coilovers will give you the ability to dial out rear axle bump and rebound and make changes to slow and fast compression over the front axle, in-turn increasing rear wheel traction and changing the snappy tail happy characteristic of the passive set up.
Appreciate 0