BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-16-2011, 01:10 AM   #1
sluflyer06
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i MT

Cobb 3.01 Map Log Chart

Just got the Cobb yesterday morning after deciding to switch from a piggyback. Ran this log on the 3.01 Agressive map to see how it looked...I'm very happy, doesn't appear to be any evidence of knock from my fairly untrained eye, I am a little surprised boost doesn't hold to target although I'm not sure if the car is trying to...does target change with IAT? I looked at WGDC and it doesn't increase as the boost delta increases.

Overall I'm very happy I was getting large timing drops with the piggyback (3-5*)

09-16-2011, 09:21 AM   #2
thebigragu99
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135 tuorbbo

From the log and thier new mapping ,seems like Cobb lowered the boost for **...I think they did this to keeP the turbos frOm Over spinning and * plus boost combined makes great power..The log looks vet good,how does the car feel up top?? Does it feel stronger then the piggy?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 09:36 AM   #3
sluflyer06
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I'd say top end is probably similar or slightly better but hard to say, what feels (to me) signifigantly improved is low and mid range torque and response with the Cobb, scenarios like part throttle ~3K rpm just feel fantastically strong with the cobb.

I believe a FMIC will be a perfect compliment to this type of tuning and its on my list in the very near future. I"m just stoked how happy the motor is compared to the piggy, I'll make a dyno appt. soon and we'll see how the Cobb does compared to my 'no tune' baseline run.
      09-16-2011, 09:46 AM   #4
TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management
Major
TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management's Avatar
Rep
Drives: 2012 Abarth 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluflyer06 View Post
Just got the Cobb yesterday morning after deciding to switch from a piggyback. Ran this log on the 3.01 Agressive map to see how it looked...I'm very happy, doesn't appear to be any evidence of knock from my fairly untrained eye, I am a little surprised boost doesn't hold to target although I'm not sure if the car is trying to...does target change with IAT? I looked at WGDC and it doesn't increase as the boost delta increases.

Overall I'm very happy I was getting large timing drops with the piggyback (3-5*)

as per cobb, they re-configured the output voltage for the 2.5 bar map sensor above 5500 BUT they havent updated this in the datalogging software. Boost above 5500 is actually higher than what the logs show. They are going to reconfigure this in the next firmware update so actual boost will show up in the logs and realtime data
If i were to guess id say that actual boost is pretty close to the target boost above 5500 rpm!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 09:47 AM   #5
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Is this 2nd gear? I bet you'll be closer to boost target in a higher gear.

The gearing lets me stay in 2nd when autocrossing on larger courses that put some other cars in 3rd, but I definitely notice power tanks hard past 6k. It seems to tank less drag racing when I go through the top of 3rd gear. That's pre-v300, but I doubt much has changed.

I could hazard a guess that there is a WGDC upper limit that is being hit and that explain why you don't see WGDC increase. Hopefully Cobb will release RaceTuner some day and we'll be able to actually see what kind of maps are available.
      09-16-2011, 09:57 AM   #6
sluflyer06
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freon View Post
Is this 2nd gear? I bet you'll be closer to boost target in a higher gear.

The gearing lets me stay in 2nd when autocrossing on larger courses that put some other cars in 3rd, but I definitely notice power tanks hard past 6k. It seems to tank less drag racing when I go through the top of 3rd gear. That's pre-v300, but I doubt much has changed.

I could hazard a guess that there is a WGDC upper limit that is being hit and that explain why you don't see WGDC increase. Hopefully Cobb will release RaceTuner some day and we'll be able to actually see what kind of maps are available.
Check the post above you, which confirms what I was told personally by Cobb about boost readings above 5,500. I'm not hitting a WGDC limit and the fact that WGDC remains fairly steady above 5,500 also lends to the fact that i'm prolly actually at the target otherwise it would be rising to try to hit targets..the car certainly doesn't feel like boost is falling off up top . Also judging by the fast rate of IAT increase i'd say they're working pretty hard up top.
      09-16-2011, 10:02 AM   #7
thebigragu99
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Get a good intercooler this will help you..I would just not get a helix.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 10:16 AM   #8
sluflyer06
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Do you have experience with the Helix? What was wrong with it? I was looking at mostly the Helix, AA, HPF.
      09-16-2011, 10:25 AM   #9
Major
Rep

Quote:
Do you have experience with the Helix? What was wrong with it? I was looking at mostly the Helix, AA, HPF.
He doesnt like helix because I called him out on his endless rant of knowitall BS he spouts on this and e90 post, you can read the hysterical thread here:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=583230

As in most internet knowitalls, he's all show and no go...just a troublemaker not worth anyone's time, yet again causing problems in perfectly good threads with useful information that shouldn't be derailed. He's a troll ignore him, look at some of his posts to gain insight on this subject!

Last edited by TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management; 09-16-2011 at 10:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 10:32 AM   #10
thebigragu99
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Honestly I don't like the stepped core design at all,it doesn't even come with piping or any other sort..the aa is made in china and requires a good amount of cutting to the bumper..The hpf is not impressive either ,it uses stock couplers and clamps which makes no sense ..if you take off the stock piping you'll see how restricted it is..I went with the er and I'm very happy!! The fitment was the best the shop has seen,and the fitment was spot on..it has to be trimmed ,but not much..the core is really thick and dense ,and the car feels stronger pull after pull..I noticed a big jump in the mid range power band,plus I got the black anodized for a complete sleeper look!! Trust me the er is the way to go!!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 10:35 AM   #11
thebigragu99
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTurboBullett View Post
He doesnt like helix because I called him out on his endless rant of knowitall BS he spouts on this and e90 post, you can read the hysterical thread here:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=583230

As in most internet knowitalls, he's all show and no go...just a troublemaker not worth anyone's time, yet again causing problems in perfectly good threads with useful information that shouldn't be derailed. He's a troll ignore him, look at some of his posts to gain insight on this subject!
Lol .. Your the one who trolled on my thread about your core,I never invited you !! Everytime I see a intercooler thread you pop up !! Give it a rest I will never buy core from you !! Good day
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 10:37 AM   #12
sluflyer06
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I think stock couplers makes alot of sense if you want to be able to remove it easily. While my car is an 08' its only got 15K miles and under warranty until mid 2013.

I've been so focused on tuning issues I haven't seriously researched intercoolers yet, its seems like they all work but vary on features, fitment. I plan on installing it myself so one that isn't overly involved without a lift is ideal and I'd prefer not to remove the bumper.
      09-16-2011, 10:42 AM   #13
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigragu99 View Post
Lol .. Your the one who trolled on my thread about your core,I never invited you !! Everytime I see a intercooler thread you pop up !! Give it a rest I will never buy core from you !! Good day
I'm not going to derail this useful thread on YOU, if you have anything to say pm me or meet me in person I live probably less than an hour away

Back on topic!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 11:18 AM   #14
thebigragu99
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I think stock couplers makes alot of sense if you want to be able to remove it easily. While my car is an 08' its only got 15K miles and under warranty until mid 2013.

I've been so focused on tuning issues I haven't seriously researched intercoolers yet, its seems like they all work but vary on features, fitment. I plan on installing it myself so one that isn't overly involved without a lift is ideal and I'd prefer not to remove the bumper.
Don't be worried about a little cutting or removing your bumper, the shop had it off in 10 min!! Look into the er and look at their r&d!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 05:39 PM   #15
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
You two again ?!

Sluflyer6...yes, an FMIC should be next with your Cobb AP. I went with Forge b/c the local shop sells it and I trust them (WSTO).

Here is a quick review I found; www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329764

BMWCCA member

Last edited by ken1137; 09-16-2011 at 05:47 PM.. Reason: adding link
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 06:11 PM   #16
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigragu99 View Post
and the car feels stronger pull after pull..I noticed a big jump in the mid range power band,plus I got the black anodized for a complete sleeper look!! Trust me the er is the way to go!!
So are you saying that NONE of these other IC's will make the car feel stronger pull after pull? Did you notice a big jump in the mid range with other IC's??? I don't think so...I have the HPF IC with those "Stock" pieces you spoke of....the cars drives great....to semi-qoute you "HPF is the way to go!!" Anybody can come on here and say that stuff man.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 06:47 PM   #17
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Any IC upgrade is going to help you out, period. The more heat soak you're getting, the bigger the core you should consider. Also try to be honest with yourself about the end of your modding road and where you want to be. I've seen both good and bad ER cores. HPF is nice, I love my AA.

Bottom line and back on topic, your log looks great to me. Since it says 3rd gear along the top, I think that answers another question asked as well. :-) I'm getting ready to ditch the piggyback and go with it myself. Cobb makes a great product, easy to use and good power for not a lot of money. I'm just waiting for a few more features to become available before pulling the trigger. Unless they need high altitude beta testers! ;-)
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 07:26 PM   #18
thebigragu99
Banned
Rep

Yes this is true ,any intercooler will help vs the stock core.
Appreciate 0