BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #23
RussianRoulette
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 1M

I have a full Acra exhaust with wireless valve system and when the engine is cold, the sound of start is too loud. The same as in ussual usage with open valve. It continues about 2-3 minutes. So there is no reason to install this wireless system because my neighborhood are angry
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 08:47 AM   #24
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shram View Post
I have a full Acra exhaust with wireless valve system and when the engine is cold, the sound of start is too loud. The same as in ussual usage with open valve. It continues about 2-3 minutes. So there is no reason to install this wireless system because my neighborhood are angry
dont worry nothing is ever too loud for me
so far i have no complaining neighbor lol
let see if the akra will create complaining neighbor lol
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 12:24 PM   #25
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shram View Post
I have a full Akra exhaust with wireless valve system and when the engine is cold, the sound of start is too loud. The same as in usual usage with open valve. It continues about 2-3 minutes. So there is no reason to install this wireless system because my neighborhood are angry
The valve immediately automatically closes upon start (it requires a vacuum to close), reducing the noise to some extent. Of course, if you decide to open the valve once you pushed the start button (cold start), it will rumble throughout the whole startup sequence (± half a minute).

So if you want to remain befriended with the neighborhood but cannot escape cold start-ups in their near vicinity: don't touch the wireless after starting the engine and stay away from the low rpm bass sound by moving away, slightly spinning into higher revs by gently coordinating the clutch and accelerator at the same time.
      05-04-2016, 05:53 AM   #26
mlcgd21
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M, G20 BMW 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
The valve immediately automatically closes upon start (it requires a vacuum to close), reducing the noise to some extent. Of course, if you decide to open the valve once you pushed the start button (cold start), it will rumble throughout the whole startup sequence (± half a minute).

So if you want to remain befriended with the neighborhood but cannot escape cold start-ups in their near vicinity: don't touch the wireless after starting the engine and stay away from the low rpm bass sound by moving away, slightly spinning into higher revs by gently coordinating the clutch and accelerator at the same time.
Sorry to revive this thread but I need to understand this better.

Does the Akrapovic valve open automatically in cold start-ups? I'm going to install an Akrapovic exhaust with wireless kit, and I don't want the cold starts to be any louder than they are with the stock exhaust, people at work would kill me! I thought that in the cold start-ups I could keep the valves closed and the noise wouldn't be too loud. Can anyone clarify me this please?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 08:16 AM   #27
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Garage List
^ the valve defaults to closed. So cold starts won't be loud, however, it functions under vacuum so it might be open for a spilt second.
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2016, 03:13 AM   #28
mlcgd21
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1&done View Post
^ the valve defaults to closed. So cold starts won't be loud, however, it functions under vacuum so it might be open for a spilt second.
Ok thank you
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 07:34 AM   #29
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Garage List
^ np, highly recommend, won't regret it
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 11:58 AM   #30
T1M
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW MY12 1M

Cold starts with the Akra are definitely louder than stock. Not ridiculously loud, but not quiet by any stretch of the imagination!

If it's really an issue you can have your tuner remove the cold start via flashing a new tune to the DME with the routine disabled though, so it just starts and idles normally.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 12:37 PM   #31
mlcgd21
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1M View Post
Cold starts with the Akra are definitely louder than stock. Not ridiculously loud, but not quiet by any stretch of the imagination!

If it's really an issue you can have your tuner remove the cold start via flashing a new tune to the DME with the routine disabled though, so it just starts and idles normally.
That might not be ideal for the car I assume?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 04:15 AM   #32
T1M
Captain
Australia
Rep

Its just used to preheat the catalysts for emissions.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 11:27 PM   #33
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1M View Post

Cold start delete sucks, I've tried it to get rid of loud starts with catless downpipes with MHD.

Only the high idle is removed. Sure, the exhaust is quiet but the ECU is still in cold start mode! The fuelling and other warm up stuff that the DME does is still running. So because of this, a lot of times its not enough revs to support the code start, the engine runs super rough and feels like its going to stall. Made me think I had leaking injectors.
      05-25-2016, 07:07 AM   #34
T1M
Captain
Australia
Rep

Hmm interesting, their description was it was disabled, not just the idle reduced. It runs rich and has negative timing and wildy different vanos timing when in cold start mode, so just dropping idle speed isn't going to do much. My misunderstanding of the feature!
Appreciate 0