BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-11-2017, 08:38 PM   #1
texas128i
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i

Valve cover gasket replacement, anything else needed with it?

So I recently picked up a loaded 128i Auto6 with 81k miles on it. I am loving this car! It needed some work and I have been doing it bit by bit (the price was fair based on work I know it needed). I have already done things like clean the Mass Air Sensor, clean the VANOS solenoids, replace driver door actuator [that sucked], other tune up things.

So during my inspection it was clear the valve cover was leaking and after searching I found it was a very well known maintenance item that likely didn't have the maintenance. I have the gasket ready and have done some studying up from the youtube world.

My question is:

* Any special considerations I need for a 128i

* Any other simple things I should do while in the area? I have the gasket and RTV.

I now have 83k on it. Has been great, but this leak on the valve cover gasket is up to get done.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 10:31 PM   #2
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]

You're going to need more than just the valve cover gasket, don't worry about using RTV either. There are kits on ebay which have the entire entourage of gaskets and bits you need.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E92-E91-...xWZ854&vxp=mtr

-Spark plug gaskets (3 of these - 1 per every 2 cylinders)
-Eccentric shaft sensor gasket (1)
-Valvetronic motor gasket (1)
-Spark plug sleeves (6) (if you shred them like I did, there's a method to get them out easily but I forget, hopefully someone will chime in)

Have you done spark plugs yet? If you find oil on the plug itself, or the threads it's an indication to do your VCG/spark plug gaskets

During this job inspect your eccentric shaft sensor plug, if it's filled with oil you're probably gonna need a new sensor soon. Inspect the head for any wear, make sure it's not gunky.

You got all the tools? Torx, E-Torx, standard and deep metric sockets, hex, plenty of different sized extensions (both U-joint and flexible extensions were really helpful), I'd recommend a 1/4 and 3/8 ratchet. I wouldn't worry about the torque spec too much, because it's really hard to get a wrench in some places, but definitely use the 1/4 when you tighten the bolts again so you don't snap one in the head like I did. German spec gut-n-tight.

For the valvetronic motor, honestly don't worry about "tensioning and untensioning it". I literally unbolted it and bolted it back in twice and didn't have a single issue. Before you start the car, press the start button without hitting the brake so the car turns on, but the engine doesn't start. Give it a minute or two to "initialize" the valvetronic motor, and it might run rough for a few seconds when it first starts.

Inspect your valve cover THOROUGHLY for cracks, it's not uncommon. And inspect your crankcase vent valve.

The 128i is nearly identical to the 328i, basically the only differences are driveshaft and axle length, some chassis bracing here and there, but nothing major.

Take your time, this job is pretty frustrating with how you have to finagle things. A friend to help will be valuable. It's not a TECHNICALLY difficult job, it's a "how the hell is this supposed to be removed" job, yaknow?
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2017, 10:21 AM   #3
texas128i
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i

Thanks so much! This is just what I was looking for.
Appreciate 1