Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
For the petrol engines like the N54:

You can't run LL04 if you have high sulfur fuels.

That does not mean you can't run LL01 if you have low sulfur fuels, you can run either, it's up to you.

For the diesel engines with a DPF:

You must run LL04, which is spec'd for low SAPS (Sulphated Ash, Phosphorus, Sulphur), which is necessary for vehicles with a DPF.

Also, only EU plus Switzerland, Norway and Liechtenstein can run LL04 in the petrol engines.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/BMW-O...s-and-Recs.pdf

I think you are mixing up Diesel and Gas (Benzin) BMW engines with this whole BMW Long Life oil ratings.

BMW says you can not run a LL-1 oil with low sulfur fuel. For countries with low sulfur fuel, you need to run a BMW approved LL-4 rated oil. The UK as far as I know... has low sulfur fuel.

Here is BMW AG's listing of ALL approved LL-4 oils...

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...light=aka+list

You or can run any oil we want too. But what I am trying to explain to you... IS what BMW AG says you can use in their engines.

once again..,

LL-1 oils are only for HIGH Sulfur fuels (USA)
LL-4 oils are only for LOW Sulfur fuels (RoW)

In the early nineties BMW had a BIG problem with sulfur in the US fuels. This was when BMW has just introduced their 530/540/730/740i V8 engines. These engines started to develop zero compression due to poor cylinder compression. What BMW had found was the high sulfur in the US fuel has reacted with the Nikasil alloy piston bores and cylinderhead. BMW had to replace every engine under a huge recall program. Actually I think it was a TSB, but still BMW paid to replace many, many of these new V8 engines! These engines were covered for up to 100K miles - I foget for how many years though.

Since then... BMW has done A LOT of research when it comes to sulfur levels in the fuels available all over the world. Plus BMW tests many different oils in their engines. The ones that pass BMW tests... get their approval. (Long Life rating).

Please feel free to run what ever oil you want... but don't state you can run either (oil: LL-1 or LL-4) when you can most definately can not!

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 07:21 PM   #24
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I think you are mixing up Diesel and Gas (Benzin) BMW engines with this whole BMW Long Life oil ratings.

BMW says you can not run a LL-1 oil with low sulfur fuel. For countries with low sulfur fuel, you need to run a BMW approved LL-4 rated oil. The UK as far as I know... has low sulfur fuel.

Here is BMW AG's listing of ALL approved LL-4 oils...

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...light=aka+list

You or can run any oil we want too. But what I am trying to explain to you... IS what BMW AG says you can use in their engines.

once again..,

LL-1 oils are only for HIGH Sulfur fuels (USA)
LL-4 oils are only for LOW Sulfur fuels (RoW)

In the early nineties BMW had a BIG problem with sulfur in the US fuels. This was when BMW has just introduced their 530/540/730/740i V8 engines. These engines started to develop zero compression due to poor cylinder compression. What BMW had found was the high sulfur in the US fuel has reacted with the Nikasil alloy piston bores and cylinderhead. BMW had to replace every engine under a huge recall program. Actually I think it was a TSB, but still BMW paid to replace many, many of these new V8 engines! These engines were covered for up to 100K miles - I foget for how many years though.

Since then... BMW has done A LOT of research when it comes to sulfur levels in the fuels available all over the world. Plus BMW tests many different oils in their engines. The ones that pass BMW tests... get their approval. (Long Life rating).

Please feel free to run what ever oil you want... but don't state you can run either (oil: LL-1 or LL-4) when you can most definately can not!

Dackel
Sorry, not confusing diesel and petrol engines, I'm just going by the published documents that I've seen for why LL04 was created, which was specifically for diesel vehicles with a DPF, it doesn't say it was created for petrol engines that run low sulfur fuels.

BMW has never said you can't use LL01 with low sulfur petrol fuels, they've just said that you cannot use LL04 with high sulfur petrol fuels. Do you have any documentation that says differently? I haven't seen anything that refutes this, just documentation that says you can use LL04 oils in place of LL01 when you are using low sulfur petrol fuels.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 07:26 PM   #25
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Why does BMW AG say that you can only use LL1 oil as an emergency top up when they specify an LL4 oil spec?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 07:32 PM   #26
ND40oz
Major
Rep

Quote:
Why does BMW AG say that you can only use LL1 oil as an emergency top up when they specify an LL4 oil spec?
For the DPF engines that call for the LL04. Otherwise you'll clog the diesel particulate filter with longterm use of LL01.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 07:56 PM   #27
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Why does BMW AG say that you can only use LL1 oil as an emergency top up when they specify an LL4 oil spec? (for gasoline engines!)
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 08:00 PM   #28
ND40oz
Major
Rep

Quote:
Why does BMW AG say that you can only use LL1 oil as an emergency top up when they specify an LL4 oil spec? (for gasoline engines!)
What gasoline/petrol engine specifically calls for only the LL04 oil spec?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 08:25 PM   #29
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
What gasoline/petrol engine specifically calls for only the LL04 oil spec?

Geeez! Have you been reading this thread? We were(are!) talking about the 1M. The only person who have been talking about diesels is you.

BMW AG calls for BMW LL-4 oil for all gasoline engines in Germany (and most other european coutries)! Germany has low sulfur fuel.

BMW calls for LL-4 oil in gasoline engines (for use with low sulfur fuel sold here in Germany) is for: N51, N52, N53, N54, N55, N62, N63, M63LEV, N73, N74 - just to name a few.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 08:36 PM   #30
ND40oz
Major
Rep

Quote:
Geeez! Have you been reading this thread? We were(are!) talking about the 1M. The only person who have been talking about diesels is you.

BMW AG calls for BMW LL-4 oil for all gasoline engines in Germany (and most other european coutries)! Germany has low sulfur fuel.

BMW calls for LL-4 oil in gasoline engines (for use with low sulfur fuel sold here in Germany) is for: N51, N52, N53, N54, N55, N62, N63, M63LEV, N73, N74 - just to name a few.

Dackel
Of course I've been reading the thread.

What I'm saying is BMW doesn't call for only LL04 in all gasoline engines in Germany/EU, they state LL04 can be used, but not that it must be used.

That's the difference, it's acceptable to use LL04 with low sulfur petrol, but you don't have to use it with low sulfur petrol and you can't use it with high sulfur petrol. Check out all the threads on babybmw regarding LL04/LL01.

Quote:
Longlife-04 oils

These have been developed to guarantee an optimum service life for the particulate filter in diesel engines. These oils are stipulated for all diesel engines with particulate filter, but may also be used in almost all other BMW engines. Like Longlife-01 and Longlife-01 FE oils, they satisfy currently BMW's most stringent quality requirements. Longlife-04 oils must not be used in BMW spark-ignition engines in countries outside Europe (EU plus Switzerland, Norway and Liechtenstein).
Appreciate 0