BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-03-2008, 10:35 AM   #23
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by crucial523 View Post
I really apprecaite all of your comments looks like I'm still undecided... I thought the same thing as most that the silver is just a "SAFE" choice. But on the other hand I haven't gotten the chance to actually see the blue water so I would say that it would be a "risky" choice, even though I have seen some pictures of it on the forums. I got to admit it looks TIGHT. In the pictures it looks somewhat; silver, white, and a solid blue. What does it look like in person? My last car was a tC Black on Black, it was hard to keep up and I lived right next to a power line so I had bird dropping just about every other day that I had to clean... sucked this time I'm going to be more selective in where the house is located. Anyhow does anyone have pics of either they wouldn't mind sharing.
-And Lexington one of the reason I thought about Blue Water was because not everyone has one like AW. So I hear you.

And to answer the question about the test drive: the color was Monaco Blue Metallic, I drove it in Nipomo, CA which was a great place to test the car... which is now why I really want one badly.
I re-read through the posts and saw that most of them never suggested that silver was "safe". However, being a fantastic color, does eliminate any risk, so from that standpoint I suppose it is safe. You won't regret getting TiAg, that's for sure! Heck, silver is truly a great majestic color that enhances the look of the car. Pics can't do it justice. When I'm driving mine, the sun just dances off the car and it literally has a sparkle going almost all the time. It's like it's electric.

If any one color would be called "safe", it's obviously the Alpine White, which everybody and their brother ordered during the first wave. Often AW has a commercial look, but fortunately it looks very good on the 1er. So, if it's safe you want... get the AW. Even the Black is "safe". So many BMWs are black. Just look at the inventories some time, and you'll see tons of black BMWs. Be prepared for higher levels of cleaning, though, with the Black, as you have already experienced.

Now, if you are genuinely just choosing between the TiAg and the BWM as you originally suggested, then I think the vast majority of members that replied have made it as clear as possible to you that the silver is the better choice between those two. Why?... because it really is the better choice, my friend! Good luck!
      09-03-2008, 12:49 PM   #24
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taki View Post
I knew someone would call me on that. :wink: The difference is people view silver as a safe, unobjectionable color. It's bland and blends in too much.

Keep in mind this is coming from someone who is busy removing all silver/chrome from the exterior of the car. Black grilles are on, black wheels are next. I'd replace my aluminum interior trim with the CF if it was cheaper.
-----------------------------------------------

Interestingly, a research project in Britan suggests that there is a high degree of correlation between a persons basic personality and their choice of vehicle colour.
Sounds like you made the right choice.

Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.
Silver cars indicate someone who's cool, calm and slightly aloof.
Green cars can often be chosen by people with hysterical tendencies.
Yellow cars signify someone who is idealistic and novelty loving.
Blue cars are chosen by the more introspective, reflective and cautious driver.
Gray cars represent those who are calm, sober and dedicated to their work.
Red cars denote those who are full of zest, energy and drive and who think, move and talk quickly.
Pink cars are chosen by gentle, loving and affectionate drivers.
White cars represent status-seeking extrovert drivers.
Cream cars are the least likely to be involved in accidents and denote self-contained and controlled owners.
-------------------------------------------
      09-03-2008, 11:10 PM   #25
balaroue
Private
Rep
Drives:

Just my opinion...

I’ve seen silver everywhere, on every car... everywhere. I have a silver car, and other than white I think it’s the most selected color. Bluewater, you just don’t see.

I’ve seen one vert in BW, and it’s stunning. I’ve seen one BW coupe at a dealer... and it did catch my eye. I love the color on this car, but there was something about it that just didn’t look right. I don’t know if it was feminine looking, but it was something. After actually staring at it for a while, I finally figured out what I didn’t like. The wheels.

I think the silver wheels clash with the BW color. I think with a set of black or grey wheels, the BW would end up looking amazing. Maybe someone out there with BW & aftermarket wheels can post a pic? Maybe a photoshop?

Anyway, I vote BW. Way too much silver out there.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 09:31 AM   #26
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TagMan View Post
I re-read through the posts and saw that most of them never suggested that silver was "safe".
:biggrin:
Tag, I can see you're still swallowing the slight on TiAg.

You're still a wild dude in my books...
      09-04-2008, 11:03 AM   #27
uofmtiger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Of those two colors, I prefer the silver. The blue is just too feminine for my tastes. Although, I say that while I sit here in a baby blue shirt...okay for shirts, but not for cars? :biggrin:

As a side note, I do not think people buy black BMWs just because it is safe. The car just looks great in that color (when it is clean).
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 12:54 PM   #28
crucial523
Rep
Drives:

Man you guys just keep making it harder to decided. I didn't photo shop some black rims on the car and I went on tirerack.com and looked at the blue water with some black rims. It looked Right. But now I don't know. I don't want to buy the 1er, in something that I wont really like or after a while say why didn't I get this other color. But I value all your points and perspectives. I am now leaning over Silver. I tried looking for rims on that and I'm not sure what to get it leaning towards gunmetal if I do decide on getting Silver.
-But the one thing that does not let me make up my mind is exactly what Balaroue was saying that just about everything is in silver. I want my car to be a little different and I saw the post that Carnut posted and if that is true the Blue is more my style. But I will continue to do reach and I will read over this again right before I speak with the lady about the car and what COLOR I want it in. I highly appreciate the feed back... Thanks. vbmenu_register("postmenu_235238", true);
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 01:28 PM   #29
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnut View Post
-----------------------------------------------

Interestingly, a research project in Britan suggests that there is a high degree of correlation between a persons basic personality and their choice of vehicle colour.
Sounds like you made the right choice.

Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.
Silver cars indicate someone who's cool, calm and slightly aloof.
Green cars can often be chosen by people with hysterical tendencies.
Yellow cars signify someone who is idealistic and novelty loving.
Blue cars are chosen by the more introspective, reflective and cautious driver.
Gray cars represent those who are calm, sober and dedicated to their work.
Red cars denote those who are full of zest, energy and drive and who think, move and talk quickly.
Pink cars are chosen by gentle, loving and affectionate drivers.
White cars represent status-seeking extrovert drivers.
Cream cars are the least likely to be involved in accidents and denote self-contained and controlled owners.
-------------------------------------------
haha, that's why white is such a popular color on the 135i, jk

wonder what it says about the american people when white is now the most popular color, over silver

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 02:55 PM   #30
gio
Captain
Rep
Drives:

I'd say neither.

Silver was a huge fad color over the past 10 years but now it's going out of style. Just think how many silver Audis, Mercedes, VWs, and BMWs you've seen. When I bought my Audi TT in 2000 silver was the number 1 color choice and remained that way for most of the time I was active on audiworld. It's really shocking to see how few TiAg 1s you see now, though. I think there is beginning to be a bit of a backlash against the color because people are tired of it.

That said, silver is safe. It looks good day and night and it hides dirt very very well and will always have a decent resale value. It's not an eye-catching color anymore though.

I personally like blue water a lot but it is true it is a feminine color. I think it looks great on a convertable but I'm not sure if I would get it on a coupe. I tend to like the feminine colors though and if you are ok with it, I think it's a better choice than silver because it's a bit more unique and just as easy to keep clean. Blue water and lemon is particularly nice.

If you are looking for lighter colors, I'd consider alpine white. That seems to be the new in color now and I predict it will be the new silver.
      09-04-2008, 03:03 PM   #31
imported_McLovin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

I bought jet black and I'm kicking myself in the rear for not getting silver. I can never get it clean enough. If I had the time I would wash it every day. The car is always dirty! I had a silver car before this and I never had to wash it. Get silver.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 09:04 PM   #32
crucial523
Rep
Drives:

Gio- you make interesting points. How do you like the red? is the whole myth true that you are more prone to getting pulled over? and the fact that it is a little girl is what has me thinking silver might just be the choice plus all the input on this thread.

Mclovin- I'm leaning towards silver... especailly for the cleaning. I don't have much time when I'm the states with all the EXTRA crap you have to do for the ARMY. But you just got to roll with the punches. But I will maintain the car clean. I don't know about not washing it.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2008, 12:28 AM   #33
balaroue
Private
Rep
Drives:

I have to say TR's version of the bluewater color is poor. It's just not that "blue".
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2008, 12:50 AM   #34
volgrad1985
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

My personal choice was Space Gray (but would've been Sparkling Graphite, if available in 09), however of your 2 choices I prefer Blue Water because it is slightly out of the ordinary but still classy looking.
- Black Leather/Gray Poplar
- 6 Speed Manual Transmission
- Premium Package
- Xenon Headlights
- Heated Seats
- Comfort Access
- iPOD/USB Adaptor
- Aluminum Pedals and Footrest
Ordered 13Aug08...Performance Center Delivery 24Oct08
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2008, 01:54 AM   #35
Motorsports_3
E30 Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135, 1988 325

It depends on your interior. If you are going with black interior id go with TiAg, if you are going with Beige I would choose bluewater.
      09-05-2008, 02:35 AM   #36
BMWDave
Totally Add1cted
Australia
Rep
Drives: X1 Xdrive23d

Garage List
2011 BMW X1 23d  [7.66]
Coming from someone with a bright BLUE car (Le Mans - it's gorgeous!) rather than the white & black posters of earlier, I do agree with a few other posters that personally, i feel the Blue Water is a bit feminine but would probably look very sharp. If they were my colour choices, i'd be going with TiAg.

I've been told that Black, White and Silver are the most popular colours and are easier to sell on the used car market. I was also told by my dealer upon picking up mine that there are very few people with the cajones to order blue cars (of any hue) yet everytime a blue car shows up, everyone comment on how great it looks. I'm sure that applies to other colours such as that mustard yellow colour you could get on an E46 M3 and not just blue.

End of the day, blue is my favourite colour and I didn't even give the colour of my car a 2nd thought. It was always going to be Le Mans Blue for me. It's not for everyone but neither is my car. It's mine (until I sell it) and blue is what makes me happy now. I suggest you choose the colour you feel the same about and not look back :smile:
      09-05-2008, 01:18 PM   #37
gio
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Gio- you make interesting points. How do you like the red? is the whole myth true that you are more prone to getting pulled over? and the fact that it is a little girl is what has me thinking silver might just be the choice plus all the input on this thread.

Mclovin- I'm leaning towards silver... especailly for the cleaning. I don't have much time when I'm the states with all the EXTRA crap you have to do for the ARMY. But you just got to roll with the punches. But I will maintain the car clean. I don't know about not washing it.
I love Sedona Red. I wasn't sure about it at first but it has really grown on me. It's such a unique color and I get comments on it all the time. I don't think the myth about being pulled over is true (or at least not any more). I've yet to get pulled over in my 1 (not that I've gotten pulled over many times in life anyways). I think the type of the car is much more a factor in whether you get pulled over.
      09-06-2008, 12:02 PM   #38
crucial523
Rep
Drives:

Gio- I actually thought about Crimson Red, due to the prices going up on the 09'. But the Silver and Blue Water I think would just make me aprreciate the car a little more. The CR would just have me wanting to race and act like a kid all over again (doesn't sound like a bad idea), but i want this 1 to last me. You got pics of your car?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2008, 02:14 PM   #39
crucial523
Rep
Drives:

I would just like to thank everyone in here I really appreciate your opinion and expertise. My wife saw the Space Gray and she was like that one I like that one. So that is what i decided to get I though the Silver was just to common like everyone was stating and the Blue water was a little girly. So Space Gray is what I went with. I placed my order they should start building it this month. 128i (2009) Space Gray, Sport Package, Comfort Access, Parking Distance Control, NAV w/ HD radio, Gray Poplar Wood and Xexon lights. I have Rims picked out already just waiting to get the car and then I'll buy those with some tires and get the windows some good tints. Well once again I really want to thank everyone in here that helped me out. It was a hard process.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2008, 02:43 PM   #40
flpnout
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Dinan S3 Z4-35i

Garage List
2010 E89 Z4  [7.83]
Titanium Silver is too common on a lot of BMWs since 2002 on the 3 series. I lean towards the blue.
      09-13-2008, 02:46 PM   #41
flpnout
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Dinan S3 Z4-35i

Garage List
2010 E89 Z4  [7.83]
Space Gray is nice too. Good Choice!!
      09-13-2008, 04:34 PM   #42
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Personally, I'd go with silver. Silver is a straight-up honest color of its own. Blue water looks like someone tried to go for blue, failed, then threw some silver in to smooth it out. :wink: (Actually, I don't like the color for another reason...I once worked for a jerk who owned a BMW coupe that was painted a sort of blue water-ish color. So that may have turned me off of the light blues.)

Just my own tastes...go with what makes you happy. And thanks for your service!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2008, 04:51 PM   #43
uofmtiger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I would just like to thank everyone in here I really appreciate your opinion and expertise. My wife saw the Space Gray and she was like that one I like that one. So that is what i decided to get I though the Silver was just to common like everyone was stating and the Blue water was a little girly. So Space Gray is what I went with. I placed my order they should start building it this month. 128i (2009) Space Gray, Sport Package, Comfort Access, Parking Distance Control, NAV w/ HD radio, Gray Poplar Wood and Xexon lights. I have Rims picked out already just waiting to get the car and then I'll buy those with some tires and get the windows some good tints. Well once again I really want to thank everyone in here that helped me out. It was a hard process.
I prefer Space Gray to either of your other choices.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2008, 05:39 PM   #44
morgie2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i convertible

Don't understand the lack of love for Blue Water. Isn't bue the color for baby BOYS? Why is it considered feminine. I think it's awesome. Grey and silver are common and somewhat boring.
Appreciate 0