E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > How to better shift steptronic m mode

10-24-2005, 08:17 PM   #1
jamesna120
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 bmw 325i

How to better shift steptronic m mode

i was wondering if there's a right way of shifting gear using steptronic m mode.. i for one never learned how to drive a stick car therefor i don't know what RPM range is suited to change my gear in... (to optimize fuel efficiency while driving in normal condition...) also, i sometimes put my gear in neutral whenever i see down hill and let the momentum ride its way in hope to save some gas here and there... can going D to N and back from N to D at a high speed cause stress to the transmission??
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2005, 08:28 PM   #2
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

If you leave your step in a suitable gear while coasting, the engine will have its fuel supply cut off, which is better than coasting in N. It is also potentially dangerous to coast in N, in case you need to take evasive action suddenly and you dont have any drive to your rear wheels. So it is much better to stay in gear at all times.

Try using D mode for economy and DS for a sporty performance.

In truth, if you drive in stop start traffic, there is very little you can do to truly save on fuel. You spend most of you time in low gears with a low average speed. If you can spend driving time on faster moving roads with less traffic lights, you will find a fuel economy improvement.

Keep the load as light as possible and use the best grade fuel you can find.

All the best.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2005, 10:28 PM   #3
r3amir
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X2

Don't worry about fuel economy, enjoy your car
2006 325i Arctic Metallic
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2005, 08:36 AM   #4
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesna120
i was wondering if there's a right way of shifting gear using steptronic m mode.. i for one never learned how to drive a stick car therefor i don't know what RPM range is suited to change my gear in... (to optimize fuel efficiency while driving in normal condition...) also, i sometimes put my gear in neutral whenever i see down hill and let the momentum ride its way in hope to save some gas here and there... can going D to N and back from N to D at a high speed cause stress to the transmission??
Dear Fren James,

let me repost my reply on how I use my steptronic tranny again here, and post another reply on part II, manual_mode:

1. D_MODE - I usually start my day from my garage in D-mode, to the main neighborhood street, and lights, drinking my coffee, easy driving, no cares, on my way to the Parkway (beltway,Hway)

2. D/DS_MODE - Im usually still in D-mode doing speed limit at my initial first miles on the Hway/Beltway. As the traffic lightens up, I would normally Cock-and-Load my baby, by slapping the stickshift to the left (DS-Mode).

Im armed and ready to execute. Normally, at this point(DS_MODE), Im a little over the speed limit, either setting the trend or pacing the already fast traffic trend. But still comfortable speeding drive.

Im ready to get challenge at this point (DS-mode)

3. M-Mode - I guess this is manual mode, from the posting here. While in DS_mode Im waiting for an opportunity or a challenge. Soon, as Im challenged or an opportunity to speed, I would SLAP the stick from DS-mode to M-mode, I would normally downshift to provide me more torque.

Usually that will put me down to 4th and just watch my rpms, until i shift up to 5th again. Or, maybe down shift to 3rd for curves, engine brakes etc.

I make sure that my radio is off, windows ups, sunroof closed, A/C off, and i dont carry a heavy load when i speedup at m-mode.
I do this as safe as possible, when traffic permits and weather is good.

After I get the urges out of my system, I could slap the stick back to D-mode and sit on my throne, and hope that I show them that I am their daddy, until a bigger daddy show me their toys.

Im new to this thing, and Im not a racer, but just your average joe, enjoying life simple pleasures. I wish to learn more from others on the ways to be more effective driver on a E90.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2005, 08:43 AM   #5
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Hello again meine fren:

I like to share with you a PM from a good fren gbelton/Gman from bimmerfest 645Cic forum and heres what he says.

It's not all about horse power but in fact the torque to get you in and out of short throws when accelerating fast. You need the horsepower to get you past the short bursts torque offers, i.e. long straight-aways... You get my meaning.

First, there are a few things you need to do to the car to make sure it Breathes without restrictions.

For starters and they don't cost much,
-->You need a sports performance air-filtration unit,
Get that if you do not have it already.
-->You need to make sure to use Hi-Octane.
(Premium gasoline) SHELL is preferred for BMW's.
-->You need to make sure your load (Vehicle
weight) is as normal as possible, i.e. no golf
clubs etc...
-->You need not run systems like AC that drain
power from your vehicles performance.
-->You should have your windows rolled up to
reduce wind resistance

Turbos, superchargers would be nice but we will not go there... Stay normally aspirated. Of course, this all really matters when you are racing faster cars like the G35 Coupe.

Second, you need to know the threshold of your gears as you described in your note. Since you have steptronic you need to be in that mode with sport mode function enabled.

First Gear: You get your 0-35mph burst (the best compression ratio [maybe even 40-45]) before you shift into 2nd gear. Your RPM's should not surpass 4000 or you will have to double shift into 3rd gear. I would keep to the 0-35mph to get the maximum next gear acceleration.

Second Gear: You get 35-55mph, about 3500-4500 RPM's.

Third Gear: You get 55-80mph, about 4000-5500 RPM's.

Fourth Gear: You get 80-95-100mph, about 5500+ RPM's

Fifth Gear: This is your cruse gear, +100mph. (This is the horsepower realm)

Stay close to third & fourth gear to gain additional torque response. Fifth gear does not have high-end torque, it not made for that reason.

Now before you go and race any well-equipped Honda, Infiniti, Subaru or what ever. Go out an test your response from your gears.

Things to know... I do not know how your car fine-tuned the 2.5litre is...Runs, Idle, Breaking, Steering, Tire Pressure, etc... All these little things count when your car is underpowered against the competition.

You always have to have your car ready to sprint and this is why I mention all of these things. You and I both know when the time comes it comes and many times we have to be ready for the task.

Here's a tidbit on the TL and G35.

Both do not perform well when pressed at high speed in an out manueability. I have experienced they top out at around 100mph so if you can either keep the lead or stay within a cars length you will beat them every time beyond 100mph. I know it sounds insane to drive these speeds but try a few run with your car (Safely of course) and let me know what you find out.

Hope that helps you understand how this whole thing works.

Be SAFE ! and Street Wise!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2005, 08:55 AM   #6
shuzmaker
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 325iAS

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Like ase2dais mentioned, I use D for HW crusing. DS during heavy traffic for less gear hunting and M for weaving in and out of it.
I have a 45 minute stop and go traffic commute to work each way everyday and hence the Steptronic for me. I can tell u it's the next best thing to the SMG.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2005, 08:56 AM   #7
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesna120
THIS IS A BIG NO! NO! never ever put a car in motion in neutral , this is giving control to a moving object and can be fatal.

Always have full control of a moving car. Two elements in controling a car, direction and speed, steering is direction, and putting a moving car in neutral is giving up your deceleration/acceleration control for the sake of a measely MPG.

Your life is not worth a measely savings of MPG!

Last edited by ase2dais; 10-25-2005 at 09:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2005, 10:56 AM   #8
rkwjr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ase2dais

First Gear: You get your 0-35mph burst (the best compression ratio [maybe even 40-45]) before you shift into 2nd gear. Your RPM's should not surpass 4000 or you will have to double shift into 3rd gear. I would keep to the 0-35mph to get the maximum next gear acceleration.

Stay close to third & fourth gear to gain additional torque response. Fifth gear does not have high-end torque, it not made for that reason.
The e90 has six gears not five.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2005, 10:58 AM   #9
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep

Garage List
no! kidding joey!
i dont usually use six, thats for me is for cross country!
much less tque available for 5/6th, you can use it if you'd like,
but not me!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2005, 11:02 AM   #10
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwjr
The e90 has six gears not five.
i never use the sixth gear.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2005, 11:08 AM   #11
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep

Garage List
maybe somepeople think they are going much faster the higher the gear. its all about torque gang!

quote:

When you drive a car and fall in love with its "horsepower," you're probably fawning over its torque. The two are intertwined, yes, but when it comes right down to it, torque is for driving, and horsepower is for bragging.

a BMW racing mentor provided me this link

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10895_7-6320329-1.html

hope it helps!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2005, 11:12 AM   #12
RedStripe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
I shift to DS mode anytime I need quick acceleration - such as merging onto a highway or quick lane changes.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2005, 11:14 AM   #13
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2005, 11:57 AM   #14
soj
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i, SP, PP, CW

Quote:

If you use the above, you'll burn a crapload of gas. Also, I don't think you can get to 35MPH in 1st gear and still be under 4000RPM.

For better gas mileage, use the above but increase each gear by 1. e.g., 2nd gear, 0-35MPH, all the way up to 6th gear.

for increased gas mileage, shifting before 4000RPM is recommended.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2005, 12:16 PM   #15
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by soj
If you use the above, you'll burn a crapload of gas. Also, I don't think you can get to 35MPH in 1st gear and still be under 4000RPM.

For better gas mileage, use the above but increase each gear by 1. e.g., 2nd gear, 0-35MPH, all the way up to 6th gear.

for increased gas mileage, shifting before 4000RPM is recommended.
I normally do it b4 4500, but i'll try and see the difference.

ok, let me observe that in my next formula wannabe drives sometime, will give full report, unless someone already have tried this.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2005, 07:56 PM   #16
shuzmaker
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 325iAS

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
maybe somepeople think they are going much faster the higher the gear. its all about torque gang!

quote:

When you drive a car and fall in love with its "horsepower," you're probably fawning over its torque. The two are intertwined, yes, but when it comes right down to it, torque is for driving, and horsepower is for bragging.

a BMW racing mentor provided me this link

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10895_7-6320329-1.html

hope it helps!

Nice article.
Appreciate 0