BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-26-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
Bitco23
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i Msport

135i swaying and feeling unbalanced on road

Hey guys, i really need some advice or direction. I'm having this weird issue no can seem to figure out, ive been to 2 different BMW and and a couple local shops.

Im having this weird "swaying" and unbalanced feel to the car when daily driving . Whenever i hit any little dip in the road the car seems to pull aggressively any which direction. Even when do sharp turns it feels like its giving out and i start to slide. I have had the alignment checked with all new tires, wheel bearing and full suspension check. BMW tech said it sounded like tires, got them replaced and still doing it. I always feel like constantly trying to over correct the car while driving. It just feels very lose in general, im getting coils installed in a week so maybe that will fix it to tighten it up but i wasn't sure.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitco23 View Post
Hey guys, i really need some advice or direction. I'm having this weird issue no can seem to figure out, ive been to 2 different BMW and and a couple local shops.

Im having this weird "swaying" and unbalanced feel to the car when daily driving . Whenever i hit any little dip in the road the car seems to pull aggressively any which direction. Even when do sharp turns it feels like its giving out and i start to slide. I have had the alignment checked with all new tires, wheel bearing and full suspension check. BMW tech said it sounded like tires, got them replaced and still doing it. I always feel like constantly trying to over correct the car while driving. It just feels very lose in general, im getting coils installed in a week so maybe that will fix it to tighten it up but i wasn't sure.
strut mounts, perhaps? although that generally causes more of a clunk...but can lead to some 'roaming'.

you should probably tell the details of your car...like if you are lowered, any suspension mods, etc..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 04:27 PM   #3
Bitco23
Enlisted Member
Rep

Now that you say that i do here a clunk every so often when i go over a bump in the road, and no suspension work yet, all i have is bolt ons, exhaust, intake, jb4, charge pipe and BOV. but i guess i'll find out when i pull the suspension out for the coilovers. thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #4
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

What tires are you running?

Are you trying to power out of turns? Poor tires, not enough toe in the rear...etc can cause the rear to start ans slip out. For example my Hankook tires, when cold (aka normal driving) any sudden gas or throttle will start to spin the tires.

It can me a number of things, and ultimately not driving the car personally any suggestions are a shot in the dark.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 01:46 PM   #5
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

gonna go with either soft tires or more likely you're feeling the subframe bushings. Makes the rear end of the car feel super wiggly and unstable.
      08-29-2013, 02:40 PM   #6
miro2296
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Montego Blue BMW 135i

I assume your new tires are still Runflats? I believe the Stock rear subframe bushings just flat out suck and give us this feeling.
BMW 135i/6 Speed/Montego Blue/Formula One Ceramic Tint/JB4 G4/AA Sport Intercooler/19 inch Iconz 880Z(19X8.5 & 19X10)/PSS 225/35 & 265/30/E93 M3 front sway bar/TRW front and rear Control Arms/BMS Drop In Filter/Dinan Exhaust/BlackLines/Upgraded \\\M RSFB
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 02:49 PM   #7
headsup7up
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: CSM 135i

Ive seen this in a few cars, its prob the rear shocks. i would wait to see if the coils fix it before touching anything else because they more than likely will solve the issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 04:25 PM   #8
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 370z & 135i

excessive toe or rear bushings, imo.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 01:19 AM   #9
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

IMO, weird and unstable direction changes are very normal for the 1 series. The problem comes from the rear sub-frame bushes. It seems a bit worse in the 135i because of having more power and shorter wheelbase. The cars have a weird unsettled feeling from new and progressively get worse as the rubber bushings age.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 08:33 AM   #10
lastMleft
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_01 View Post
IMO, weird and unstable direction changes are very normal for the 1 series. The problem comes from the rear sub-frame bushes. It seems a bit worse in the 135i because of having more power and shorter wheelbase. The cars have a weird unsettled feeling from new and progressively get worse as the rubber bushings age.

I here this ^^^on this forum, but i am yet to expierence this "weird unstable direction changes", maybe this instability happens to some 1er's, and don't get it twisted I push my car hard, IMO my 135i handles as good if not better than my e46 M3 did, the major dif between the two is LSD.

I don't think the 135i was made to be a super car.

But like all cars the 135i can always be improved, better dampers, tires, control arms, strute brace, better bushings, the list goes on.

I try not to read into some comments because I feel like some think the 135i should be perfect or like a 1m, or a M3, but folks that own the later two mod them to lol.... if your car does not perform well fix it, if it dosent handle to your expectation buy another, or spend the $ to get it there.

Just saying.....
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 09:08 AM   #11
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

What the OP wrote about "feeling like the rear end starts to slide" is exactly what I felt with the stock rear subframe bushes. In my case it wasn't the rear tires reaching their limit. It felt like the rear was getting loose, but there was no squealing of tires. In my understanding, the cornering forces applied to the rear subframe bushes makes the rear of the car feel loose when pushed around a corner. Now I realise that before having M3 rear subframe bushes installed, the car would hardly track straight down a suburban street. I am not expecting it to be like a supercar, but IMO that is not how a BMW should drive. I guess different people's opinions will vary though.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 09:19 AM   #12
lastMleft
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_01 View Post
What the OP wrote about "feeling like the rear end starts to slide" is exactly what I felt with the stock rear subframe bushes. In my case it wasn't the rear tires reaching their limit. It felt like the rear was getting loose, but there was no squealing of tires. In my understanding, the cornering forces applied to the rear subframe bushes makes the rear of the car feel loose when pushed around a corner. Now I realise that before having M3 rear subframe bushes installed, the car would hardly track straight down a suburban street. I am not expecting it to be like a supercar, but IMO that is not how a BMW should drive. I guess different people's opinions will vary though.

Again, I push mine hard and have not yet feel what others say, IMO it handles pretty good for stock, not perfect by any means.

" Hardly track straight down a suburban street" <<<explain this please?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 09:43 AM   #13
lowbudgethero
Captain
Rep
Drives: '98 Z3M (gone), '09 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
On a bumpy highway doing 80mph i feel a little wiggle, but I don't get any direction changes or feel like the car is going to change direction or slide. Maybe I just have a higher tolerance from driving so many shitty cars. Your tire/wheel combo could be causing some tramlining where they will follow groves and dips in the road.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 01:06 PM   #14
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

This is a very ambiguous description you are giving. It could be a number of things: failing subframe bushings, any sort of engine mount/strut mount, shocks going bad, tires, anything really. Throw on the coils and let us know what you think.

-Mike
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 08:35 AM   #15
Bitco23
Enlisted Member
Rep

I'm running Kuhmo's, i know they're shitty tires and non run flats. i bought all new hardware from ECS tuning and hopefully this will fix any issues i might have.
and higher speed it feels really dangerous, its actually my front end that feels really loose but ill keep you guys posted if thats the fix for it!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #16
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukuss View Post
I here this ^^^on this forum, but i am yet to expierence this "weird unstable direction changes", maybe this instability happens to some 1er's, and don't get it twisted I push my car hard, IMO my 135i handles as good if not better than my e46 M3 did, the major dif between the two is LSD.
My brother has an e46 m3 and to say the 135i handles just as good or better is just not true. An e46 m3 will chew and spit out a 135i on any road course or track day there not even in the same leauge that's an insult to bmw M division to say that. Now straight line perofrmance of course the 135i will dog the e46 but on a Road course its not the same
Mods:-Berkexhaust -alpinaB3flash -CobbAP -Cobb FMIC -ER charge pipe tialQ bov -M3 front sway bar -M3 subframe bushings -M3 front upper and lower control arms -M3 guide rods -M3 rear upper control arms -Mfactory LSD -defiv lockdown kit -TC Kline SA coilovers /camber plates- HP rear toe arms
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 11:42 AM   #17
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie1 View Post
My brother has an e46 m3 and to say the 135i handles just as good or better is just not true. An e46 m3 will chew and spit out a 135i on any road course or track day there not even in the same leauge that's an insult to bmw M division to say that. Now straight line perofrmance of course the 135i will dog the e46 but on a Road course its not the same
+1 all bushings much harder on e46 sway feeling everything. We have to invest a lot to come close to e46 m3
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 12:02 PM   #18
lowbudgethero
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
I disagree, steering feel is just as good on the 135i, ratio is quicker and the chassis feels tighter and lighter. Only problem with it is it will understeer and roll at the limit and the electronic limited slip sucks at low speeds. However, this does help with getting on the throttle early without going into an unintended slide. Throttle response of the 135i is way better, just there is that unsatisfying feeling of torque dropping off at high rpm. While the m3 feels down on power comparatively until you rev it.

With the same tires the 135i should be pretty close to the e46 on the track, and while they have different dynamics but should be pretty close in terms of times. Stock for stock 135i is a better road car to take to the track and the m3 is better track to to take on the road. Yet, to say the m3 will chew and spit it out is a gross overstatement.

Add some coilovers and stiffer bushings if that's what bothers you, but I was chasing after many e46 m3s before I decided I liked the 135i better.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #19
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbudgethero View Post
I disagree, steering feel is just as good on the 135i, ratio is quicker and the chassis feels tighter and lighter. Only problem with it is it will understeer and roll at the limit and the electronic limited slip sucks at low speeds. However, this does help with getting on the throttle early without going into an unintended slide. Throttle response of the 135i is way better, just there is that unsatisfying feeling of torque dropping off at high rpm. While the m3 feels down on power comparatively until you rev it.

With the same tires the 135i should be pretty close to the e46 on the track, and while they have different dynamics but should be pretty close in terms of times. Stock for stock 135i is a better road car to take to the track and the m3 is better track to to take on the road. Yet, to say the m3 will chew and spit it out is a gross overstatement.

Add some coilovers and stiffer bushings if that's what bothers you, but I was chasing after many e46 m3s before I decided I liked the 135i better.
Ill give you that the steering feel is "nice " but saying the 135i has better throttle response is just moot point, I am aware that they can finish close to the same track times around a road course but the simple fact is the 135i is a hammer compared to an e46 m3 it has what a 100lbs more torque compared to the NA S54 weight is very similar but still can't beat the m3 In the same road course with a more powerful motor? I'm not bashing the 135i I love mine wouldn't trade it for an E46 m3. I'm just saying come on the E46 m3 was made in 2000 the 135i is 8years younger. It's comparing an Orange and apple it won't add up

This video is a great comparison guys the 135i is a great car it just wasn't built for the track like the M cars (or the M cars of yesterday)

Mods:-Berkexhaust -alpinaB3flash -CobbAP -Cobb FMIC -ER charge pipe tialQ bov -M3 front sway bar -M3 subframe bushings -M3 front upper and lower control arms -M3 guide rods -M3 rear upper control arms -Mfactory LSD -defiv lockdown kit -TC Kline SA coilovers /camber plates- HP rear toe arms
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #20
lowbudgethero
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Ill give you that the steering feel is "nice " but saying the 135i has better throttle response is just moot point, I am aware that they can finish close to the same track times around a road course but the simple fact is the 135i is a hammer compared to an e46 m3 it has what a 100lbs more torque compared to the NA S54 weight is very similar but still can't beat the m3 In the same road course with a more powerful motor? I'm not bashing the 135i I love mine wouldn't trade it for an E46 m3. I'm just saying come on the E46 m3 was made in 2000 the 135i is 8years younger. It's comparing an Orange and apple it won't add up

This video is a great comparison guys the 135i is a great car it just wasn't built for the track like the M cars (or the M cars of yesterday)

I wasn't really saying the m3 isn't a better track car, I was saying the 135i wouldn't be "chewed up". The 135i is down on peak power from the m3 despite the torque. With a better ride the 135i can almost do what the m3 can while being down 30 extra horsepower.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #21
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

OP - you should also check your sway bar end links. These dog bone like bushing have a tendency to break at one end - making your sway bar inop.

Please keep us updated on this.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 08:12 PM   #22
lastMleft
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I owned them both and they are both great cars, they are even in my book
Appreciate 0